Recommend a EA50 camera bag - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Recommend a EA50 camera bag

Currently I have a cheap quite large backpack that can fit two cx730's, one xr520, two 550d's, 3 lenses and my tascam dr40. Actually it's over it's max weight limit as the top handle already tore off. The 2 big shoulder straps are still ok but I fear that one day that will come loose as well.

The thing is I have a back problem and I need to find another solution on longer term and even though I like the mobility to go in and out of a church with the backpack and with 2 extra tripods that are on a small roller but still, the weight of that backpack is killing me and I also have to drag along those 2 tripods. I also regret that I can't take my nex ea50 with me because that would require again a additional bag and no way I am leaving that camera in the car's trunk when I"m filming in a church. Then I also have 2 smaller bags that hold my audio gear.

So, I actually was thinking, why not carry all in one big bag that has wheels and a handle and one that could hold my 2 tripods as well so I imagine that bag would have to be really massive but then I came across the Think Tank Logistics Manager:

It might be able to fit all video and audio gear, including my ea50 so I don't have to choose anymore what to leave home, I wouldn't have to carry it anymore but I think stairs will be hell. It's very expensive but it looks like it can pack all I need at a wedding day in one go, what do you guys think?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Trustee

Everyone needs a BIG bag. Here is mine (biggest one, previous model) no cameras in it, just stuff:

PortaBrace - Production Gear

I love it, but, the problem with BIG bags is you will ALLWAYS fill them up = HEAVY!

Here are my tripod cases, they have back pack straps that are hidden:

PortaBrace - Tripods

With Porta Brace you pay for it, but you cant beat it! It is a worthwhile investment.

I am researching wheeled carts for all of my bags at once. There are good threads on carts in several forums here at DVINFO.

Steve
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I made my own cart!! Over here we have a rather ingenious little product called "connect-it" They are simply a series of PVC fittings made in various configurations with 1" square tube protrusions and you use them to make your own aluminium furniture by pushing on pieces of anodised (black or silver) lightweight 1" aluminium sections of tube to make, say a coffee table.

I made up a two level trolley using the tube so I have an enclosed shelf on the top where my two cameras sit and then the bigger piece under, fits my lighting case and then mic, battery and other cases and I have two garage storage hooks on the side which fits my tripods and lighting stands.

Metal Mate Connect-It

It makes a smart looking trolley (just add wheels too) and you can customise the size and shape so you can be assured you gear will fit and more importantly the darn thing will fit in your car!!! I just pop riveted MDF particle board onto the aluminium to make the bases. This saves me making multiple trips to and from the car at the reception venue and also you are not trying to carry heavy a very bulky bags around.

Again like big bags ...stairs are an issue so sometimes I have to struggle but normally it's a breeze!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Steven, you must have got the last of that "smokin deal"! No longer available.
Dan Eskelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Major Player

Eh... um ... no props or thanks?
JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #21
Trustee

Chris, That is cool stuff. You're right, I searched and can not find it here.

Dan, that link was active when I made my post. It had been saying one in stock for a long time. Both before and after I ordered mine. That finishes my debate too. I was thinking about ordering another one even though I don't really NEED it.

J.C. Yes, thank you for posting the original amazon link!

Steve
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I made my own cart!!
Been thinking to do that as well as you can customfit the box to your gear, these professional very big bags are between 600 and 900 dollar here and eventhough they are very well build that's a lot of money for 1 bag.
First I was thinking in buying the trolley separately and to get a large travelbag and fill that completely with some cubed foam so I can make compartments that have the same size as the gear they need to hold, that would also be a great way to quickly see you have not forgotten any of your gear. Often when I have to clean up in church after the ceremony I"m very stressed and always fear I might forget something, having a bag with separate fixed spaces for everything you use give you a visual status, so you don't have to think anymore, just look and see what's still missing.Only those replacement cube foam blocks you can buy are also ridiculous expensive. Pro gear = pro price
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

With my cart everything is on it so you have little chance of leaving a case behind...I'm actually busy modifying it at the moment and when the new camera trays are finished I'll post a pic...With the existing cart my lower comparment housing my lighting case and battery and mic cases and tripods/stands and the upper compartment used to take the two Pansonic cameras...I'm now making two extra trays that sit on top of the compartment and are fixed with pins and those take the EA-50's the then blank compartment underneath will be useful for other odds and ends like headphones, clipboard and such like.

The beauty of the trays is that they are foam lined to protect the cameras and pull out the pin and the tray comes off and is now used to house the camera in the trunk of my car while I'm driving so they are dual purpose trays. They sit side by side on top of the cart!! Everything in one wheeled cart!!

Chris
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
With my cart everything is on it so you have little chance of leaving a case behind...
I"m not worried about the case but more about small stuff like my yamaha c24 recorder, in the morning the audiogear is all nicely packed together in a small bag but at the venue it's all thrown in a bigger bag and when I get home I have to put everything into place again. If I would have one bag with spaces specifically shaped for each device I use then it's just a matter of looking at it and seeing what might be empty.

Therefore these cube foam blocks would be perfect and then build a waterfproof custom made case around it which could be placed on a trolly and with the possibility to attach 2 tripods to the side and maybe a slider to the front.

I was planning to go out and shoot some more next week but it has started raining again here so I think I will spend that time seeing how I can custommake such a case, it would be great though to see your solution as well for inspiration.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi

I went Petrol CP004. Fantastic build quality and even an LED strip light built into the inner lining. Weirdly this feature wasn't documented when i bought it from CVP but it's proven to be a really useful feature.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Trustee

Inventory control is a big issue for me. Most of you guys know that I am an AV technical director as well as a video producer. That means my adapters, cables, and other gear sometimes gets mixed in with gear from the AV companies I hire. Sometimes It is a nightmare.

There answer is small zip ties. Almost every piece of my stuff has a small blue zip tie on it. The blue identifies it as mine. Buy a bulk bag of “your color” to be sure you can find it in the future. Many items have a second zip tie next to that so I can identify which kit and case it belongs in. For example, I have three Lowell kits. When you get all that stuff set up and then you need to strike it in a hurry how do you get it back where it goes? Each case and all of its contents has its own color of zip tie next to the blue one.

I have found this to be the best method I have tried. First I tried colored e-tape like a lot of other companies, I hated it. It eventually comes off and leaves a sticky mess on your gear plus I would only use it on cables because I don’t want tape on camera stuff. Now my cameras have a zip tie that matches their power supply etc. to keep the kits together.

Steve
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

As promised here are some pics of my existing aluminium trolley and then the new camera trays that fit on top if I have to go a fair distance from the car to the reception. The trays have 4 locating pins so they snap onto the top of the existing trolley and cannot slide around. For safety a bungee cord goes over the top as well. The trays normally live in my car trunk so the cams are protected while I'm driving and only taken out when I need to do a "one trip takes all" jaunt from the car to the venue.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend a EA50 camera bag-newtrolley1.jpg   Recommend a EA50 camera bag-newtrolley2.jpg  

Recommend a EA50 camera bag-newtrolley3.jpg   Recommend a EA50 camera bag-newtrolley4.jpg  

Old March 20th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Chris, you must have been a designer and machinist in your previous life. Very nice design and workmanship!

Like Steven I have my own system of identifying my gear. I use tape on the XLC connections of audio cables and video cables though I rarely have to rely on my own stuff. However when I do a job, be it a wedding or a seminar or anything else where I DO supply gear I will not allow anyone to help me pickup and repack. I'm not talking about big huge jobs but small jobs. Again, it might be a wedding or a small seminar or conference. I have a system of packing my bag(s) and cases, knowing that all I have to do is look at them and I can tell if something is missing (mental checklist) plus I do the old IDIOT walk probably 2 sometimes 3 times just in case. I'm anal about that sort of thing. BIG jobs where I'm a hired hand, I don't worry about it as much sine in 99% of the cases it's not my gear and there might be a crew of 5 to 15 or more each responsible for their own area...for me, it's usually cameras.
Anyway, checklists, mental or written are good things to have but the best, is a keen set of eyes (or 2 sets) doing a "walkabout" after everything is all packed up. You might be surprised at what you find. ;-)
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Don

It only looks good due to the clever design of the corner fittings!! You bang them into 1" square aluminium tubing and voila you have a professional product ...tools needed are a hammer and hacksaw (I did need a drill with so I could fit the MDF flooring to the aluminium with pop rivets and the wheels with bolts

I made the base trolley so it would fit in my car .... (without the trays, which live in the trunk) and it really does work well and is an ideal type of construction for someone like me who needs 4 guide lines to cut a piece of square tubing otherwise the cut is far from straight. It is amazingly light too!!

Chris
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
This is a camera bag, not a gig bag with tons of room. It is just what I need when I travel and want to pull the camera out of the pelican case. I just packed it with, camera, power, wireless mic receiver attached, two wireless mics ( HH & lav ), and media case. The diopter can stay on but I do not intend to carry it this way often.

It came with a rain cover that could be used to cover a tripod mounted camera in an emergency. The lens pillow could be used as a small bean bag for a shooting rest.

At this closeout price they will disappear fast. Grab one if you need it, anything comparable will be $150.00 or more.

Steve
Hey Steve, does it have room for an extra lens or two?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)