Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 9 at

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #121
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,483
I know some companies have different policies depending on if you have a car alarm or not.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #122
Regular Crew
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 179
ins costs


I cant give you the exact cost obviously but if its like mine, that would be about right....however one caution. I had heard others rave about state farm who previously had my auto ins. So I called them first and the cost was much different for me than other people were paying, I expected to hear around mid two's but they came back with the 500 (actually $570ish).

So while it should be the same cost who knows? I dont understand how they work but I know I need it. Another point my first inquiry to state farm was to have it insured in Santa Barbara which is a nice little beach town without any real crime...the AAA quote that I ended up getting is based out of Denver area which is much bigger etc. So who knows how they work but triple aaa worked well for me give it a try.

milking the celebrity criminal trials thank god for the freaks
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #123
Regular Crew
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 172
Camera Insurance

Does anyone know a good place that insures cameras? I own a DVX and would definately like it insured incase i do something stupid since i do a lot of outdoors footage. Pref. in San Diego, but doesnt matter too much.
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #124
Inner Circle
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Check with your agent that carries your homeowners or renters policy. You could probably get a rider that would cover you.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #125
New Boot
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: rtys
Posts: 12
While homeowner's insurace will either cover you already or allow for quick and easy addition of a rider for the equipment you choose to insure, it may not be the best idea.

Generally, making small claims against your homeowner's insurance is a _very_ bad idea. Homeowner's insurance is best used for rare calamities, not nicke and dime accidents (for most of us, digital equipment cost is no where near the cost of our house).

If you make small claims against your homeowner's insurance, you may end up loosing your homeowner's insurance which is a very serious issue for many reasons. Getting dropped will make it hard to get insured by other companies, for example.
Witold Chrabaszcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #126
Inner Circle
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
I didn't say it was a great idea just that if all you want to do is cover your camera for a small amount it should be fine, even my own agent has told me that.

However, if you're covering a large amount of equipment and/or making a living or calling yourself a professional then you need to look elsewhere for coverage.

BTW, I've had a couple of claims (non equipment related) against my HO policy and they've never dropped me OR rased my rates. Of course I've been with them for 25 years. They know which side their bread is buttered on.
Plus a $3 or $4000 camera to me is not nickel and dime. Years back I had ALL of my still equipment (about 25 grand back then) covered under a rider and they never blinked. They loved the premium. At that time a seperate policy by a specialized company was very cost prohibitative.
All I'm saying is it pays to shop around to find the best deal for what you need covered.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #127
Posts: n/a they will cover your camera if it is stolen on a shoot and will immediately give you coverage to rent one as good as or better than.

I have my computers to my camera equipment insured by them.
  Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #128
Regular Crew
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 137
i don't see where they do camera gear -did you just contact them directly? what kind of premium do you have on your gear?
Brian Young - Los Angeles -
F800, F5, FS7, A7s
Brian T. Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #129
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,483
Accidental Breakage Insurance.

Say I'm out on a shoot and someone knocked
over my tripod and smashes my camera,
or the cam just falls out of my hands and breaks.
Who offers this type of replacement coverage?
My homeowners does not, and only will cover
10% of personal property for theft *away from home*.
Also, if someone trips on a tripod and is injured,
does homeowners liability cover this?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #130
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 8,268
You may be able to purchase an All Risk Rider to your Home Owners Insurance. Liability for an accident may or may not be covered. These would be outlined on the terms of your policy. Your Insurance agent or an underwriter would be able to tell you if you have liability coverage for the type of accident you describe. You can also purchase liability insurance for such occurrences. Many times it is bundled in various types of business insurance. If your agent doesn't carry that type of insurance, contact an insurance broker.
Jeff Donald
Carpe Diem

Search for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #131
Regular Crew
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 115
In my case I am a member of WEVA since i do wedding videography, and part of the perks of the membership is group rates on equipment breakage and liability insurance. there are group rates available for most types of businesses out there.
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #132
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,315
Need Insurance For Permit?

Some local colleagues of mine who, along with myself, shoot all the time outdoors in the downtown area here in Orlando, have been warning me about something in regards to my short film I will be shooting next month. Apparently as a by-product of the goofy flip-flopping yellow and orange terror alerts we're under, nobody seems to be able to get by without permitting their shoots these days.

Now, in downtown Orlando, permits for shooting are free. So no problem, right? Well, the problem is that they require a policy be attached with $1 Million in insurance. You have to fax them the certificate to get your permit application approved.

So the question I have is, who has experience with this, and are there any pointers you may have as far as figuring out how to get an ultra low budget film shoot insured? It seems almost silly with how small the production is, but red tape is red tape.

Also, I do realize the implications of an accident on set so please, nobody chastise me for thinking the insurance is silly. :)
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #133
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 1,034
A friend of mine in Chicago wanted to get permits, and to do so he was also required to get something like $2 million in liability insurance. That's the way it goes, I'm afraid.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #134
Capt. Quirk
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Middle of the woods in Georgia
Posts: 3,596
As I have been recently shopping around for insurance myself, I can tell you it isn't cheap. For the 30 days I will be shooting, I am looking at $1,200 and up for 1 Mil. If that is out of your budget, you might consider going Guerilla.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #135
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: northern cailfornia
Posts: 1,261
i have found 1mil $ liability insurance policy is far cheaper for 12 months then for 2 weeks. also coverage for a documentary is less then dramatic ..

the last time bought for a project that was for pro shoot it was 900 for a year (up to 70K budget documentary ..they wanted 1500 if it was dramatic) in california.

i do carry a floater policy with my home insurance for those "fun- have no plans to make $$ type projects ... $155 year for 1st million then less for each additional ...
you'll have to talk to your insurance for details ... there's one thing having fun shoot with 3-8 persons VS crew of 30!!!

now you might be able to get your insurance thru somebody else?
do you know any production company's ? they usually have insurance and you do your short under them. they get the permit in their name .. now why would they do this ? either because they are doing you a favor , they owe you favor , or because you are going to pay them for the use $$.

there are some non profit organizations that if you are a member will let you permit under them ...

also many camerpersons/gaffers carry liability and you might be able to strike a deal with them??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network