Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 67 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #991
Trustee

How do to the Handwriting Effect

Hi guys. I have 2 short clips here which I think r really nice. The first, is the writing text effect. I like to know what software can I use to create that. The example below writes chinese text.
http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...A36A1PFLK16XSN

Second effect is warping of an entire block of characters. IT looks as if the text block is rotating about an axis. At the same time, blocks of images fly in to fill the screen. Its look like an AE production to me. Can it be done in Vegas 6?
http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...722TBU3LELJKC0

Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #992
Regular Crew

Drop vs. non-drop

My timecode has been eating my lunch. Here's a quick synopsis. I did a 3 cam shoot in HDCam 1080 60i. I captured the footage via firewire & a J-h3 deck. My intention is to do the SD ofline in Vegas 6 D and my partner to take my EDL's and do the Online in HD. My edl's don't work because Vegas is picking up different t/c. How I know that is that when I captured my footage, I set the deck to superimpose the t/c on the image. When I tell vegas to add the t/c to the media, it adds some other funky t/c that is way off. Hence my edl's don't sync. Sony showed me how to use eser set t/c on each media. I then went to the beginning of the clip and wrote down the t/c superimposed and went to media properties ands added that as my starting t/c. I'm almost through when I realize that two cams were on drop frame and one was on non-drop. Can anyone tell me if the selection of drop/non-drop must be made prior to capture? My t/c's still drift about 5 seconds in 3 minutes which I guess is due to drop frames.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #993
Regular Crew

New to vegas

I purchased Movie studio + DVD platinum and found out that this program is quite difficult to learn. Does anyone know of any beginner training videos for this program? I really appreciate the great information from this website. Take care and GOD bless!
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #994
Regular Crew

David,
VASST just released their training DVD for VMS. See it here: http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...5-694ef7cc7fb9. There's 4 hours of instruction. It's only $49 too. I've got one coming. Looks really good.
Randy
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #995
Regular Crew

OT-Cool New Plug-in For Vegas

VASST has just released a plug-in that will make your video look like a sketch or cartoon and several other very cool effects. It's only $39 too. Check it out here: http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...c-64b4f1186f27. I gotta get this.
Randy
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #996
Sponsor: JET DV

You can also look over my newsletters. While written for the full version, most aspects apply to the movie studio versions as well.
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #997

LOL, there are also several dozen tutorials and downloadable training files that will open in Vegas Movie Studio that can be found at the VASST website as well.

but overall, you can't beat the forums for good information, and getting it fasst.
Look how fast you got 3 responses to your "training resource" question!
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #998
Major Player

David,

Even though I own Vegas now, I recently downloaded one of the Studio product trials and though I haven't installed it yet, I saw that it comes with a series of free Tutorials. If you haven't done all of those then that's exactly where you should start. It will explain the Vegas interface and basic workflow.

Mr. Troxel's Newsletters are the next logical step (free and quite an education) and these will lead you to two conclusions:

1. You'll want to buy some quality instruction to get your money's worth, and Mr. Douglas Spotted Eagle is a huge favorite in this area.

2. You'll want to upgrade to Vegas ; )
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:56 AM   #999
Major Player

How to add timecode to display in video

I have down up a rough draft of a project for a client. I would like to display some sort of timecode or minute counter on the frame somewhere. So they can watch it and make notes of changes etc.
Is there a way to do this in Vegas?
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1000
Sponsor: JET DV

Just add a Sony Timecode effect to one of the tracks.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:22 AM   #1001
Inner Circle

another option, instead of the particlar track, is that if u want a global timecode for teh full project (if ur working with multiple video tracks) is to add the filter to the master output
when ur done, all u gotta do is disable the filter
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1002
Regular Crew

Z1U 1080i to 4:3 SD

Greetings,

I'm heading into a shoot soon that requires the final output product to be 4:3 standard def.

I am going to shoot 1080i HDV for future needs. However, I am still in the process of determining the most effective method of conversion from widescreen high def to 4:3 SD.

If I understand it correctly, it should go something like this:

1. Shoot in HD observing the framing of the subject based on the 4:3 markers on the camera
2. Import the native .m2t stream into Vegas 6.0 in a project with its propoerties set to the 1080i 60i template as this is what the source will be.
3. Apply the pan/crop tool to the clip to set up the desired framing in 4:3 on each event.
4. Render to a new SD 4:3 .avi file
5. Edit the 4:3 SD footage as required

Any comments on the this workflow versus any other possibiliies?

As always, I appreciated the feedback on this forum!

Lance Spratt
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1003
Trustee

Why don't you just downconvert from the camera while you are capturing the material?
You can elect for it to be converted to 4:3 on the fly. Saves all that time and hassle doing it in Vegas, for no real benefit...

Robin
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM   #1004
Sponsor: VASST

I agree with Robin:
  1. Shoot in HD observing the framing of the subject based on the 4:3 markers on the camera
  2. Import the DV down convert from the camera using the EDGE CROP method.
  3. Edit the 4:3 SD footage as required
To turn on the down convert option, when the camera is in VCR mode use the two menu options:

MENU / TRANSFER / I.LINK CONV / HDV->DV CONV / ON
MENU / TRANSFER / DOWN CONVERT / EDGE CROP

This will save you a LOT of time. I have these assigned to my P.MENU for easy access.

~jr
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1005
Sponsor: VASST

Try our free Vegas script plug-in called DVDPrep. It selects the proper rendering templates for you. You can find it on the VASST Freeware page. DVDPrep takes all the guesswork out of rendering.

~jr
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...