Show Your Work 2007 - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #616
Major Player

Shark Encounter Off North Carolina Coast

Here's something I shot last week while diving off the coast of North Carolina. Just one of many encounters during the week.

http://www.enosoft.net/video/Shark%2...202007%202.wmv (9.26MB)

The Atlantic Sand Tiger shark in this clip is about 7 to 8 feet long. It is cloaked in a school of bait fish. If you watch very closely at the start, you will see that the school already surrounding the shark is joined very rapidly and seamlessly by a second school.

The wreck of the US Coast Guard Cutter Spar lies in about 100 feet of water, which is why there is little color. The Spar was sunk in 2004 as an artificial reef.

I use an old Sony DCR-SC100 miniDV camcorder (circa. 1998) and a Light And Motion Industries housing. The camcorder can record in true 16:9 - something of a rarity in the mid 1990s for a consumer level unit.

The online clip is in WMV format at 2.1Mbps - I had to use Windows Movie Maker to encode it since Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 wouldn't let me select that high a quality!
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #617
Trustee

That was a really cool clip. I really don't know much about shark behavior but why does the school of fish follow the shark around?

Regards,
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #618
Regular Crew

A short police scene, please let me know what you think.

Ive done the second part of a number of different scenes. This one is a police script.
Here is the direct link,
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2040720655

You can also get to it via my myspace page which is www.myspace.com/rjgfilm
Its the police script.

Can you please let me know about the following parts.

Acting
Sound
Picture
Script
Editing

Overall quality of the piece.

I value all the input I can get,

Thanks in advance.
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #619
Regular Crew

I dont think my breathing would have been as smooth as yours ;)
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #620
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
why does the school of fish follow the shark around?
The bait fish are preyed on by other fish such as amber jack tuna. The bait fish are all over the wreck and, usually, move fairly slowly. Suddenly, they will speed up and not far behind will be up to a dozen tuna, swimming very fast - wanting to feed on the bait fish.

It's purely my speculation, but I assume that the bait fish choose to surround the sharks because they are safer - the tuna won't go near the sharks. The bait fish are safe as long as the sharks aren't in feeding mode - they drop their pectoral fins to an almost vertical position and arch their backs when they are getting ready to feed. This usually happens at dusk. (The clip was shot at midday.) On another dive that had somewhat poor visibility, there was a group of about 8 sharks that were behaving erratically - I guess feeding time was going to be earlier that day!
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #621
Major Player

Born to race

I had all these ideas in the beginning of 06, to document our race year and all, but once each weekend got rolling there was never any focus left to shoot. Somehow life at the racetrack, for a racer anyway, is almost completely about going faster, harder, and deeper. So ultimately, I never even got to try to shoot our year's documentary video.

It's pretty comical, therefore, to see who ends up aiming the rig at you while you ride out onto the grid sometimes. In the end I can't complain. I was glad there was anything caught on tape at all, never mind how good it was. When the 06 season ended last fall I was left with about six tapes shot - each with an average of nineteen seconds of "usable footage." The rest was either completely black, clear blue sky, or wind blown grass. The following video was what emerged from that pile of scrap. I doubt it'll be inspiring to any of you, but it was enough of an inspiration to me to end me up here on Dvinfo.net - reading and searching and hopefully learning how to one day actually produce something real.

I completely understand that this is not that. But still, there IS something about it... At least enough to not let it die in the back of the hard drive.

http://gotagteam.com/WEB_PAGES/VIDEO...Video73mb.html
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #622
Major Player

Wow, that looks great. In fact my wife passed by and asked what that was. It caught her attention in 30 seconds. One major problem. SOUND. I wish you had used a proper microphone on a boom. In my opinion the sound quality ruins the whole piece, but my profession IS sound. Nice work overall.
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #623
Regular Crew

Just watched your video I think you did a hell of a job!!!!! You said you just had a couple of decent clips you sure did a great job at putting them together! Did you just have one camera filming from the sidelines?? Great job also on blending the stills with the live footage! I was impressed! I posted a video that was shot entirely by myself also without any extra help. My buudy couldn't get the time off work and I had to go solo. I posted it on this forum, Take a look and see what you think. It's called A day at the races! Great job on your video again!!

Chris Sackett (Raven Racing Video)
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #624
Regular Crew

86 views and not one comment? I was hoping for a little input from the forum. Any takersout there?
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:28 AM   #625
Major Player

All I can say Chris, is you guys must wreck HARD! Oh yeah, and how in the world do you keep your gear dry?

Stay safe out there brother. Yer nuts!
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:12 AM   #626
Regular Crew

Thanks, ive just picked up a rode NTG-2 mic so that will make a huge difference.
I did mess up on sound because I forgot to switch to the off camera mic.

Any Suggestions for a cheap boom pole?
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #627
Regular Crew

Thanks for your thoughtfull comments. il be working on thoes mic shoots.
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #628
Regular Crew

did you use a 35mm adapter on some of those shots? if so which adapter did you use?
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM   #629
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Dillen View Post
did you use a 35mm adapter on some of those shots? if so which adapter did you use?
the redrock 35mm adpater
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM   #630
Regular Crew

I really liked it alot... I thought it was interesting hearing alot of ideas that I dont personally believe (For example the hell description). I personally am atheist, and I am facinated by the concept of religion, so I found this video particularly interesting. However, I couldnt really tell what you (assuming the person doing the opening and closing narration was you) believed in (due to the final line about consequences and such). Sorry if that doesnt make sense lol, I have a hard time putting my rambled ideas into writing lol... All in all, I really enjoyed it.

I almost forgot, I really liked your closing song.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work