Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 67 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #991
Regular Crew

hey guys, thanks for the replies,
I filmed on 8mm video camera, not 8mm film camera, so that would be interlaced wouldn't it?

I normally set my preview window to good, or preview. I recently discovered that when I tried putting it on best, or draft, the waviness disappears and the small jagged lines that I would normally associate with interlacing appear. (only on best or draft) I would think that this is just how my monitor, or video card deals with it and there is no problem. As a matter of fact, the avi that I made looked beautiful on my computer. Unfortunately, when I took that avi and put it in mydvd and created a dvd with it, and played it on my television- the nasty waviness was back during scenes with movement.

weird.

I am confused.

Adam
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #992
RED Code Chef

Sounds more like a cleaner problem then Vegas. But, in what
AVI format are you exporting (OpenDML/type 2 or not?) and
with what codec (DV, DiVX etc.)?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #993
RED Code Chef

Or right-click the clip, choose properties and adjust the playback
rate....

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #994
Wrangler

Thanks, I'm using Edward's first suggestion until this problem is fixed in the next version of AlamDV.

>> 1) Render to uncompressed (fine for short clips because it takes a LOT of space)

FYI: My workflow is:

1. Render out small / uncompressed video clips in Vegas
2. Apply effects in AlamDV
3. Export only the AlamDV effects ... with a colored background
4. Composite effects / video in Vegas by keying out colored background.
Old September 9th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #995
New Boot

I just found out that my Vegas can read DivX. The movie that is giving me trouble is not using DivX, but Xvid. Interestingly, as said, WMP can read Xvid but Vegas can't.
VirtualDub also cannot open the Xvid movie, because it says that I have to have a non-Windows version of the Xvid decoder, or something like that.
I keep researching the Internet for answers...
Thanks guys.
Old September 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #996
Sponsor: JET DV

Well... CTRL-Drag and right-click - Properties - Adjust Playback Rate are basically the same thing. When you CTRL-Drag, the playback rate IS adjusted automatically. The only difference: When you manually set the playback rate, the length of the clip on the timeline is not affected. When you CTRL-Drag, the amount of the clip used is not affected.

Vegas just provides so many different ways to do the same thing. Isn't it WONDERFUL? Thanks for pointing out another alternative Rob.
Old September 9th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #997
RED Code Chef

That's an interesting idea... But don't you introduce calculations
errors since the program wasn't able to work on the original
pixels?

Old September 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #998
RED Code Chef

Indeed Edward, that's why I pointed it out. Forgot to include
what the difference was. Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes
working with numbers can be handy (like changing speed on a
section of a movie that must stay at the exact same length)!

Old September 9th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #999
RED Code Chef

I don't seem to be able to download that movie from your site.
Keep in mind that when exporting in Vegas you need to go into
the custom settings and set the quality to best and on the video
tab the CORRECT field order (or none if it was shot progressive/
frame mode)

Old September 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #1000
Regular Crew

Tsunami exploits ...

I've been putting the Video Wall in Tsunami through it's paces, using a set of Main Concept Texture loops - not for any reason except it's handy to have 100 short avis available in a folder.

Anyway, to test out the Video Wall, I went "the whole way" and threw all 100 clips on the timeline (add across tracks) then asked Tsunami to make a 10 x 10 video wall.

Things went quiet, and I thought perhaps I'd gone too far, then suddenly up popped a perfect 10 x 10 preview.

On my 1.6 Ghz laptop I didn't expect it to preview 100 pieces of video fluently, so I rendered it as a new avi. The loops were 4 seconds long, and it took 8 mins to render. Because the 4 seconds comprised loops which finished as they started, I could drag the new avi out to any length, then apply track motion / deform etc to make 100 pieces of video float around, expand and contract etc. It looks incredibly impressive.

Imagine how long this would have taken to do "by hand"!

Well done Edward.
Old September 9th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #1001

Re: Tsunami exploits ...

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Wright : Imagine how long this would have taken to do "by hand"! -->>>

A LONG time. BTW, the limit is 20 x 20. Want to try it again with 400 clips????
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #1002
Wrangler

SoFo noise reduction

I'm checking out the SoFo Noise Reduction software, using it through Vegas 4.
I need to see how well it works cutting out a loud screechy hiss that plagued my audio during one shoot. I think someone laid an extension cord across the XLR cable.
Anyway...
I've downloaded the manual, and read it, and I get the gist of it, but I'm just not sure the best way to get this hiss out. Can anyone suggest how, or point me to a tutorial?

Much obliged!
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #1003
Rextilleon

DVD Architect Templete

I just rendered a video to MPEG2 in both black and white and color. I authored a DVD in Architect and burnt the color version. Now I want to burn the black and white version with the exact same setup vis a vis menus etc. Do I have to create the page all over again or is there a way of saving a templete that can be used again
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #1004

I would try this:

With DVDA closed, rename the "color" version to some other name, rename the B&W version to what the color one WAS named, open DVDA and it should read the B&W file now instead of the color one.
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #1005
Tourist

A long journey with a happy ending

I wanted to provide everyone with an update on my burning experience using DVD-A and my Pioneer A03 in the hope this information might be useful to someone, since people in this forum were kind enough to offer some advice when I originally posted asking for help.

I have to admit that although I have owned my Pioneer A03 for years, I had only used it to burn data files for back-up until very recently. Other than a box of five Memorex DVD-RW (big mistake), I used Pioneer DVD-RW (mostly) and Pioneer DVD-R media (the rest of the time) without any problems.

My first attempt to burn DVD Video was with the Pioneer A03 using DVD-A about two weeks ago. Since I wanted to maximize compatibility with home DVD players I decided to use DVD-R media. I thought I had no blank Pioneer DVD-R’s left and no one in town stocked the Pioneer brand. Since I was in a hurry, I did some research in an attempt to find a decent brand someone locally stocked. I chose TDK 2x DVD-R’s. I had flashed the Pioneer to the 2.0 firmware months ago and after installing Vegas and DVD-A upgraded them to the most recent releases.

My first attempt using DVD-A and the TDK media resulted in the 'SFMMCX'-(17)' error. Since I had done some reading prior to burning, I recognized the error and thought the DVD-A 1.0c release had fixed this problem. I decided to contact Sonic Foundry (Sony) support.

My first contact with Sonic Foundry (Sony) support via the phone was unsatisfying. I was informed that as the web site indicated, only DVD-RW was supported on the Pioneer drive (the web site has subsequently been updated). I assumed I was not talking with someone that could help me, so I sought help elsewhere. I sent email to Sonic Foundry technical support describing the problem and received an email response indicating that I should be able to do what I wanted. Sonic Foundry technical support suggested that there could be conflicts with other programs running on my machine or that the media could be the problem.

While I was waiting for this response (being in a hurry) I did some reading and purchased Nero thinking that it might be able to burn the project built by DVD-A. I wasn’t able to burn a DVD Video that would play from Nero either. It indicated incompatibility with the files from DVD-A. I then posted asking for help with this. A variety of responses were suggested.

I removed a number of media player and other software from my machine (as was suggested), causing my machine to be unable to load a DVD movie without freezing. Several days were spent trying to get the missing component reinstalled. Another fun story better saved for another post.

Got another message from Sonic Foundry with more specific media information (via a link) suggesting several reliable media (Pioneer (not Piodata), Apple, Maxell (not including fakes) being a few). About the same time I got this message I found a blank Pioneer disc and tried burning to it using DVD-A. It worked without problem. Went out at lunch today and found a 5 pack of Maxell. Just burned 5 DVD Video via DVD-A without problem.

Current Status

Can burn data files from Nero to TDK DVD-R 2x, Pioneer DVD-RW, Pioneer DVD-R media without problems.
Can burn DVD Video to Pioneer (I’m 1 for 1, hopefully this will continue since I ordered a dozen more) using DVD-A
Can burn DVD Video to Maxell DVD-R using DVD-A

While removal of some applications may have contributed to my recent success using DVD-A, I still can’t burn DVD Video to the TDK-R 2x media, while I can to Pioneer and Maxell media.

While it would be nice to use something cheaper (I paid about $3.50 a disk – could do better buying in quantity or using some web options), I don’t plan on burning a large number of DVD Video so I am sticking with what works. Sticking with what works is not new advice but it is still good advice. My problem was that I didn’t know what worked until I spent a fair amount of money experimenting.

Thanks to those in the forum and Sonic Foundry support for their suggested solutions. I hope someone finds this information useful.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...