Recommend a EA50 camera bag - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Recommend a EA50 camera bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Yeah, yeah, rub it in some more...:D
Sorry Noa, but I just ordered one too ;-)
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Sorry, who are you? :) You lucky ....
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
As promised here are some pics of my existing aluminium trolley
Cool Chris! So if I understand you right the sides remain open? Will any equipment not slide out during transport?
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Someday's even i don't know who I am..... LOL
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Cases go in the top tray under the camera trays and they are restrained by the bungee cords on the sides
The bottom compartment already has eyebolts fitted on the frame and I also have bungee cords that clip onto them in an "X" formation so the cases/bags there are also secure.

I always seem to have a couple of loose items so maybe it would be an idea to add a plastic compatment box at the end of the top compartment to toss my bits and pieces in ...I don't have much really as everything has a case so that way it's easier not to leave anything behind afetr the wedding is over...It's tough having to drive back on Sunday morning to retrieve something you accidentally behind!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM   #36
Trustee

Chris,

That is a cool cart. I bet it cost you less than a pre-made cart and you got what works for you.

I work out of state more than I work here. All of my gear is set up to be Fly-A-Way cased. A cart sure would help for local jobs.

Jerome,

I doubt it if you are going to fit two extra lenses in the case but it will be close. I have an out of town job next week. I am debating whether I should put the camera in a porta brace traveler case which is designed for carry on or try the Kata. The Porta Brace is made for over heads, the Kata is a little bigger, it will be close. And remember to always check your flights, nothing fits on regional jets.
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Well the lenses could go in a backpack or something if they don't fit. For air travel, I pack the pelican 1650 (or whichever it is that fits in overhead... barely) Regional jets gate check but never had problems. A bag would be better but for regional gate checking, pelican is the way to go in my opinion.

My KATA bag will be here tomorrow, can't wait to check it out.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Everyone needs a BIG bag. Here is mine (biggest one, previous model) no cameras in it, just stuff:
PortaBrace - Production Gear
I love it, but, the problem with BIG bags is you will ALLWAYS fill them up = HEAVY!
Looks like an indestructible one too, I have here an 8 year old Italian "working easy" bag (Home) that still looks like it came off the shelves, also a very durable one and it's a perfect fit for my ea50 now.
I was also looking at some peli stormcases with some wheels but those things are not only very expensive, they weigh at least 10kg. It's fine as long as you can drag it along but at every weddings I have to do stairs and those extra 10kg might just be too much for my bad back and knees.

The main issue I have is that I need to carry my 2 tripods along as well each time, now I was thinking of fitting my current large backpack to such a trolley which would allow me to snap on my tripods, in that way I could take the working easy bag with me as well in a church. Or maybe find a way to put my working easy bag on a trolley and be able to attach my backpack just above that and attach my 2 tripods to the trolley as well? Then I would only need a bit more sturdy trolley that would allow some modification. Mmm...something to think about. :)
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM   #39
New Boot

Petrol PC206 Deca Mini Camporter Bag

I just received the Petrol PC206 Deca Mini Camporter Bag and like it a lot. It's not going to carry all my gear, but it'll do since I need something that will carry my basic kit on the plane. It holds the camera with the mic and viewfinder both extended. The camera has a Rokinon 35mm Cine lens attached, and I have room for 2 more lenses in the bag. I've also got the charger, some extra batteries, headphones, wireless mic kit, filters, and other (small) accessories in the outside pouches.

Attached are a few pics.

I ordered the Kata CC-197 PL bag and felt it was a bit too big. Its spacious alright, but its going back because I think I'll run into issues when getting it on the plane as a carryon.

Wes Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:25 AM   #40
Inner Circle

That looks like a great bag for the ea50 Wes, whay I do like is that you can leave the viewfinder and mike on and that you have space for extra lenses. Isn't it a too tight fit? When you close the bag isn't there some pressure on the mike of viewfinder? Can I use the pictures for my blog? (see link below)

Had a quick look around at some prizes and yet again it seems that in Belgium is bloody expensive when you want to get video accessoires, I found prizes from German and Uk suppliers half the prize compared what I pay here, good thing we have something called the internet.

Last edited by Noa Put; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #41
New Boot

The bag is a perfect fit for the camera. It barely brushes agains the sides when pulling out of the bag due to the wide top opening. There's about 2 inches from the zipper to the viewfinder (about 1 inch to the mic shock mount). I think there's sufficient room inside to give it protection from overhead pressure. The Kata CC-197 PL had more extra space above the camera and the side walls curved over the top of the bag, which gave it a little more protection overhead. That also means it was a little tough to take out - it got caught every time I took it out of the bag.

The decision to go with this bag came down to 2 main factors. One, I need something that I can take on planes - I do a lot of air travel and overhead bins can be pretty tiny. Second, I needed to be able to pull the camera out quickly and begin shooting right away - a feat more difficult if you have a hard time taking out the camera or need to remove the mic, fold in viewfinder, etc.

I liked the Kata CC-197 PL bag for the space and extra protection, so its perfect for people who need lots of space and don't travel on planes a lot. I ended up being pretty surprised how much I liked the Petrol PC206. The marketing photos/videos didn't do it justice. B&H Photo recommends this bag for the EA50 and I think they were spot on.

Yes, feel free to use the photos and my comments on your blog.
Wes Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #42
Inner Circle

My current bag also fits the ea50 well but I can't attach the lenshood and the mike which need to be placed in a side compartment, I just found a great price for the Petrol bag at a UK dealer, think I"ll go ahead and order it, there also seems to be a trolley as accessory which has some connecting brackets to attach the Petrol bag to, it would be great if there was a way to attach my tripods to the trolley as well. I might have to see if there are a bit more versatile trolleys that would fit 2 bags and 2 tripods..
That petrol bag seems to be a perfect fit for the camera incl lenshood and mike and still leaves sufficient room for some lenses and maybe a small sony handicam.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Corral View Post
i just purchased 3 Kata Capsule 185 bags. they are large and able to store the camera with the shot gun mic intact. not a ton of storage but for the price $45.00 usd you really cant find a better bag out there... even comes with a lens pillow... check the link.

Amazon.com: Kata Capsule-185 HDV Case (Gray): Camera & Photo
This bag is GREAT! Mine came in today and is a great alternative to my small Pelican Case for 1 camera shoots. Thanks for posting! I can't believe this is under $50!!!!!!

BTW, the amazon page showed "1" available when I ordered. It still shows "1" available. There's probably plenty folks!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
I can't believe this is under $50!!!!!!
I bet if you pick up the bag from the ground you"ll find it has no bottom leaving your camera on the floor, I ordered a Petrol PC206 today, now THAT's a bag. :)
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
I bet if you pick up the bag from the ground you"ll find it has no bottom leaving your camera on the floor, I ordered a Petrol PC206 today, now THAT's a bag. :)
The Petrol is a nice bag I'll say. I like mine for $120 less though ;-) Oh it does have a bottom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)