Field monitor for Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Field monitor for Canon XH A1

Hey guys I'm new and I'm sure you have heard it before but...please go easy. Anyhow I was wondering what field monitors you guys are using with the A1 to get the best possible idea of what your composition will look like using the component out cables supplied with the A1, also is there a specific way to extend the length of the component cable while maintaing data integrity. If you could let me know I would be grateful.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I jam going to order the Verizoom VZS1080BSV to give it a try with my A1, primarily for use with my Kessler Crane setup. Below is information on the monitor. Has anyone had luck using this? I don't work for Varizoom, or have anything to do with company.

"Varizoom announces the all-new SWIT series Broadcast Hi-Res monitor. This compact unit is ideal for monitoring high-definition content in the field, in the studio, or on the go."

http://www.varizoom.com/monitorsindex.html
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #3
New Boot

My thoughts...

I've been trying to research monitors and I came across one I think will work.

Xenarc 700YV 7" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA $345

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/274

This LCD monitor has the same native resolution, brightness and power consumption of the Varizoom. It also has VGA and RCA connections and a whole slew of accessories.

Unless there is something I'm clearly missing, it's basically the same monitor for about 1/3 of the price of the Varizoom and other name brand video camera monitors.

If I am missing something, then please let me know, otherwise I'm most likely going to buy it.
Ryan Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Lyon
I jam going to order the Verizoom VZS1080BSV to give it a try with my A1, primarily for use with my Kessler Crane setup. Below is information on the monitor. Has anyone had luck using this? I don't work for Varizoom, or have anything to do with company.

"Varizoom announces the all-new SWIT series Broadcast Hi-Res monitor. This compact unit is ideal for monitoring high-definition content in the field, in the studio, or on the go."

http://www.varizoom.com/monitorsindex.html
Yes, but this doesn't seem to be an HD monitor. Seems like it's just a high res SD monitor. It looks intriguing and I really want it to work but I don't think it's going to show an accurate HD picture.
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lindsey
I've been trying to research monitors and I came across one I think will work.

Xenarc 700YV 7" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA $345

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/274

This LCD monitor has the same native resolution, brightness and power consumption of the Varizoom. It also has VGA and RCA connections and a whole slew of accessories.

Unless there is something I'm clearly missing, it's basically the same monitor for about 1/3 of the price of the Varizoom and other name brand video camera monitors.

If I am missing something, then please let me know, otherwise I'm most likely going to buy it.
Not sure how you would power up this puppy in the field.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Varizoom Customer Support

One thing to consider. Support doesn't exist. On two occassions I have written to them and no replies.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Major Player

On powering
I have a Lilliput similar to the Xenarc, although I have not used it with HD yet. I made a simple battery pack of 8AAs in two holders from radio shack. Attached it to the back of the monitors and plugged it in to the 12v jack on the monitor. It provides about 4 hours of runtime on a set of AAs. It's a bit heavy to mount on a camera with the batteries, but it can be done. If the monitor proves useful with the Canon A1 I have ordered I will probably use it with a bigger 12v battery on the bottom of a mic stand and the monitor on top. Powering these things in the field is a snap.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
it runs off a 12v external power source like the marshall and all the other lcd monitors in it's class. another option: you could attach/velcro one of the nebtek battery adapters that can convert your existing camcorder li-ion battery power to 12v. won't post the link to it here as they're not a site sponsor, but it's easy enough to find on their site.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Although a larger unit at 13", the Sharp LC13S1US does component and is 12v. Not sure how component would downscale to the screen but anything is better than composite and I like the 430cd brighness spec. Cheap at $250 or less for those critical shots or studio use.

Edit: Just shopped the Sharp 13" Aquos units at a BB - Lots of case varieties, nothing less than a 13" - All have an ultrabright picture and are marked 480P / EDTV. Obviously too big for on-camera use but definately good for composition and focus checks. Nothing in a 16x9 format, they're all 4x3 screens. Will take camera in to see if autoscaling works on component.

Last edited by Jay Fisk; December 14th, 2006 at 01:08 AM.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

field montors questions

I have never used a field monitor with a HD cam so please excuse the noob questions.

At these prices these are EDTV monitors correct?

So just how does this work with input from the HD cameras?
Does it autoscale in some way and also give the correct aspect but in ED res??

But is the quality sufficient for the purpose?

I mean at these prices you cant rely on color/contrast being actual right? What about other defects in image?

So are these mainly just to check focus and if so how does the scaling impact this?
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fisk
Edit: Just shopped the Sharp 13" Aquos units at a BB - Lots of case varieties, nothing less than a 13" - All have an ultrabright picture and are marked 480P / EDTV. Obviously too big for on-camera use but definately good for composition and focus checks. Nothing in a 16x9 format, they're all 4x3 screens. Will take camera in to see if autoscaling works on component.
Just got a Sharp LC-13AV6u for a demo.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...,1681,00.html#

It's bright, really BRIGHT. So bright you can easily see it with a 500w light shining directly on the screen from 3 feet. The good: It supports 16x9 letterboxed and has a super sharp (no pun) picture with component (or composite in) from the A1. Mirrors and flips. Feels solid and portable. All for $249.

The not-so-good? It's AC only, no brick. Might be able to mod it for DC internally.

The odd: If you feed it 1080i, it pops up a text message of 'incompatible format' but works just fine with 480i while recording in HD at any frame rate.

Overall? Nice compact unit for studio setups or anywhere with AC. Lots of detail and picture control. Way more than you'd ever want for focus and composition.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Xenarc monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
If you search this forum for Xenarc or even the specific model you are looking at you'll find my full analysis and detailed description of how I'm using this monitor. Suffice to say that if you want near HD quality then you have to feed it a signal from a VGA source in order for the monitor to do the scaling. It's native resolution (480X800) is exactly the same as the varizoom and the Marshall selling for $1300 or so. The RCA inputs will only take in standard def composite (not component) so you gain nothing unless you use a component to VGA conversion box. A unit can be built with a battery plate attachment (I use a V-mount) for about $550
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #13
Trustee

Field monitor for the A1? Not too expensive

Hi guys,

After spending an afternoon shooting with the A1 and the letus35 under intense sun light I've come to the conclusion that a field monitor is simply crucial. So, I'm looking for something that can be mounted into the A1's hotshoe (not too heavy), that can eb powered by batteries (or a battery pack), that is PAL compatible...and most importantly, that will allow me to flip the image horizontally and vertically at MY will (most monitors simply flip the image automatically when you turn the monitor upside down...which would do me no go because I would end up with the reversed image from the letus). And now, here comes the big catch...I wanted to keep it at 200$

Any thoughts, boys and girls?
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

edtv for focus on A1?

Hi, I was told that the A1 can record HD to tape while simultaneously feeding/down converting to SD over composite to a separate monitor. Just for clarification then, does that then mean you can use say 13" Sharp 480p EDTV as a field monitor for achieving/monitoring live critical focus, particularly for motion shots? I know HDV Rack has a bit of a lag right now and many have said it's great for SD monitoring but HDV is a bit much for it right now if you're talking about monitoring focus for motion shots, anything that's not too static.

Thanks for any info.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #15
New Boot

I tried to post these elsewhere & got little response. I hope that someone can help . . .

I am trying to connect my xenarc to HVX via component out > Mayflash VGA transcoder > Xenarc. I can get a decent image when I connect the av cables and select av1 on the monitor; However, when I try to run the comp>vga adapter>monitor set up I don't get a picture on av1,av2, or PC (or anywhere). What am I missing? Is there a setup menu issue here to get the component out to work or should it work as soon as the cable is plugged in? Would appreciate some help.

Yes, I plugged in the power.
Do I need to be in P2 mode with a p2 plugged in (or firestore) in order for the camera to be sending out an HD signal through the component out? It seems as though I should get a signal just with power on in standby.

I thought that I would try to troubleshoot by bypassing the mayflash. Is there a way to do this? Perhaps a cable (D4 or something) that will get me from comp out to the 20-pin VGA plug that goes into the xenarc?
Granville Hatcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software