First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #166
Inner Circle

The remote connector is the standard Sony CCU remote port and it will work with the RMB150 or RMB750.

More EX3 picture here....

http://www.ingenioustv.com/forum/for...iew.asp?tid=69
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #167
Regular Crew

Thanks for the excellent review Phil. As much as I love the new EX3 I will be sticking with my EX1 for a long time yet. The additions aren't worth the extra $5000 or so in my opinion for what I do, which is mainly Corporate stuff and conferences. In your review you mentioned a shoulder mount you bought on ebay. I tried the link to your blog but got a not found message. What mount did you buy?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #168
Regular Crew

One more question Phil. The 35mm lens you had on your Letus Extreme, was that a 35mm stills camera lens or a film camera lens?
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #169
Regular Crew

No need to answer the last question. I see that it is a SLR lens.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #170
Trustee

Say Phil, As long as we've got your attention here, I'm wondering which of the swing tilt lenses you're liking these days. I seem remember you talking about the Harblei 65mm and 85mm and waiting for an Arsat.

Any observations or suggestions.

BTW Along with everyone else here thanks so much for sharing your experience and always beautiful pictures with us.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #171
Regular Crew

I don't think it's worth every penny of 13k especially when you can get a HPX500 for $9500 at B+H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Mounted.html

That shoulder mount must be really, really good.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #172
Inner Circle

You must remember the EX3 is full 1920x1080 P or I with fantastic low light performance for a HD camcorder. Just because a camera uses 2/3" CCD's and comes in a full size on the shoulder box doesn't mean it going to be better.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #173
Major Player

The only thing to remember is that you are paying $5,000 extra for a shoulder mount and some small improvements. Worth it? No.

I agree that a HPX 500 becomes a more viable option. What is the added value of interchangeable lenses? They are proprietary so in a few years they become worthless (watch the XL-H1... the follow up won't be 1/3" anymore). I know there is a 2/3" adapter but then you can better go for a 2/3" camera.

I think this camera is overpriced.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #174
Regular Crew

I think the true value of the EX3 will come into play when someone comes out with a 35mm adaptor that mounts directly to the body. With the stock lens out of the way I imagine the 35mm lens images would be even better wouldnt they?
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #175
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
Thanks for the excellent review Phil. As much as I love the new EX3 I will be sticking with my EX1 for a long time yet. The additions aren't worth the extra $5000 or so in my opinion for what I do, which is mainly Corporate stuff and conferences. In your review you mentioned a shoulder mount you bought on ebay. I tried the link to your blog but got a not found message. What mount did you buy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Shoulder-Sup...QQcmdZViewItem
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #176
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
One more question Phil. The 35mm lens you had on your Letus Extreme, was that a 35mm stills camera lens or a film camera lens?
all my lenses are Nikon mounts, some of them expensive, some dirt cheap
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #177
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Say Phil, As long as we've got your attention here, I'm wondering which of the swing tilt lenses you're liking these days. I seem remember you talking about the Harblei 65mm and 85mm and waiting for an Arsat.

Any observations or suggestions.

BTW Along with everyone else here thanks so much for sharing your experience and always beautiful pictures with us.

Lenny Levy
yeah i have both those hartblei. they really are great lenses
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #178
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
The only thing to remember is that you are paying $5,000 extra for a shoulder mount and some small improvements. Worth it? No.

I agree that a HPX 500 becomes a more viable option. What is the added value of interchangeable lenses? They are proprietary so in a few years they become worthless (watch the XL-H1... the follow up won't be 1/3" anymore). I know there is a 2/3" adapter but then you can better go for a 2/3" camera.

I think this camera is overpriced.
i was told £1500 more than EX1...
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #179
Trustee

Did you get to try that Arsats or try any of the wider Hartblei's?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #180
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
I think the true value of the EX3 will come into play when someone comes out with a 35mm adaptor that mounts directly to the body. With the stock lens out of the way I imagine the 35mm lens images would be even better wouldnt they?
You'd still need some lens at the back-end, but the whole thing can just natively attach or use the B4 mount, either of which will be much, much easier to set up. It may even become viable to switch between native glass and the adapter between shots!

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds