Show Your Work 2003 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #316
Wrangler

Yeah it's a GL-1 with a wide angle adapter. The regular show "Trading Spaces" (not the family edition) has host Paige Davis using a GL-1 as well. It's pretty corny though because when they show footage she shot they do an overlay that says "Paige Cam" and add the cheesy graphics to make it look like a home video camera...even including the "record" message and flashing red dot at the bottom of the screen.

*WHY do I know this, you may ask.....my gf forces me to watch the stupid show!*
Old July 7th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #317
Obstreperous Rex

See previous discussions of this topic at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=1896

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6471

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6026

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #318
Regular Crew

Making a documentary

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience in trying to get a documentary on the tv?
Who and how would you approach companies for finance?
It seems like you have to get the broadcasters interested first but how do you go about it?
Send a treatment? A full script? With a docu' this is a little tricky.
I'd love to just film on dv, edit it together and then see what the boadcasters think - except that a big part of it has to be filmed in LA - im in Cambridge.
It wouldnt need many people to get involved and the filming in LA would take just a week.
Production companies have said theyd be interested in filming it - but ofcourse they would, i would too! but they're interested once they're paid...

How does sponsership of a show work? For instance, the docu is about Soul music. KFC have started a new ad campaign with 'Soul Food' a big part of the new sell. Anyone know how I could approach the likes of KFC to fund it, making it beneficial to them?
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #319
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Lady X in Istanbul...Episode 06!

Having retrieved the mini disc from Fagan in Taipei, Lady X bolts straight for the Bosphorous Strait to find out whether all that glitters is gold.

Go to http://www.ladyxfilms.com and click the "Current Episode" link.

The Lady X Crew

================
Episode 06 Details:

Directed by: Emin Firat Övür
Produced by: Mahmut Övür
Written by: E. Firat Övür,The Kirayoglu Bros.
Production Assistant: Julide Övür
Edited by: Ozgur Keskin, Savas Dogan

Cast: Zulal Neyzi (Lady X); Alpkan Kirayoglu (Agent 1); Emir Ahmet Agsu (Agent 2); Alphan Kirayoglu (The Antiquary)

Crew: E. Firat Övür (everything)

Music: Composed and performed by E. Firat Övür-Ceyhun Nursen, Firat Polat
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #320
RED Code Chef

27 episodes is aroun 3.15 hours which at full resolution will indeed
not fit on one DVD. We'd need at least two for that. And then
there is the matter of NTSC & PAL episodes... ehehehe. Getting
all the episodes in full resolution QuickTime on a DVD might be
possible (technically) though.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #321
Wrangler

"What the Hell!"

I love that line.
Old July 11th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #322
Major Player

Well, if you like, but don't hold me to it... well you can... but yeah

I could wip up a simple flash type interface on an interactive cd-rom and inbed the movies into it. Then put bio's and so on.

I could burn it with a toast iso, so it will autorun on a mac or pc.

We can see, sure would be cheaper, can just put little plastic slips and ship out like that...

Zac
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #323
Inner Circle

movie posting

Hi everyone,
I'm posting a small (real small) short that we're submitting to a festival and wouldn't mind getting some feedback on it. The file is an MP4, and is nearly 25 megs long. Love to hear what people think. The password is "smokers."

https://www1.ibackup.com/L/QMDL?U=ma...DSYXWSL3373718
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #324
Capt. Quirk

Interesting, but I'm not sure I get it. It was shot well, and the audio came out nice though.
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #325
Inner Circle

Hmmm. The scene is actually an excerpt from a feature-length film called "Smokers" that we are still editing. We were planning to test the waters with a short, feeling that this scene was well enough self contained to stand alone. But if it feels incomplete or confusing, maybe this isn't such a good strategy. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get a reaction from people on these boards before sending the thing out to festivals -- to find out if this excerpt is able to stand alone.
Thanks.
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #326
High School Student

These are just some picky things I picked out that you can remember for in future projects you do, i'm just trying to criticise it as much as I can, so that you can make your stuff better, so don't take it the wrong way:

Let me start out by saying it looked very good, and the audio was good also.

Anyway:

1. Continuity, when the girl in the pink was coming out of the stall, and going to the sinks, that cut stuck out like a sore thumb.

2. This is perhaps too picky, but from what I know, the colors of clothing they had on weren't good choices, white isn't good for dark skin tones, and pink/red is just bad for DV, period...

3. When you edit, instead of cutting back and forth between them on every line they say, try overlapping the audio with a shot of the other person, you'll notice this used in most cuts in movies and TV.

4. IMO, I don't think it was self contained enough to stand alone, it does feel incomplete and confusing.

I'd be interesting in seeing the final movie though, also, i'd consider re-editing that to make it have better pacing (shorter) for the feature length.

Good work.
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #327
Wrangler

I'm at work right now so I can't view it till later- what's the plot?
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #328
Inner Circle

The clip is basically a dialog between two women in adjoining bathroom stalls, with one teasing the other about her experimentation with lesbianism during college. To me, the narrative has an arc, with a definitive conclusion, and that was why I had hoped it would stand alone. Still, as a writer, I’ve learned to neither take criticisms too personally, or disregard someone’s comments even when I don’t agree. There’s a reason people have the reaction that they do. The comment about the cut when Robin (the girl in pink) stands up and walks to the sink is interesting. This cut was the biggest point of contention during editing, with the director wanting to cut away sooner. Maybe she was right after all, and I was trying too hard to keep the titillation factor (the actress’ dress rides way up on her thighs when she stands up). You can also see that she still has the tampon in her hand, which is a continuity problem.
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #329
Major Player

"I'm with Busey" shot on XL1S

I'm surprised I"m admitting I watched this show on Comedy Central but if nothing else I got to see that they shot it on XL1's.

You can see some of the secondary camera men from the shot being shown racing around with XL1s.

Uh... other then that I really don't know what I can say about the show...

Gary Busey. Some kid host of the show. They do stuff and it's shown on television.

I'm just jealous I didn't think of it first.

"Get insane actor. have him torture some kid on camera... shoot it... put it on TV."
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #330
Major Player

I watched through it briefly on my computer monitor but one thing that did strike me was that it's really bright in that bathroom, especially in the stalls.

I liked that when they came out even though the tiles were shiny you couldn't see the reflections of the set lights... but still it was very bright.

Is this the final? Are you going to do anything to it in Post?

If so, you could probably kick up the contrast a little bit and take care of it... then again, it's my first impression and sometimes filmmakers obsess about the strangest things.

;)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work