Field monitor for Canon XH A1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Grady View Post
I have ordered a Sony DVP-FX810 but there are also DVP-fx820 and 850 which are dvd players with composite video inputs. Iv ordered mine off ebay for 50£ so its worth it even for a test atleast youll also have a dvd player. They have a supposed 6 hr battery and are 8inch sony xblack screens. Id rather pay this money and be wrong than spend 800 and wished I had bought cheaper. I think it will work for critical focus which is the reason I have bought it. There are obvious limits to it, as its not HD but I dont think that matters for what you want.
How do you mount the Sony on your camera, Marko?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM   #62
Major Player

Greg?

I'm familiar with Hoodman but can't get info on the magnifier part. How does this work?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM   #63
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Magnifier.html
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #64
Major Player

thx.
I bought one and I'll give it a try
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
I use a Hoodman with a magnifier which helps increase the picture size.
I agree, but outdoors forget it :) You may as well be looking in a mirror with that magnifier outside. I need to concoct some some of extended hood I can just velcro on in that case.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #66
Regular Crew

I got one of those rigs to make your cam a shoulder mount. Now when I flip the screen out it is right in the area between too close and too far away for my old man eyes. You know the feeling. You have to tilt your head backward to see anything. That can be bad for a long shoot. My solution (and it's cheaper than any others mentioned) a $10 pair of reading glasses. Now my flip out monitor is clear and the added magnification is most welcome.

I have a hoodman for outdoor shooting but have found them to be more trouble than benefit for me. I just turn on the zebras for exposure and occasionally flip on the peaking feature and do the best I can when shooting outside.

Try some reading glasses....you might be surprised how well they work...you may not look "stylin" but they are functional.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Uh, oh.. I just ordered one of those hoodman magnifiers.
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #68
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
Hi guys,

After spending an afternoon shooting with the A1 and the letus35 under intense sun light I've come to the conclusion that a field monitor is simply crucial. So, I'm looking for something that can be mounted into the A1's hotshoe (not too heavy), that can eb powered by batteries (or a battery pack), that is PAL compatible...and most importantly, that will allow me to flip the image horizontally and vertically at MY will (most monitors simply flip the image automatically when you turn the monitor upside down...which would do me no go because I would end up with the reversed image from the letus). And now, here comes the big catch...I wanted to keep it at 200$

Any thoughts, boys and girls?
http://www.bargain-camera.com/store/...cat=273&page=1
Marko Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:23 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Grady View Post
I have ordered a Sony DVP-FX810 but there are also DVP-fx820 and 850 which are dvd players with composite video inputs.
There is a thread on this forum discussing the fx820 and other portable DVD players for SD monitoring.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM   #70
Major Player

Viewfinder cheap

The worry with the viewfinder is the cheap little slider focusing bar. Very difficult to get it perfect. I use the bar generator in B & W but it's hard to get it dead on. Besides, I find myself questioning what is good focus on those bars.
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #71
Regular Crew

anyone tried the totevision LCD 703 HD?

I have read the spec's on a bunch of field monitors, and still can't make up
my mind. First I don't have a lot of money to spend, maybe $700 to $1000
range. The Totevision LCD 703 HD looks pretty good. Have any of you tried
this monitor? Thanks.

Charles Dodd
Charles Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM   #72
New Boot

External monitor

Does anyone know of a cheap-ish external monitor that can be mounted upside down and will make focusing easier on the xha1? I'm thinking of using this with a 35mm adaptor. What kind of monitor mount would have to be used if i was using a 15mm rail system?
Andy Yoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Depends on your budget, or rather the relationship between:

How much do you care about your film
Vs.
How much can you spend

As the former increases thus the latter rises. Or rather this occurs if you consider how important it is to get critical focus with 35mm adaptors. Nothing worse than getting your film shot to discover it's all soft cos you skimped on your monitor.

Give more info on a budget and maybe we can give info on lcd's.

Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #74
Regular Crew

I'm currently filming at the Edinburgh Fringe and have been using a Sony FX850 portable dvd system which has a hi-res 8" screen. It's absolutely great and lasts for about 6 hours on its own battery. I made a small wooden platform for it which I attach to the top of one of the tripod legs.

I leave the Canon's own screen folded in and use the Sony screen all the time.

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
I'm currently filming at the Edinburgh Fringe and have been using a Sony FX850 portable dvd system which has a hi-res 8" screen. It's absolutely great and lasts for about 6 hours on its own battery. I made a small wooden platform for it which I attach to the top of one of the tripod legs.

I leave the Canon's own screen folded in and use the Sony screen all the time.

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com
But are you using a stock XHA1 or one with a 35mm adapter?
Julian Shapiro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software