SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1036
Regular Crew

Transcend

Thank you guys.Seems that sandisk ultra 2 little faster than transcend.as mentioned before its possible to overcrank almost 50fps with sandisk.Of course overcranking must be performed with SXS but i think the maximum overcranking speeds on these kxs's show's how reliable it can be.

cheers

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1037
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I may order one each to test. My job is to shoot at 1080p30 HQ so it looks like either card will support that data rate. It's funny that the Transcend, C6, is rated faster than the Sandisk at C4. I think in the future I will purchase the Sandisk Ext IV cards since they are rated at 30MB/s. How close does the actual data rate come to that in both read and write?

Maybe there should be a spreadsheet for all of the cards tested and adapters just to keep it all strait.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #1038
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
These are the numbers on the back of my Lexar 8GB SSD card:
Lexar EX8GB-5001 Rev D
32064-8GBC-2407
Mine says:
Lexar EX8GB-715 :-(

The adorama price is phantastiic

thx for the infos.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #1039
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
Guess not, but if you could run a test with CrystalDiskMark:

Download CrystalDiskMark 2.2.0 - A small HDD benchmark utility for your hard drive - Softpedia

with the Lexar SSD card in a laptop express card slot, then the numbers will tell us what's happening.

Paul
Paul, Sorry! I do not have a laptop but I will check to see if any of my friends has one with a Express card slot. I just have a Mac Pro.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1040
Regular Crew

This morning I received an email from Amazon stating that my order for the Kensington card has been canceled.

I also called Kensington, and they aren't selling the card any more.

Anyone know of a source for these cards that has 'em in stock?
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1041
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Roma View Post
Hi!Can somebody confirm how much possible to overcrank with transcend 16gb cards?As i understand sandisk almost 15mbs and overcranking possible near 50fps.I tryed apacer sdhc and it give me little over 30 fps.i guess its not very safe to use it for HQ recordings.

Best Regard

Raul
Raul,

I get identical results using both SanDisk and Transcend. If I'm shooting 30p, I can overcrank to 52 without problems. If I'm shooting 24p, I can overcrank to 43.

In the PAL world, you should be able to overcrank to 44 (shooting 25P).
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1042
Regular Crew

Today I just received my Kensington from cyberport in Germany. Maybe it's of interest.
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1043
Inner Circle

Hmm, either EX user demand is too small or Sony made them an offer to stop . . . or maybe they've got something coming up that's a few mm shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
This morning I received an email from Amazon stating that my order for the Kensington card has been canceled.

I also called Kensington, and they aren't selling the card any more.

Anyone know of a source for these cards that has 'em in stock?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #1044
Inner Circle

Just landed a big and presitgeous corporate job today and with all the talk of the Kensington 7 in 1 reader maybe being discontinued/no longer made I bought another one via amazon uk market place this afternoon before supply dries up in Europe. It's so cheap, why not? (until something better performing comes along).

This time I've paired it with the much discussed Transend 16GB SDHC Class 6 card (the last one I bought was with a Sandisk 16GB Ultra II SDHC....that gave me some error hiccups right at the start ....but had been absolutely rock solid ever since - see earlier posts from me on this thread - pages 56 to 58).

This is more for a "I've another hours worth in the bag if I need it peace of mind type thing" just to supplement the approx. 2.5 hours I currently have (3 off SxS 8GB cards and 1 off SDHC 16GB mentioned above).

The price of both was peanuts but of course I'll test this new SDHC all out before use in any serious action. The well shared experience in this thread suggest it'll be perfect for Full HQ shooting with my Sony EX3 without overcranking too far (my current SDHC stick with the Sandisk Ultral II will hit 50 fps reliably in my PAL EX3).

Thanks again guys, I'd buy you all a beer but with the UK tax on it having just been raised AGAIN today (8%!) to fund our latest economic gamble I can now not afford 1043 pints!!!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 24th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #1045
Regular Crew

transcend

thank U Ted!Good to know.I guess best route to go with transcend then as they a little cheeper too.

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1046
Regular Crew

Yeah! What the hell! My order got canceled too. I called Kensington, product is discontinued. He said that it's just been out now for a while and sales have been weak, but he said that he put a word in with his super and haven't heard back. Don't know if that means anything?
Are there any others out there.
Would this work?
Belkin Multimedia Reader and Writer ExpressCard XD/MM/SD/MS F5U213
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #1047
Major Player

Today I drove 3 hours to micro center in San Jose to pick up the last two Kensington 7 in 1's they had in stock. I got lucky and it was well worth the drive, plus I ended up getting a good deal on the last model MBP.
The sales reps there claimed other people had come in today to buy the cards which I had on lay away and had paid for...glad I drove down there today and grabbed them!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #1048
Major Player

I tested the Belkin and it would not work.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #1049
Regular Crew

Larry that was me that came in looking for the Kensington 7 yesterday in San Jose, i live their. i own an EX3. Micro center told me that 2 were coming in Friday but i was not in a hurry to check because my order from amazon was shipped and should be arriving today. Micro center told me it was on hold for pickup. Glad to see you got it, but keep checking they told me would be getting more in the next couple of days, but that they only get 2 at time. I did not get an absolute answer this time. Ill post here when i find out they have them in, in case your are interested. I usually shop their.
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #1050
Inner Circle

and I haven't even had the time to get the firmware upgrade (not willing to risk the one month turnaround from NJ).

As to Kensington discontinuing the 7 in 1, apparently the EX is a small market and the number of EX users who know this is very small. I often run in to other EX shooters on "news" shoots that I do. In every case not any other EX shooter was aware of the SDHC option. Keep in mind that Sony markets their hard drive solution. No one "markets" the Kensington solution other that a few of us here on this and a couple of other forums.

The SDHC solution is/was great for news/doc type shooting were having lots of record time without the need to bring/offload to a laptop. But as I noted above, the very shooters who would most benefit from this are not aware of this solution in my anecdotal experience.

I do hope for a solution.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds