Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #1141
Major Player

You could put it into Photoshop and make 5 layers with each layer representing a building (cut out) and possibly a 6th layer that represents the horizon/background.

Since Vegas sees from the 'top down' you could then import the jpegs and use the Pan and Crop on each individual track to do basically whatever you want.

I do like the idea of a 2d program for giving the buildings character but perhaps Vegas can do this job using the presets such as pinch and twirl and whatever else you can find.
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #1142
Inner Circle

the card is fine for Vegas use with dual monitors.

hydravsion will also clean up pixelation when viewing video on a monitor.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #1143
Sponsor: JET DV

http://www.scenalyzer.com
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #1144
Wrangler

I run a Radeon 9800pro and have used two displays on it in the past. You actually don't need Hydravision, dual support is built into the Catalyst drivers. Simply connect your second display to the unused port, right click on your desktop and choose properties. Once in display properties right click the secondary display and choose "connected". It's once it's active you can adjust individual resolutions and refresh rates for each display.
Hydravision is a tool that helps "manage" your dual display desktop rather than making it possible in the first place.

I wouldn't use the TV out on the RADEON to connect an external monitor for color corrections.
1. It won't display only your preview window- it will act as a second display.
2. The colors won't be accurate. The TV out is directly affected by the video card's Video LUT.

Optimaly, yes, it's best to connect an external NTSC studio monitor via IEEE. Next best thing is a good television- though keep in mind..unlike NTSC monitors, TVs drift and will have to be recalibrated often.
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #1145
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I am going to put a few of the suggestions to test and use the best solution
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #1146
Regular Crew

avi contrast problems, Help!

Hi everybody

I have a problem and have no idea where to start looking!
It started when i created avi files on Storm2 and then used it to as a part of a new Avi file.
The second Avi lost contrast- colors (black,,) wasn't the same any more.

These days I use a combination of Premiere,Vegas and storm2 and I am still getting "washed out" colors.

2 years ago when my only toy was pinnacle studio 7 had never these problem!

Does any body has any idea where should I start to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony>
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #1147

It could be related to the different ways in which codecs interpret information. What happens if you use uncompressed? Do you notice the problem then?
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1148

RSVP for Sony Event at NAB

Now that Sony has put together the Vegas gathering, you'll need to RSVP the good folks at Sony.
If you'd like to attend, email to: sonyproaudio@am.sony.com This will let them know how many folks to expect.
Event Details:
Monday, April 19
7:30 p.m.- 9:30 p.m.
Paris Hotel
There will be lots to see and do, giveaways and other excitement. Meet the Sony folks responsible for Vegas and put faces to all the names you keep seeing around the web forums.
Please drop an email to the above address if you plan on attending. See you all there!!
Thanks to Jay Mitchell/SoCal Vegas Users for being one of the catalysts in this event coming about.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #1149
Slash Rules!

I'm a little thick: I tried capturing with scenalyzer, and now I have the audio, but I've got those watermarks every so often. If I don't want to purchase the program, what does this mean for me?

If the audio's on stereo 2, is there some way to set Vegas 4 to detect it?

Also, forgot to mention this (sorry!), but I'm not sure how this file was printed to tape. The guy was making DVD copies of this short, so this could be an MPEG-2 burnt to tape, or an AVI file. There's really no way to tell, is there? I can't get ahold of him because he moved to LA yesterday, and I have no new contact info! Ha! ha! hahahahahhaha!

Would this DVD/MPEG business affect the audio? I thought of it because while watching one scene in the movie, there's a shot where there's a hot spot on a guys face, and it's all pixellated, while the rest of the picture looks normal.
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #1150
Regular Crew

Nice! What camera did you use for this?

You've got some really nice shots in there as well as some shots that, I think, might have been better had it not been for some of the panning back and forth. Just something to think about for your future projects. Keep going and I think you'll find that you've got what it takes to do this full time.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #1151

I don't know if Scenalyzer adds any watermarks to the audio. If not, just add the video captured in Vegas and the audio captured in Scenalyzer - then make sure they're in sync! That should solve your problem for now.

Vegas will not capture the second stereo audio channel. That's why I originally bought Scenalyzer - which can capture the video and BOTH stereo channels in one pass.

However, for $33, if it solves your problem, it's a VERY SMALL price to pay.
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #1152
Regular Crew

Chris, thanks for posting this. I have a few comments:

1. Use a tripod. The jerky movement was unsettling.
2. Don't zoom in & out -- it looks too homevideoish.
3. Watch out for the fast & inconsistent panning
4. When you were focusing on a subject, I found it disconcerting to see them talk when you couldn't hear them.
5. This type of venture might work well with a healthy dosage of slow motion (that is, if it is about this length and just set to music).
6. I liked some of the shots -- especially the fog or clouds (I guess fog is a cloud!)

And, finally, I am sure that there is a story that you're trying to tell, but I don't know what it is. If you don't use voiceovers, you can still use titles. Off the top of my head, I'd want to know things like:
- is this is first time walking on the Appalachian trail?
- Why is he doing it?
- How far does he go each day?
- What is the weather like (highs/lows during his trip)
- Does he do any of this alone, or is it with the same people throughout?
- How many people have done this?
- How much preparation did this take?
- Did he face any particular hardships?

This is the type of project that can take on a life of it's own, and before you know it, you can be trying to edit it down to an hour, so it just depends on what you're trying to do with it.

Also, I did like the music.

If you like doing this, then please, keep doing it. Follow your dream.
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #1153
Wrangler

Same comments/questions as James

but I do want to know, why did you choose the carrion eating bird as the ending, is there any significance to it?

it felt like an inside joke, tribute, or just some random ending
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #1154
Wrangler

The only other input I can provide is in regards to pacing. I found some of your shots a bit long. Especially present during the shot inside the car...it was almost like you were drawing it out waiting for the peak in the song. Also once that peak in the song hits try using a "flash" transition...I feel it would be more impactfull than a page flip. Otherwise good second effort- keep up the hard work!
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #1155
Tourist

Vegas & OMF

I'm a Vegas user, working with an Avid producer. I'm working on the audio of an indie film and scoring the music. He wants to give me the project files as OMF, but, I'm finding that Vegas does not support this file format. Why doesn't Vegas support this file and what are anyones thoughts on how I can work with my producer on this project?

thanks for your help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...