Show Your Work 2003 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2003, 02:06 PM   #451
Regular Crew

It's a soap opera
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #452
Inner Circle

review of Joshua Calling

Great first effort (as far as features go). The story was original and the lead did a great job without going over the top.

Without giving away the ending... the movie takes a sympathetic and sometimes humorous look at someone with Multiple Personality Disorder. Unlike what typically happens with a hollywood disease/victim of the week shlock (good guy/bad guy), the '2' main characters are both sympathetic and likable.

The long repressed and suddenly emergent 'Joshua' decides to catch up with all that he has missed, and fearing imminent extinction, lives life to the fullest and sometimes lowest.

The acting ranges from great (David Hippchen whos plays the lead character has great screen presence and was able to do the subtle nuances between the two with great affect) to completely unconvincing (the Psychiatrist, sorry, not gonna post the name).

Kudos also go to Craig Frank in a supporiting role as an African American with a somewhat bemused but concerned outlook at all that is going on around him.

More importantly, while the script has a few holes, ...it never decends into phony sentimentality. As I wrote in the above, the psychiatrist was almost unbearabley unconvincing, and considering what he did, one would have expected a lot more guilt and chagrin. Instead he comes off like someone who finally owned up to a college prank pulled a long time ago.

But aside from that, you get the impression, these are people acting very much like all of us would in real life. No over the top melodrama, no artifical rage. No telling the audience when to laugh and when to cry. No phony intense rants at 'the system'. Just people trying to cope with a difficult situation and not doing very well.

Even with it techinical/artistic faults, Brian has shown himself to be a filmmaker who treats his audience with respect and gives them a chance to figure things out for themselves.
Allowing, even expecting, them to make their own judgements.

This is increasingly rare and welcome in this age of template based movie and television programming.

Visually, the movie for the most part projected quite well in the smallish Paradiso theater. Only a few areas where the limitations of DV25 footage showed up. (I think the screen was about 50 feet wide, and they were projecting directly from a DV cam deck)
As usual the colors were a little washed out.

There were also a couple of scene changes that were jarring simply becuase they lacked a proper segway from one to another. The low lit party scenes were a little muddy, but still watchable.
Believe me though, these are minor quibbles.

Some people remarked they thought the movie too long. I disagree, the filmmakers explored the characters right to the artistic and logical end.

All this done by a couple of 20 year old kids from Plantation Florida.
No excuse folks. None for the rest of us.
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #453
Inner Circle

Just think, the Mayor of Canton will be pulling his/her hair out if this gets on TV. hehehe. rightous dude!!!
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #454
Capt. Quirk

O.K., so I have twenty years on the kid, but I'm working on it! But seriously, I am always happy to hear someone has brought life to their project, no matter what it is. Just as long as they put the best of themselves into it.

What kind of production info can you get for us?
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #455
Major Player

Doc Pics Posted

I've finally been given permission to post some frame grabs on my site from the documentary we've been shooting (my brother and myself) since May. Between us, we have about 30 hours logged! The Doc is on the making of a statue for the Flight Centennial and the Wright Brother's Memorial Park.

A North Carolina Sculptor (Stephen Smith) is making a life-size bronze sculpture of the Wright Brothers and John Daniels (the man who took the famous picture of the plane taking off) - and a forty-foot replica of the 1903 flyer in stainless steel. The statue will make its way to Kitty Hawk in November to be installed for the December 12-17 Flight Centennial. We'll be shooting through the Centennial - an almost seven month project (not counting editing!).

We're going to try to get three different docs from the footage - (1) a musuem piece of about 15 minutes or so on the making of the statue; (2) a technical "how-to" of bronze casting for art schools; and (3) a short piece to submit to film festivals (which could be the same as the museum piece!).

The artist is an amazing talent, as you can see in some of the pics. Let me know what you think. No video yet, but I'm working on two clips to post on the site. The state of NC will not let me post anything that resembles the finished piece - so that it can be saved for the unveiling!

PS: No need to critique the simplistic NetObjects site. It is what it is and I'm not a pro web-master!

Go to: www.mdmoore.org - then to the MEDIA link, then to STILLS. You'll see a link for the Wright Brothers. The direct link is: http://www.mdmoore.org/html/wright_bros_.html
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #456
Inner Circle

Keith, you can go to www.joshuacalling.com and click the contact to get more info. Let them know you talked to me at dvinfo.

I know this..
They used a JVC DV500 for shooting and what appears to be a pro light kit.
The movie was edited on a PC based system using Premier and a Matrox RT100 (so much for needing FCP/Vegas or Avid to do a feature).

They went around to local high schools, colleges and dinner theaters (I think) leaving flyers about his film and asking for auditions. From what I've heard they really hustled to get this movie made (I got a chance to talk to friends and relatives at the premier)

The film was written and produced and directed by JONATHAN ZIETZ and BRIAN ROSENTHAL .

While this movie is far from perfect, it obvious they put the best of themselves in it. It's also obvious they are new at doing a feature vs a short.

Have to understand, I am a big fan of films by Goddard and Cassavetes and others like them, so I like well done character oriented films. This movie may not be everyones cupatea.

I also like scfi, fantasy and action movies, but don't take them serioiusly at all.

Keith if you are looking for talent, the best three of this movie are...
David Hippchen who plays the lead
Craig Frank who plays his best freind (very handsome African American)
Mark Vaskez who plays the drug dealer.
Vaskez was only on the sceen a short time, but when he was
on, he owned it. Intense.
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #457
Capt. Quirk

Joe- I am looking for talent, but due to the fact I have no budget, I'm looking closer to home.

However, threat of no pay doesn't seem to be a deterrent. I have a fellow in Louisiana that was interested in my production. Even after being completely up front, he continued to respond. What can you say to that kind of determination? You have a part!
I have also recieved replies from California and Las Vegas. Some of these people have some impressive credits on their resume. You can't believe how stoked I am about this!

I need another 40 or so bodies to fill various roles I think my biggest problem will be to find some females to fill roles with brief nudity. If all else fails, I'll end up in the strip clubs looking for talent.

I even had someone in New York see my post here, and offer to come help with production.
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #458
Tourist

Your comments are very much appreciated, unfortunately I just found out I didn't win the contest. Oh well. I'd like to believe it's because of the graphic nature of the piece but we'll never know will we. And about the relevance to the song- it actually does if you break down the lyrics a bit (at least in my twisted head). Thanks again.
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #459
Air China Pilot

Buy the BMW Films on DVD for only shipping

They charge only shipping (multiplied for each additional one, though).

http://intl.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?te...y=canada&film=

It is rumoured to also include the Wong Kar Wai film that was originally not included in the free DVDs they sent out because of rights issues.
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #460
Trustee

I recently purchased the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD and it came with 3 BMW films. They also included a Windows Media Player Hi Def version of the entire feature as well, which looks just gorgeous on my laptop. It does make the fan kick on pretty quickly though - some serious brain work going on for the CPU.

I guess they did all that since when Standing in the Shadows came out in limited theaters, Microsoft and BMW had outfitted about 24 indie theaters around the nation with digital projectors to show what Media Player 9 can do.

Pretty neat stuff.
Old August 27th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #461
New Boot

just a FYI ... if you own a BMW you don't even have to pay for the shipping... or atleast you didn't use to have to. Just had to give them some info about your car
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #462
Regular Crew

This is pretty popular, I know a bunch of people who have competed in it and used DV.

http://www.48hourfilm.com/

Levelse7en@gmail.com
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #463
Regular Crew

They would send you a season 1 dvd for free even if you didn't own a BMW if you just called and asked (it's sitting in my library). Because of rights issues however, they couldn't put "The Follow" on the disc, one of my favorites. From the description "eight films" that would seem to imply it includes *all* 5 films of season 1, plus the 3 films from season 2.

Order in progress...

As a total aside, anybody else think Clive Owen really needs to be the next James Bond, to bring the series back to respectability?
Old August 28th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #464
New Boot

Bond will never be the same now that Cubby and Ian are out of the picture,... as evidenced by Bond 20.

but seeing as how Pierce Brosnan is getting old and has said only one more movie at the most. I don't think Clive would be a bad choice for Bond. There are a few other people also that i've heard mentioned that might fit it pretty well also.

one thing to keep in mind is that no one will ever be Bond except Connery, IMO. :D
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #465
Air China Pilot

Clive is not classically handsome. But then I'd like to see Bond return to the drunkard vicious fighting bastard that he was to begin with.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work