Show Your Work 2007 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #571
Trustee

Flip:flop:fly

This short (10 minutes +) film is the result of a collaboration between myself and choreographer Drew Silvaggio. The piece was conceived as a film/dance hybrid and was choreographed, rehearsed, filmed, edited and presented in about 2 weeks. It was shot on an XLH1.

Influenced by films from DV8 Physical Theatre (london) directed by David Hinton, we shot it in the style of a 1960's teleplay: theatrical, but simple...think "Twilight Zone" without Rod Serling or all the psychological ambiguity.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing38.html

(Probably not for those looking for fabulous camera effects, color grading, or those with a short attention span, or a lack of interest in modern dance. The rest of you will hopefully enjoy it. :) )

Barry
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #572
Trustee

I like the underwater juggling. I didn't expect it to look like that or even to work at all. If the guy riding the unicycle was weighted so he could ride on the bottom that would have been really impressive.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #573
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys, I knew you would have some good valid criticisms and thats exactly what I was hoping for.

"Direction" wise I didn't really have a lot of input, I asked them what they wanted and then shot/cut it. I was asked to do a 30sec logo still at the top end, so I put it in. It was all done in a matter of hours, and I think the priority was on a fast turnover speed and showing the gear in action. It's not for training, but I presume the people looking at the video will know something about the product already.. in all fairness, I'm not really sure what context its going to be used in!

So yeah, hopefully from here I can get more people asking me to do short things like this and I can give them more 'artistic' suggestions with regards to how to go about it, and hopefully improve each round.

Cheers!
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #574
Regular Crew

MY entry for the 12 hour film shoot: please comment!

My crew and I took up this challenge of creating a short in 12 hours. We didn't really get to develop a real solid story line...so sorry if confusing.

Enjoy, Living Action:

http://www.invisionitstudios.com/Livingaction.mov
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #575
New Boot

Nice looking footage. Not bad for 12 hours. Some shots were better than others but considering the time restrictions, not bad. What camera did you shoot with? Looks like you used some effects in post to pop your whites and crush your blacks?
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #576
Trustee

Barry,

I took a chance and really enjoyed it. I loved the rich textures in the room. The wooden plank walls and the concrete foundation walls, brought to life by the stark(ish) lighting. The B&W really works in this piece. I could see it playing as an ambient video in a gallery or cafe. Not too deep but visually interesting.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #577
Trustee

Thanks for the comment, Ken. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would make it through. You called it.... It was shot as a companion piece to a exhibit of my photos at a local gallery, and thematically it ties in with some of the still shots. the set is just the storage area of my studio (the building was 1920's era railroad grocery warehouse). Anyone interested in the photos from the exhibit can check them out here:

http://web.mac.com/barrygoyette/iWeb...0/Welcome.html
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #578
Trustee

Barry,

very cool pix.

I think the problem with us these days is the need for instant gratification. Sadly we've become youtube-ized. We won't wait to download quality images. It's like, well I'll watch it if I don't have to invest too much time in it.

I have to admit, it's because it was shot on the H1 that I was interested. Then I saw the 111 mb file size and nearly didn't wait to see it.

Ironically, I both hate and love youtube. Seeing quality images butchered by compression versus the universal instant access...
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #579
Trustee

yeh. I wanted to keep the quality as high as possible, as the upload was really for the cast members to share...and it looks so good in HD, I didn't want to compress the crap out of it in the smaller format. A few years ago, we all scoffed at big downloads like that, but since the hd cameras came out, I found myself downloading files of 100+ mb from the xlh1 sample page...and that was usually for only a minute or so of raw footage...I have a really hard time watching youtube...the compression is just annoying...I hear they are re-encoding everything in h.264, which hopefully will bring about an improvement.
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #580
Regular Crew

Corporate Stuff

Hey All,
Here are 4 videos I recently did for our local Chamber of Commerce. They're low res for web streaming, but I think you'll get the idea. You may have to click on the titles a couple times.

FYI - I directed, shot, and produced the videos and composed/performed/recorded the music too.

http://www.omahachamber.org/work/Des...onMidtown.aspx
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #581
Regular Crew

Nice. Turning the camera upside down underwater had some real potential for dramatic shots...I wish you would have explored that.

Also...why no credits for the music? Who is it?
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #582
New Boot

Trailer for Max Acceleration DVD--Criticism Solicited

Longtime reader; first time poster.

I’ve been riding the learning curve toward producing a DVD for sale. Subject is fast driving techniques for getting max acceleration from powerful cars under race conditions. Pretty much a one-man operation except for a guest operator of my Sony HDR-FX7, while I’m driving the car.

With that as background, here is a first cut at a trailer for the DVD. Still needs some work; and would appreciate some constructive criticism by members. So please don’t hold back.

The trailer is here [480x270 7.1 mb], please, right click save as…. http://www.rangeracceleration.com/vi..._trailer_8.mov

Thanks in advance.

John
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #583
New Boot

An Ordinary Hero

This is a short my friends and I did over the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSRwmB1exgE
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #584
Regular Crew

Rise of the Penguin Surfer

Hey All-

I had the day off of work and decided to try making a mashup trailer.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayiYZiED6g

I'd suggest trying to make one if you haven't. It was a lot of fun.

-Sean-
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #585
Major Player

hahahaha, that was awesome Sean! lol! I love the use of the dubbing!

Very funny!
~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work