Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 9th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #1201
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you change any settings to "fine-tune" the OS? Specifically did you turn off terminal services?

Did you install as an administrator?
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #1202
Major Player

Some sound cards, like my Audigy Pro, have a function to record "what you hear". If your does you just hit record on its screen and then play with whatever software player handles the format.

David Hurdon
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #1203
Major Player

Sorry, that's Audigy Platinum.

David Hurdon
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #1204
Major Player

I was just dealing with the same issue, using Final Cut Pro on a Mac. I purchased a song on the iTunes music store and tried to import it, but it also said it had problems with that file. After many dirfferent experiments, I figured out two options:

a) burn the song onto a CD-R, then re-import it as an AIFF file. This should remove copy-protection.

b) download a program that converts copy-protected files into AIFF files. The one I got is called aacConverter. I found it on Versiontracker.com, and it's freeware, but I think it's Mac only. I'm sure there must be something similar to this for Windows out there.

Hope this helps!
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #1205
Regular Crew

Actually, the music does not play from my MP3 player -- I have one that is a few years old, and it does not support the copy protection schemes that are in place, so I can't play it on my MP3 player. I can play it using musicmatch & Windows Media.

My system is a Sony Vaio, and right now, I'm just using the built-in sound card (SiS 7012 Wave, I think). It does have a recorder, but I think it is looking to record from a mic.

I tried downloading Audio Converter to convert the file to an MP3, but the application slapped my hand, indicating that the file is copy protected. I'm now in the process of trying several other apps that I'm finding on CNET to see if I can do what I want to do.

I do want to point out that my objective is to merely use the music that I purchased from within Vegas, not to do anything that I shouldn't be doing.
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #1206
Regular Crew

Okay, it seems I found the answer to my question -- thanks to those who responded. I downloaded a recorder that records anything coming through the speakers (Audio Playback Recorder -- found on CNET). I guess this is what David was referring to, although my system didn't seem to come with one (or I can't find it).

Quality does not seem as good as the original, but for my purposes, it seems fine.
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #1207
Trustee

I am running Windows XP Pro

Yes I did! As administrator I installed every patch (notably SP1) and de-activated every service I could. I can not uninstall the patches, but I can try re-activating the services to see if it makes a difference.

I tried re-installating Vegas 4.0e to no avail.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #1208
Major Player

James, bring up your sound card's Mixer. It will show a master volume control and a number of others for mic/line/midi/headphones/ etc. Poke around looking for "What you Hear". If it's there somewhere you have the capability, and it might be superior to a 3rd party download-or not;-)

David Hurdon
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #1209
Major Player

James

Jaime had it about right -- the best way to "circumvent" copy protection in downloaded music is to burn it as audio to a CD using MusicMatch (or any other MP3 program you have that will play the song and will burn an audio CD) and then re-encode it as a mp3/wav/file of your choice. There is a very slight loss in quality due to re-encoding, but I think it's a better way to handle this problem (and I've done it both ways -- burning to CD and also looping the audio from the output back into the PC)

[by the way, this information is given to help people with "Fair Use" copying of music they have purchased. Please try to adhere to copyright laws when creating commercial works]
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #1210
Major Player

Cananyone help my import FCP4 data into Vegas?

(Sorry for the cross-post - thought maybe someone here would have already had this issue)

Hi,

I'm at a friends and we're trying to colaborate on a project. She's put together video and audio in Final Cut Pro 4 and needs to export or render it so that I can pull it into my PC editing program (I use Vegas).

AVI's are fine so I don't think this will be a problem. The problem right nos is I know nothing about MACs and she knows enough to get her projects done just on the mac.

We rendered from FCP4 but to my chagrin it didn't prompt for a filename or location and when we search her hard drives for files with names similar to the project and there's nothing sizable enough to be the 14 minute file that we rendered.

Can anyone help me locate this magic file or perhaps explain the best way to output a high quality project from the mac so I can import it into my PC for further editing?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #1211

Vegas can accept MOV straight from FCP. Just render to a new MOV or AVI file and you should be fine. How are you planning to transfer the file between the two computers?
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #1212
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Vegas can accept MOV straight from FCP. Just render to a new MOV or AVI file and you should be fine. How are you planning to transfer the file between the two computers? -->>>

I diddled around enough to get access to some folders on the MAC. The pain in the arse bit is that I can't figure out how to access her firewire drive so we have to move the chunks from there to folders on the local hard drive.

If you know the trick to getting access to the firewire drive through the apple networking I would be muchos appreciative.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #1213

It really depends on the formatting of the firewire drive. If the firewire drive is in FAT32, it will be readable by both. If the firewire drive is in Mac format, you need a driver of some sort for the windows machine to read it. However, I don't know the name of that driver.
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #1214
Inner Circle

or she can run a windows shell within her mac and learn vegas :)

if you wnat a link to a tech related forum i administer which deals with macs and pretty much anythig tech related, email or pm me and i will send you the link.

if i cant help you, someone there will.
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1215
Regular Crew

Wait! i found out what it was. Ok so after uninstalling and reinstalling even trying a new firewire i could still not capture through vegas capture tool with out it stalling. So what i did was i saw a cheap little editing software catching dust on my bookshelf its called "video explosion" and now im capturing my footage through that software. It worked jus fine but i want to know if there is any prblem doing that. Any image quality loss or anything. After capturing i go to edit in vegas.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...