Show Your Work 2007 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #241
Regular Crew

Ryan vs Dorkman II

For those of you who havn't seen Ryan vs Dorkman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NE5elL30w4

For those of you that have, Ryan vs Dorkman II came out today:
http://www.ryanvsdorkman.com/

Notice: I did not make this. I am simply wanting to show what hard work and dedication can do. (Plus, it's pretty cool)

Enjoy.

SB
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #242
Regular Crew

Ink Blot

Hi.

Here's a link to my short film, "Ink Blot" which I would like to get some honest feedback on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvB-Nc9sds

It's not perfect, and there's some things I'm still working on but hopefully any feedback I can get will help me to improve it.

Thanks,

Krystian.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #243
Major Player

New clip from Raising the Bar 2

Here's another short clip from the upcoming RTB2. This one is from just a few weeks before the Masters Nationals last year. Our cousin Joe Pulcinella Jr was on hand to shoot pictures for an arm training article for Muscle Mag.

www.photojoe.com/blog

The music was written especially for the documentary by Martin Bailey.
http://www.myspace.com/powerescape

Last edited by Michael Pulcinella; March 6th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #244
Regular Crew

"A Good Life: The Joe Grushecky Story" - Mini-Trailer

This is a mini-trailer for a documentary we are working on about Pittsburgh musician Joe Grushecky. Its been alot of work, but an incredible experience as well. We have interviewed alot of great people along the way and there may be a couple that some folks may recognize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoL8uqBjG34
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #245
Regular Crew

Very cute :) I imagine everyone enjoyed them.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #246
Regular Crew

Very very decent, strong message. Deals with a lot of very real issues in a pretty artistic way.

Just about the ONLY thing I didn't like was the dramatic change from the operating room to the recovery room. The colors/lighting/mood changed, and having seen it to the end, I see why you did it, but I just think it could've been done a little differently.

It seemed very out of place in an incorrect way, not in a "I wonder what is about to happen" way. It looked like a mistake, though as I said, I see why you did it.

Good short, well put together. Keep up the good work :)
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #247
Regular Crew

Tasty. I want to know more about the guy. Your trailer is a success.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #248
Regular Crew

First off, I love the DVX100 picture :) I've always been a fan, and you played to the camera's visual strength well.

I can only pretend that I really knew what this film was about. I watched it twice and still am a little bit in the dark, but I think I've got the gist. I won't post here, of course, because of spoilers.

I liked it, it was, as you said, abstract, but here's the thing. You shot it in an almost "normal" way. Since the film was so abstract by design, I really think you should've shot it in a more abstract way. Get a little more creative, a little crazier in your shots, some effects might not hurt either.

I don't know what the stipulations were for the contest, and this was a decent short, very professionally done, I just think you could've played up this a bit more on the artistic front.

Keep it up :)
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #249
Regular Crew

Pretty good, actually, I really enjoyed the way this short went down. The acting and pacing was iffy at the start of the film, I started to write a review saying that the technical aspects of the film were very good, just some of the writing and directing were eh...

But as the film concluded, I definately see that I was mistaken. Though the opening of the film could still be a little tighter...

The only real technical issue I did not enjoy was the POV shot at the end. Wasn't sure how I felt about that... I think you should've gone to black like you did in the office after the gunshot. But artistic decision, I suppose...

Good work :)
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #250
Regular Crew

Indeed, cool short. Unfortunately I didn't feel like it had the "ferocity" of the first one. The first one seemed like a more intense fight, but the effects and new situations in this one definately made up for it. I came out smiling :) I would most definately recommend seeing the high-quality DivX version over the YouTube. It made a big difference from the first viewing on YouTube to the second on DivX.

Good score, very good effects, really good camera (HDX200, I believe...), just a good total package.

You could get nitpicky and pick it apart, but overall, for what it was, it's a lot of fun. Go view it, and if you get a few extra minutes, go view the first one if you haven't already.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #251
Tourist

Wow, he's the next youtube superstar.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #252
Regular Crew

Joe Grushecky music vid - "A Good Life"

I posted the trailer for the Joe G. doc that we are working on in an earlier post. We took a day off from the doc work this past summer to shoot and put together this video for the title track to Joe's recent release "A Good Life". Joe's good friend and frequent co-writer Bruce Springsteen, although not appearing in this video, accompanies Joe on back up vocals and plays guitar on this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ4olrxr7o

Last edited by Jim Justice; March 7th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #253
Regular Crew

I'm not going to lie to you, that was really boring...

The song was fine and catchy, but taking it too literally like that (two cats, two kids, a good dog, etc) is just silly. It looked like it was just a bunch of stock footage intercut with rather boring shots of an old guy playing his guitar. It didn't even look like he was playing the song...

There is a niche for "stock footage" videos...but they're usually reserved for powerful videos because they show the world as it is, trying to get across a message, etc. Intercutting those two styles just really did not work.

And the shots of the vocalist were just really uninspired, static, and boring.

On your next video, really go crazy with a variety of shots and angles to keep the action moving for this kind of a song. And try to put some kind of story or rhyme/reason to your footage. Instead of just a guy singing with flashes of stuff...
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #254
Regular Crew

Stop motion project

This is a stop motion project I did for a future cinema course at UB. It's entitled "Les Banana" I'm no really sure why, my other labmates did the titling, I just did the actual editing.
It is just a series of 250photographs animated together. The goal of the project was to mainly see the capabilities we had.
Hopefully you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnBHHyBx-Q
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #255
Regular Crew

It was fine for what it was. 1 question, 2 comments:

Question: Why stop-motion? Really random...

Comments:

1) Your "suspended plushy toy" was very clearly composited in...as your footage was shaking and the plushy toy wasn't moving :) Need to motion track that, or the whole illusion is for nothing.

2) Don't put "fin" at the end. That is one thing that may, in fact, irk me more than anything else. So unprofessional...unless you're wrapping up an epic of some sort, just don't put "end". The audience will get the idea when the film stops showing pictures.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work