Show Your Work 2007 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #556
Regular Crew

Thought it was great, camera work was impressive and the editing worked very well.
The music over the top didnt loop together at one point, but that might have been a glich with the movie film and not in post.

What kinds of programs have you used, if you dont mind me asking.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #557
Regular Crew

Really cool video. Where is the first part of the clip shot, close to Soquel High? Cool to see some local spots on these forums.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #558
New Boot

Hi there, sorry havnt replied sooner, been really busy with work and managed to drop my laptop and break it! Thanks for all the feedback, really helps. For this i prety much just used After Effects and Final Cut Pro, I used Trapcode Particular in After Effects to do the opening title. The Writing is a bit hard to see on this web version, on the full res version i have you can see it fine as it has another layer behind it which is black and then gausian blurred to make it stand out from the energy ball thing... Will change it for the web version, as its just so small the letters get lost. After getting opinions and feedback from people i am cutting a new snappier version, will try and put it up at some point. Thanks again
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #559
Regular Crew

Right by Cabrillo College
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #560
New Boot

file upload question

Hello all,

I would like to see your suggestions for the best site to upload images & video for sharing/storage.

I'm new to the uploading thing. Is there one good server location you can recommend. Any helpful hints are appreciated. There seems to be countless sites available. I hope you guys can help.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong location

thanks in advance,

Tom Bufkin
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #561
Regular Crew

ill be honest it was not for me but i will give you credit for your work from a video stand point.
well done keep up the work
MEKHAEL
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #562
Major Player

World Arabian Horse Conference shot with XL-H1

Check out this video clip for a DVD on the World Arabian Horse Conference that was shot with XL-H1 in April.
Need High speed internet !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dragonflyproduction.net/waho.htm

Thanks

Last edited by Michael Ojjeh; June 11th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #563
Major Player

My first "real" piece of work

A bit of background cos I like to type somewhat.. I've been shooting video for about 5 years, starting with a $500 JVC consumer cam, then moved to a Sony TRV950 which I still used, and quickly up to a second hand PD150 which is my pride and joy. I kept with it because of my interest in filming bands in live situations, and have decent access at 200-300 capacity shows with fairly well known bands / local bands with good support. So I've filled a good 150 or so tapes with this kinda stuff and very little else.

A friend of mine runs a company who needed a video shot to show off a product they were selling, I needed some portfolio work because I would like to extend my range, but having a fulltime job meant I couldn't really jump back into fulltime study, and I had nothing to show potential employers so I jumped at the chance.

There's definitely issues.. which include but not limited to:

1. The text scroll at the beginning just looks a bit crap
2. I should've shrunk the logo down a bit as its very close to the safe areas on most TVs (but looks fine on monitors)
3. My tripod is utter rubbish and you can tell in that one piece of horrendous video I legally can't call a pan.

I knew nothing about the product bar the basics, so we went up to shoot it in operation in one night, then spend a few chunks of several nights editing and doing the audio. I had about 10 minutes of usable footage and shrunk it down to 3, which isn't a bad ratio in my book. The people doing the work knew nothing about video, so the beginning sequence is shot from 3 angles in 3 takes and none of the takes looked similar at all, but I think I might just have gotten away with it. My friend did the narration, my accent is awful!

Anyway, please let me know what its like.. bare in mind that whilst I have experience shooting live things, I've never "scripted" anything before, especially something with so little prior knowledge and no chance of a re-do and I did it for the price of a burger king meal. I'd be intrigued to know the kind of "market value" it would have, ie how much I could have charged a business for them to be happy with. I always suck at this because I hate not meeting peoples expectations. My friend is very happy with it so I'm leaving it as is despite the flaws.

Anyway.. the link! Clearflow Video
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #564
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Are you planing to keep the short clips so short ??

I'd suggest at least 6 to 7 secs at least, it was hard for me to track with my slow eyes. Most of those items looked interesting, but not enough time for me to get a good sense of them. IMHO.

Harold
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #565
Major Player

Hi Harold,

I did not want to show too much so people who were there at the conference ( around 400 people ) will be excited to buy the DVD.
It will not make sense to you, But It will for the ones who were there at the Conference.

Michael
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #566
Regular Crew

Short period scene

Im new at this game so its important to get feedback, so here goes.

Im in the middle of doing a number of different film styles for an actor I know.
The first film was a period scene in the style of 'The importance of being Ernest' and the Jane Austen Films, such as Pride and Prejudice.

This is the first edit of the short scene and I hope people can take a look and let me know what they think.
Im looking to find out if the following are up to scratch:

Camera work
Sound
Editing
Acting
Script
Anything else

It is only 2mins and 50secs including name tags and the scene can be found here. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2035832750

You can also reach my myspace page by clicking here www.myspace.com/rjgfilm

Thanks in advance for the input.
Edit/Delete Message
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #567
Regular Crew

ok,

I got the impression from the people using the machine, they didnt have a clue how to use it. Maybe you were trying to show them checking the equipment, but to me it looks like they are confused and how no idea what to do.
They also seem to struggle with the hose as if they were trying to remove it but couldnt, at this point I thought it was a comedy spoof sketch..

The logo at the start stays on for ages, i'd rather be looking at something more interesting than the logo. Also at the end, you describe the stuff coming out the back of the pipes 'for purposes of this illustration' all I see is the logo again. Instead rework this so that there are images of it venting the exhaust.

I understand that people need to know the name but it feels that you have overused the amount of time where the logo is on the screen.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #568
Trustee

The way the narrative is worded, and some of the shots, leads me to believe this is a sort of training video. I didn't learn how to operate the machine, so it wouldn't work well with training. As a sales video, I would like to know how it would benefit my company to use this machine and maybe at least photos of the results.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #569
Trustee

James,

Here's my two shillings worth.

If your friend is happy with it, great. That is what is important. Is the customer satisfied?

I wouldn't use it for a demo for serious paying customers though. A lot of it isn't your fault. Your in an obviously confined space, under ghastly florescent lights. Consider it practice, and find another similar project. Do it free or cheap. If you have a day job, you really are only spending your time. You can cheat the 'pan' by dissolving a couple side by side static shots, or by keeping the camera wide and slowing down or re-framing in post. It's all about getting better. And the best way to do that is through experience. Soon you'll be able to charge the big bucks.

I shot a free industrial one 6 months ago that I thought was pretty good at the time. The customer loved it and still uses it, but I kind of cringe when I watch it now. I only really use it now to demonstrate how a flash player can be integrated into a website.

http://www.nanaimofoundry.com/machining.html

Shooting good industrial video is about adapting to weird and harsh environments. In the above case, I shot it mostly handheld because I couldn't set my tripod up on a caterpillar track. Also if you're shooting it for someone's website, you can ease back on the logos and branding, because the viewer is already at their site and the player is likely surrounded by their logo. A tradeshow video is slightly different, but...

I think the industrial/corporate sector will be screaming for this type of service as universal web video becomes more viable, and more and more companies explore the possibilities of how video can promote there business.

Keep shooting.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #570
New Boot

Underwater short film.

The Wh2orld.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwc0OWDYgE

Shot in UK, in college.
Art exam - final piece.
Shot using Sony DSC-L1

Thank you for your time!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work