Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 94 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #1396
Regular Crew

I can do that with one event Rob but I'm trying to duplicate an entire track with about 50 events of generated media at once. Selecting all events on one track (without clicking each one individually) to copy is what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1397
RED Code Chef

If I place multiple media on one track, click on an empty spot in
the track and hit CTRL+A (select all) and then CTRL+C (copy)
and then insert a new video track and choose paste I get the
same dialog and if I choose copy it makes copies of all the media
in the correct order which I can change as well.

Which version of Vegas are you using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #1398
Regular Crew

I'm using 5.0b. The problem with using Ctrl A is all media from all tracks are selected. I'm having trouble isolating one entire specific track. Thanks again.
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1399
RED Code Chef

Now that's easy. Either CTRL+select them all (if it isn't too much)
or select the first event and right-click and choose "Select Events
to End"

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1400
Regular Crew

Thank you so much Rob. That solved my problem. It's the simple problems that seem to give me the most anguish : ) Now I need to contact our chinese interpreter ... that ought to be interesting.
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1401
Trustee

I read a couple articles recently that said about the same thing. Wish I'd known this when I put together my computer at the beginning of this year. You pay a premium for the faster RAM.

Links to the articles are below.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1637781,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118372,00.asp
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #1402
Regular Crew

A useful feature of Vegas...

Color correction requires adding one or more color correction effects to an event, track or clip.

A very useful Vegas feature is its ability to apply effects to an event, track or clip.

For instance, if you are cutting a scene based on 3 clips and you only need to color correct one of them, you can right-click that clip in the Media Pool and apply the color correction effect there. Thus all the events based on this clip will be color corrected.

I had to do this with my last project as I had to intercut shots from a clip taken at 2pm with shots from another taken at 3.30pm - natural light changed, I had to introduce a hot light etc. which later required me to color correct all cuts based on this clip separately.

Regards
-- Andre
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1403
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) uncompressed works for intermediate between the 2 ..
for smaller size rendered clips you could use huffy codec ( download it) ..

2) i assume in vegas you would render out your uncompressed at 23.97 progressive no pull down added .. then use the same set up in AE ...

3) if you are editing 24progressive then use progressive

4) don't use AE.. but could be that RAM preview is in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color space then you render using a DV codec which is 4:1:1 = less color , less detail , more bleeding etc ???? to test ram /render .. try rendering out to a uncompressed file to see if it's more of a match to RAM ... also if you are rendering in AE using dv codec then take that rendered file into Vegas it will NOT look the same becuase vegas codec works 16-235rgb and AE ( defaults to microsoft dv codec) works 0-255rgb = they will not look the same ... thats why persons render out using intermediate codec to take between programs.
NOTE that AE6.5 has excellent color correction using synthic apertures CC ...
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #1404

Don...

R U sure Vegas works in 16-235 RGB? It has an option to select this range, however, I don't think it's the default value. If I use the Mainconcept Codec v2.4.4, it will give me the choice of clamping to NTSC or to studio RGB. However, that doesn't say that the processing engine of V5 uses studio RGB or not. I wouldn't expect that the engineers at Sony(SoFo) would have coded with this limitation. I do know that when I use the histogram in V5, I can get colors between 0 and 255.
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #1405
Major Player

Don - thanks for the information, that answers some very basic but critical questions I had.
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #1406
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i meant that VEGAS DV codec is 16-235 ... you can use other codec's with Vegas .. you can switch Vegas to use the microsoft DV codec and then it will read/write 0 -255 .. and of course if you bought the mainconcepts you have choice ...

the scope is for reference .. it is defaulted to 16-235 (NTSC) ..note that 16RGB is 7.5 ire .. studio 16-235 just changes the scale to fit 16-235 into the 0-100ire scale so 16rgb is black (NTSC ) so it becomes 0ire ..235 is white for ntsc so it becomes 100 (which i believe is 601 spec) .. note that when you switch to 0-255 your 16 is now 7.5 and your 235 is now around 94 .. nothing has changed in the clip it just how it is read on which scale depending on your output needs - ? NTSC , WEB , HD , computers ?

BUT do note that if you do use the 0-255 and put something at 255 it will read 100ire while over on the 16-235 scale it will read 108ire and it is out of NTSC spec .. use the 16-235 for NTSC output ... 0-255 for film out, web , viewed on HD tv/monitors, good digital projectors ...

i CC using 16-235 .. however when i render my web based , computer based clips i will change the scale to 0-255 , add the color curve FX to output and lower blacks to 0 ( take 16 down to 0) and raise the upper range to 100 (235 to 255)
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #1407
Sponsor: JET DV

My understanding is that the Sony codec works in 0-255.
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #1408

I agree Edward. I never heard before that the Sony codec was hamstrung with 16-235. That's only an NTSC standard. If the Sony codec was limited in this way, you'd never be able to produce MPEGs at 0-255 using the Sony codec.
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #1409
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ravens : I agree Edward. I never heard before that the Sony codec was hamstrung with 16-235. That's only an NTSC standard. If the Sony codec was limited in this way, you'd never be able to produce MPEGs at 0-255 using the Sony codec. -->>>

Similarly, there would be no need to apply a broadcast clamp when printing to tape something that will be broadcast. Sony handles it correctly. However, there ARE some codecs that don't. Don't ask me which ones - I haven't studied the various codecs to see how they all work.
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #1410
Major Player

Selecting in the Trimmer window

Hi - I hope I can describe this is a good way - maybe I just need to change my way of working but here goes:

I like to look at a piece of video in the trimmer window and then make my rough edits, and drag the piece up to the time line.

If I do this one way - Vegas won't select the piece but if I do it another way it selects it just fine.

What I generally do is move the cursor line to the point I want to select - then IF I move the cursor over that line - the cursor changes into a 2 pointed arrow; if I left click and slide the cursor over to the right it won't select the clip. If on the other hand - I just move the cursor to some point - with a single headed arrow showing up - then click and drag - it selects the piece just fine.

Now I know I can hit the I button and began the selection and then hit the O button - I can select it that way too. But it really seems that I can't preview the piece exactly by moving across it, and have Vegas select it.

Help!!
Milt
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...