SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #451
Major Player

Well it might be a good SQ card :) Got my UPS shipping confirmation, it will be here on the 8th.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #452
Trustee

True, unless the random or access time is to slow. You'll know soon.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #453
Major Player

Hey there is a 16GB SDHC CLASS 6 turbo ADATA card in town for 44 bucks. I will pick it up today and test it. If it fails I can take it back quickly.

Also there is a patriot 16gb card for 49 plus a 20 dollar rebate.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM   #454
Trustee

Erik,
I'm not sure if it will work. I picked up the 8GB ADATA class 6 version a while back. Its sustained write speeds were all over the place from 3.72MB/s to 10.68MB/s.
3.7MB/s write speed will definately cause a memory write error in the EX.

ADATA 8GB SDHC TURBO CLASS 6 (Crystal Disk Mark test):

Sustained data rate: Read: 18.64MB/s to 18.69MB/s Write: 3.72MB/s to 10.68MB/s
Random 512K file: Read: 17.96MB/s to 18.69MB/s Write: 2.70MB/s to 3.10MB/s
Random 4K file: Read: 3.57MB/s to 3.91MB/s Write: 0.033MB/s to 0.035MB/s
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #455
Trustee

Since reliability and speed is a huge issue here, going with tried-and-true Sandisk cards is what I'd do.

If offload in the field is required, Sandisk 16Gb Extreme III 30MB/s.

If you can afford to just accumulate the cards and offload afterwards, or if for any other reason offload speed is not a factor, then get Sandisk 16Gb Ultra II 15MB/s. (latter I personally did not test but Steven did and liked, I think.)

Extreme is available here or here, and Ultra here or here.

That until other cards have a proven reliability record...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM   #456
Trustee

I hear you Alex.

I'm not sure how someone can not afford to buy a load of cards and offload later.

You could actually buy TWELVE 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s cards for the cost of ONE 16GB SxS.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM   #457
Trustee

Well, if possible, I'd still check and offload the footage in the field, just to make sure you actually got it.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM   #458
Trustee

Yes, you would not have to worry about copying it to another drive, but I imagine it may be smart to pop the SDHC in your laptop and verify the footage is OK.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #459
Trustee

...at which point you might as well offload it :)

But of course different people will have different workflows.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM   #460
Trustee

Yes, it really depends on what you're shooting.

If you're shooting a special event, you can only pray that all went well. It's not like you will have the event start over because you lossed your footage. Of course, this goes without saying.

No doubt you'd check your footage during set session work.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM   #461
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Where did you order it?

It's been known that there are fake Ultra II SDHC cards out there, so be careful.
Also, is it the Ultra II 15MB/s version?

Check this out:
SanDisk Ultra II fakes - Google Search

You are the first to report an issue. It may be defective, or you bought a fake.
I absolutely trust the dealer. It is one of the largest on-line stores in scandinavia and definately has the real stuff. I only hope it is faulty... Any ideas on further tests?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #462
Trustee

It's obviously defective, or your Kensington is bad.

I can't make my SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s or Extreme III 30MB/s fail in HQ modes.
I've been torturing these for over three weeks and can can not get them to fail.
In fact, I can't get them to fail running ovecrank at 40FPS which is around 8.3MB/s max.

HQ mode max is 5MB/s write speed.

Did you bother looking at links to images of real verses fake Ultra II?
Or, you just got a dud.

Run the Crystal Disk Mark utility for data rate test.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #463
Major Player

Thanks Steven. I have checked and as far as I can tell it is genuine. I have also run Crystal DMU. I monitored the metering and the results were fairly similar during on all five tests. These are the averages:

Read: 15.54, 15.13, 4.128
Write: 14.64, 3.59, 0.029

The problem does not seem to be write or read speed but more of a general stability problem. The strange thing is also that the camera tells me that media needs to be restored but it does not give me the option to do this. After recording and switching to playback mode I get an error. When I put the card into the computer Windows prompts me to format it...

My 8 GB Extreme III card still behaves perfectly so the adapter does not seem to be the problem. In fact I just recorded a more than 14 minutes long clip at 50/25 fps without errors (!).

Does anybody know of any other reliability tests that I can run? And also - can someone confirm that this exact card Sandisk Ultra II 16 GB works well in their setup?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #464
Trustee

A couple have already reported that the 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC does work fine without errors. Matt has reported using the 16GB Ultra II for 2.5 weeks with no errors using HQ modes.

The Digital Video Information Network - View Single Post - Media needs to be restored (PHU-60K)

When you watched the Crystal Disk Mark test run, it runs each test five times. When it finishes, the program only lists the average. You have to write down each test as the program runs. So you should have a total of 30 data points.

But based on your overall average, it's strange it failed. I'd return it for another.
Since the Extreme III works, it seems like the Ultra II card is defective.
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #465
Major Player

Hi guys,

this thread is as confusing as useful it is. FYI you are doing a pioneering work here (kudos to Steven mostly) in order to make EX-s even more affordable and release them from the price trap of the SXS cards.

It would be great to see a comprehensive analytic approach undisturbed by sideways info. Best to follow what scientific research does:

Once promising data pop up in a lab, others copy the approach and re-test it. If the test results in same end points in a few other labs, the results can be taken final and can be labeled as proven. (here: Kensington 7in1 with Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III tried and proven to work in SQ and HQ by many)

But:

some things are not yet clear or hidden within the ocean of posts

- does it make any sense using more expensive Sandisk Extreme vs Ultra ?? If it does, what is the benefit using Extreme? No one ever said that.
- it is also not clear what is the difference between the various size cards, is the 16Gb same as 8Gb in both Sandisk lines or there is a difference, or we can safely say that ALL Ultra and Extreme cards available today can safely be used?

Once these questions are answered, the investigation might move forward - having a sound proven basis on using SD cards (Kensington 7in1 with Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III as golden standard)

Then,

I would take the Kensington and try other cards in it for reliability.

Another tester would test the proven working cards (Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III) with other card readers.

Then probably there would be a weekly update on the results and a sticky with the tested and working configs.

I would separately test overcranking with proven reader and SD card combos and see what can I get. (my EX3 is ordered, not delivered yet - thats why I cannot contribute more, but I have 2 Kensingtons and 2 16Gb Ultras already...)

Sorry, my intention is not to hijack this thread, I just spent the last night with reading it - there is a buzz in my head, and I don't know more than Steven knew after 3 days testing of his Kensington 7in1 with Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III.

It would be great to see clearly, thats all I try to achieve.

Thanks a bunch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds