Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 114 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #1696
Regular Crew

The tape and the camcorder is 8 years old.
Here is the clip that you can see for yourself. Thank you in advance.
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #1697
Regular Crew

Video rendering quality: Best (set as default)

How would you set Video rendering quality: Best to be as default rather than Good?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #1698
Sponsor: JET DV

Unless you're doing a lot of photo rescaling, good will give you the same results which is why it's the default. To change it permanently, go to file - properties, change it to BEST, click the "use these settings for all projects" (or whatever that checkbox says in the lower left) and then click on OK. All new projects from that point forward should use those settings. You may still need to check all older projects.
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #1699

If you're going to be viewing it on TV, 5% is outside the safe area anyway. Just mask it out but it won't make any difference anyway. If you're wanting to view it on the web, you might mask out the same amount from the top so it looks consistent.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #1700
Major Player

Are you saying that you DO NOT want pulldown removal? Can you re-phrase please?
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #1701
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hudson : Are you saying that you DO NOT want pulldown removal? Can you re-phrase please? -->>>

Sorry if I said it wrong . I DO want 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal. But it only gives me option for 2:3 removal.

Frank
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #1702
Major Player

I'm going to try and help. Start from the beginning

1. Are you attempting to capture video using the DVX or XL2 (from progressively shot 24p) ?

2. Are you attempting to turn 60i footage into progressive footage?

I use the DVX100; have you shot 24p or 24pa ? Do you have the option selected "Allow Pulldown Removal?".

If you shot 24p (Standard) it will do a 2:3 pulldown for you

If you shot 24pa (Advanced) it will do a 2:3:3:2
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #1703
New Boot

previewing to tv from computer....

Is it possible to preview video footage from Vegas to a TV via s-video from an ATI Radeon 9600SE? Or should I go the route with using a camcorder as the device to preview to TV from the computer? Thanks
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1704

Use your camcorder. While you *might* find a way to get the other to work, it will NOT be good for things like color correction. Use the firewire connection to be able to see what the final output will look like.
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #1705
Tourist

Eliminating flicker in 8mm transfer

I have just transferred some 8mm footage to Vegas using a Panasonic PV-GS400. I am getting flicker in my Vegas footage . How do I get rid of this problem. Thanks
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #1706
Major Player

Editing in with mulitiple tracks

Ok.... Here is my attempt at describing my question.....

Lets say I have 1 video track with three audio tracks. When I cut something from the the video track it will cut the audio from that track but I want it to cut from all of the other tracks as well? This could work for pasting as well. How do I link all the tracks together.

Thanks,

Jon East
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #1707
Major Player

I guess this is more of a paste question... How do I get it to paste and push all the tracks instead of just one track?

I under stand that ctrl-L will allow it too push or not push on one track but not on all tracks.

Thanks again,

Jon
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1708
Inner Circle

Tim,

I assume you just aimed the camera at the screen and shot with the video camera? If that's the case, then the flicker is in the footage.

If you were transferring 8mm, and not super 8mm, then most likely it was shot at 16fps. You could try recapturing again, but projecting with a variable speed projector. By turning the speed down to 15fps, or up to 20, you would pretty much eliminate the flicker. (Depending on whether you had a three bladed projcetor shutter or a two bladed.)

The key is to "tune" the projection speed to eliminate the flicker in your viewfinder. Of course, tuning the camera's shutter can help as well, but what you are trying to do is come up with an even division of frames per second of film with fields per second of video.

You could also have the footage professionally transfered. Moviestuff can do this for you , and they do a great job.

Finally, there are some plug-ins that will "remove flicker", but I am not certain they are compatible with VEGAS. Look up "Three Prong" for info.

Good luck
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #1709

Splitting clips works very logically:

Pressing "S" will split all SELECTED events

If you press "S" and nothing splits, something not under the cursor was selected.

If you want to make sure all events are split, either to a CTRL-A or Shift-CTRL-A before pressing "S"

To "link tracks together", select them all and press "G" to "Group" them.
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #1710
Major Player

THANK YOU!!!!

You are the best.. Thanks, Jon.... I will try it.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...