Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 27th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #961
Old Boot

Vegas Takes Over the World! - Oz-VeggieMates . . !

Hey guys . . try this and just see where in Oz the Veg Heads are . . AND GIT yerself on the map - NOW!

http://www.vegasusers.com/whereareyou/

Grazie
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #962
Regular Crew

animatte for vegas?

is there a 3rd party plug that does this?
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #963
Major Player

I use Vegas to edit my HD10u video.....don't know that I've got tricks etc. to share, but who knows!!!

I'm in the lovely Blue Mountains. Katoomba to be precise.
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #964
Trustee

Film Look

What about just rendering to 30p instead of interlace 60i?

OH and another thing...

Can I render out MPEG-2 to mini DV tape or must I use AVI for Windows like I always do? In other words, is MPEG-2 only for when I make a DVD?
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #965
Regular Crew

The statement that SP2 cannot be deleted from some computers is true. We have 3 PCs at the office and 3 PCs at home, and all our office machines became dysfunctional when using network loaded plug-ins (example: SurvCADD). The removal of SP2 was successful in 2 of the 3 office machines. One still has it and the plug-in no longer works.

As far as Vegas, no problems observed so far.
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #966
Regular Crew

kick it to me... kick it to me...

In Adelaide!!

If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #967
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Phan : Very smooth, no problem here -->>>
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #968
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. It's good to see people are having success with Vegas and SP2. Since I'm starting with a fresh new PC, I decided to take the plunge and go with SP2. Some people have said that they've seen fewer problems when SP2 is installed on a fresh system rather than upgrade an existing system with SP1 and applications. Or maybe it's another internet myth.
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #969
Wrangler

DVDA2 Frustrations....

Finally dug into DVDA2 for the first time tonight. Trying to finish up a wedding on DVD and just wanted to do a simple static menu. With a chapter selections page(s), and "extras".

Anyway firt off DVDA2 will NOT preview on external monitor. I have absolutly no problems what so ever with Vegas 5 in this respect but for some reason DVDA2 will not do it.
Earlier in the night I went back to Vegas just to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my DV camera I'm using...nope worked fine. Went back into DVDA2....boom it was working all of the sudden.

I figure ok...just a minor glitch...it didn't detect it at first. No problem.... I do some more work in DVDA2 then save and close out to go back into photoshop for some more graphic work. Go BACK into DVDA2 about 20 minutes later and I cannot get it to preview to external monitor again. Now it won't do it no matter what I do....even going to Vegas and back like I did originally doesn't fix it. GRRRRR!

2nd Problem- I right click on the media in my project and choose "insert" sceen selection menu. By default it makes links with images and text. I just want text so I delete the thumbnails. I label all the links with text and use the align tools to line them up. I chose "underline" to be my highlight style and when I go to "preview" the menu all the text buttons aren't aligned. Even though when I'm NOT in preview mode they are perfect. I'm thinking it has something to do with the text box that surround the text but I haven't figured out how to fix it so they all align perfectly! Doh! Never thought DVDA2 would be such a pain.
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #970
Regular Crew

Complex projects folder structure and archiving strategies

I just finished 2 large projects which involved using Vegas Video, DVD Architect, Photoshop, AfterEffects and Soundforge.

For the larger one (10+ hours of raw footage) I rendered each scene in a separate file and then created a "final cut" project (the equivalent of nested timelines I guess).

My less than perfectly planned approach resulted in more than 100 files in one folder.

My intent is to create a universal structure for the files of future projects which will accomodate the "nested timeline" approach and allow for easy backup and restore process.

Restoring will include recapturing of the raw files and naming them in exactly the same way, and making sure they were captured perfectly, or have a plan for dealing with misaligned footage.

As this is a multiple question request, feel free to supply one or more parts.

Experienced Vegas users, what is your approach?

Thank you!
-- Andre
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #971
Wrangler

These are the basic folders I use on every project:

media - original video & sound files + Excel log
dvd - anything to do with DVD creation
nle - Vegas project files
web - Vegas project file with settings for the web

Depending on the project, I'll add more sub-sub-folders to help manage the mess. The Excel log file in the media directory is usually where I store the details on how & from where the original files were created.
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #972
Regular Crew

What does the log look like?

Michael, thank you for the reply.

What is the structure of the excel file?

Please post the column names and an examle row if possible.

Thanks.
-- Andre
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #973
Sponsor: JET DV

The preview problem is an know problem. The basic solution is to go into the properties, change it to widescreen, and then change it back. That should let the preview start working.

The alignment tools work for me. However, I *DO* have to make sure they are all left or right justified (not centered) depending on the side I'm wanting to align.

p.s. I, too, wish there was a way to specify text only when creating the menu entries.
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #974
Wrangler

p.s. I, too, wish there was a way to specify text only when creating the menu entries. -->>>

Hmmm Sony...are you listening. Maybe for 2.0b perhaps? :)

Thanks Edward I'll give it a shot!
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #975
Wrangler

Nothing fancy, please excuse the formatting.

Filename | Source | Length | Notes
---------------------------------------------
mdv003-clip02.avi | mdv003* | 5:42 | anna running down street
score01.wav | acid* | 1:30 | intro to project 3
logo.jpg | photoshop | n/a | company bug/logo
fire.avi | cool 3d studio | 0:30 | magic blast

etc.

* mdv003 refers to a particular tape. I usually put acid, photoshop, and other project files in the nle folder
---------------------------------------------
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...