Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #1531
Sponsor: JET DV

Are you overlapping the clips so that the second clip sliding in starts BEFORE the first clip ends?
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #1532
Regular Crew

Hi Ed

I tried overlapping them and leaving them side by side but it is always the same result.

Thx for your time
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #1533

Perhaps if you posted a couple seconds worth of the video (maybe a second from each piece) we could come up with a veg file that does what you want.
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:27 AM   #1534
RED Code Chef

Brian: that is true indeed. An option is to add a new track above
your other tracks and add a letterbox mask here, this stays at
the place it should and solves your problem.

See my post at the end of the following thread for a link to some
masks and the instruction on how to use them in Vegas:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=33557

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #1535
Tourist

Capturing clips in Vegas, Problem.

When I attempt to capture clips in vegas, the preview doesn't show anything. But it says that the device is detected. If I push stop it says that the device is stopped, the same for rewinding and fastforwarding. Could someone help me?
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #1536
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Justin. Could you please provide us
with a bit more information please?

1. what operating system (and which version) are you running?

2. what exact version of Vegas are you running?

3. which camera are you working with?

4. how is this camera connected?

5. does the capture work (ie, your only not seeing the preview)? or is also no file captured

6. is your preview (under the options) menu set to either "Always Preview Video" or "Smart Preview Video"? Did you try both?

Old November 29th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #1537

Also...

7) Assuming you are connected via firewire (since you're seeing "stopped" and "fastforward"...) have you tried a different firewire cable and/or camera?
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1538
Tourist

I run windows xp professional, with Sony Vegas. I am capturing from a Sony TRV38. I am connected through fireware, and have tried different cables. There isn't a file being captured either. It is set to Always Preview Video, but i have tried both. Thank you for responding.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1539
Major Player

Not ot be obnoxious, but have you read the instructions or help file? I just started using Vegas, and I did not find it intuitive to capture. The capture is a separate program from Vegas, and has its own settings. There are a few settings that you need to change in the preferences and file locations, and the mouse sequence also seeemed odd to me until I figured it out. I hitnk I have to click "capture" twice (two different windows) to make it happen. If you root around in the preferences and capture settings, you should see how they need to be changed. If not, I would need to boot up the capture program to help you further, and I have to stop everything else I am doing to capture... HTH
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #1540
Regular Crew

Camera Choice for Vegas

My wife and I are wanting to start doing video biographies using a similar type format you may see on A&E Autobiographies. We want to incorperate Photo Montages and old video(customers) into the video at times. Most of our situations will be controlable as far as lighting and such. I want to be able to get good Sound. I Received some Samples from others who do this and most of there audio was horrible. I have Played around with the demo for Vegas and like its capabilities although it may be more than what i need. I have a 2,4G Pentium 4 SYSTEM with 512 M of PC2700 DDR Ram.
40 G Hard drive(7200 RPM) Option for Serial ATA Drive ,USB2 and Firewire.
SO.... Assuming i have the right equipment so far. There are 10,000 different opinions on what camera is the best. My starting Camera Budget is around $2000 range. I have looked at the Sony trv950 And the Cannon GL2. Both have a good picture. I want to look like a Professional until I can become one. Can anyone make sense of what I really need. If I need to save more i will wait. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #1541
Tourist

Ive gone through the help files a ton of times. I just can't figure out why the device is detected, but it doesn't show the video or audio. I've used Vegas to edit, but i haven't captured with it yet, becuase i just got it on my computer. Thank you for your help.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #1542
RED Code Chef

Which exact version of Vegas are you running?

Please start Vegas and go to: Help -> About Vegas Software

Mine says (for example):

Sony Vegas 5.0
Version 5.0b (Build 160)

Old November 29th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1543
Regular Crew

black diffuse

Is it possible to difusse the black color? I mean to blur the just the black.

Bye!
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #1544
Major Player

I'm giving Vegas 5.0 demo a try...

Hi all,

I'm trying out the trial version of Vegas 5.0.
I have a P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM and a lovely and talented ATI X300 SE 128 Mb vid card. ;-P

I have two 17" monitors hooked to the x300 and I'm wondering if there's a setting to have Vegas extend across the second screen or do I simply "Restore Down" and then "pull" the edge of the program until it uses both monitors as I do now? I looked and couldn't figure out another way. *sigh*

Also, am I missing something in my presets and preferences when I play one of the sample projects (Rack Focus, for instance) and it's rather choppy in the preview screen?

My RAM usage in Vegas (I'm at work so can't recall what it's called) is set at 64 Mb. Is there a problem with my card? I've heard that rendering is done in OpenGL. Perhaps my card is lacking?

Forgive any comments or questions that are examples of gross ignorance.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

ian
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #1545
Inner Circle

1- Get the latest dual monitor utility/driver for your video card (hydravision). They can be downloaded off the ATI site.

In Vegas 5, you can draw windows to the other monitor and save your settings by hitting the crtl alt D + number combinations (check the Vegas manual).

Your ATI card needs to be set to the mode where you have two independent monitors.

I have an ATI 9200SE and that's what happens.

2- If you have the money, the shareware utility Ultramon is EXCELLENT. You will love dual monitors with that utility as you get two taskbars and you can map a shortcut to swap windows between monitors (very nice when you have multiple windows and an internet browser window). I map F1 to switch monitors (works for me).

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

The utility kind of replaces hydravision and you'll never have to look back.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...