Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #1351
Inner Circle

You can have 2 instances of Vegas open at once, so you can render with one and edit the other.
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #1352
Trustee

Very peculiar Vegas 5b crashes

In the last two days I have started suffering from some very odd crashes with Vegas 5b. What happens is that on odd occasions when I use the undo function Vegas just disappears! I then have to load it up again and luckily it normally has an autosaved version of the project due to the crash.

I haven't installed anything new on my machine, which is only 3 months old and has no internet access.

The only thing I have done differently with this project is that I have used the media bins with a folder for each scenes files (15 bin folders in all). I've noticed some odd behaviour with these too (such as the placing of media from other bins into other scenes bins without my say so) as I never normally use Bins.

This is really frustrating me. It has happened around 5 times in the last 2 days, and it doesn't matter whether I use the Undo menu option or the keyboard shortcut, it still results in Vegas going AWOL occasionally. I've never had this problem before as Vegas is usually rock solid.
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #1353
Old Boot

Simon, what have you TITLED or named the Bins as?

Grazie
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #1354
Trustee

Just the scene numbers, eg Scene 1, Scene 2 etc
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #1355
Regular Crew

New Advice on editing

I have wedding gig I did and shot 1 cam shot. Well, I have few shots when toast was going on where I panned quickly to get 2 shot with 1 cam type deal. Now I am trying to figure out how to cut the panning part. I tried using the still pose of Bride/Groom but their facial expressions never change so it looks very obvious that I use same clips to try to cover the panning part. Any suggestions of what I can do the cut the panning??
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1356
Major Player

If you pan, is there someone visible on the screen that is doing some talking - just before or just after the panning? Or both? What I would do is cut the panning part, and find a way to do a hard cut without harming the continuity of a dialog or the audio. Try to sneak with the audio: for example, let the audio of the first videopart go on after the cut and try to make a crossfade with the audio of the 2nd videosegment after the cut.

Peter
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #1357
Sponsor: JET DV

How about a generic "crowd" shot during the pan time?
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #1358
Regular Crew

Well I did not get good generic shot of crowd. I basically went from podium to bride/groom.
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #1359
Major Player

Pan/Crop tool with initial velocity

Hi all,

Anyone know if it's possible to do a pan/crop move with an initial velocity? For example, say I want to do a left to right pan over a still image but I want it to already be moving at that velocity at the beginning of the clip and finish at that same velocity at the end of the clip. It appears that in Vegas 4 you can only set the keyframe to within the timeframe of the clip so you are always limited to a ramp up at the beginning and a ramp down at the end. Is this correct? Is there a way around this?

Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #1360
Regular Crew

Try using a Fast interpolation curve.

If that doesn't do it for you, you can use a Video Mute Envelope to pop on an event "already in progress".

Also, you could render the event and just use the part where it's up to speed.

Gary
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #1361

No crowd shots from any other time during the evening?
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #1362

Change the "smoothness" setting. The default setting is "1" which causes it to ramp up to speed. Change it to "0" for each keyframe and set the keyframes to "Linear" and it will maintain the same speed all the way.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1363
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Change the "smoothness" setting. The default setting is "1" which causes it to ramp up to speed. Change it to "0" for each keyframe and set the keyframes to "Linear" and it will maintain the same speed all the way. -->>>

Man you guys are fast! That was the ticket...exactly what I needed. But thanks for the workarounds Gary.
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #1364
Regular Crew

audio ? - cap levels

maybe this sounds dumb - but there is no way to apply a "safe cap" to the audio....similar in the way that applying the broadcast colors will keep them in the legal range i was thinking maybe there was an easy way to cap the level at -12 so its DV legal (or cap at any other level for watever purposes)

so far i didnt see anything on this - so im guessing it just a matter of playing with the levels manually or with the automation tools....

Old November 6th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1365

There's the compressor audio effect. You may also need to simply reduce the master volume some as well.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...