JVC Pro HD and Adobe Premiere Pro - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #121
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro CS3 capture

I downloaded the trial and i can't get it to capture footage. There is also no presets for HDV 24p.

Does anybody use PP CS3 as their main editing software yet? I know it was released no too long ago.

thanks

mg
Martin Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #122
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Guitar View Post
I downloaded the trial and i can't get it to capture footage. There is also no presets for HDV 24p.

Does anybody use PP CS3 as their main editing software yet? I know it was released no too long ago.

thanks

mg
I think there is no HDV (MPEG-2) support in the Trial.
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #123
Major Player

You probably can download a 15 day trial version of Cineform Aspect to edit HDV.
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #124
Regular Crew

ProHD, DR-HD100 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3?

Hi all!

Great board, great resource!

I am buying Sam Druckerman's HD100 from him and I am so looking forward to trying this camera out! Thanks Sam!

Anyway, I am used to editing in Premiere - It's what I learned on and while I have hated it over time, apparently CS3 is much improved and a really nice application to work with.

My question is, how well does it work with these JVC camera's? I am picking up the focus enhancements DR-HD100 to go with it and I see there are a lot of options/formats to choose from and I am just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for me within an Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 environment.

Thanks in advance!
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #125
Major Player

www.cineform.com

You will most likely have to use Aspect v.5 for PPro to edit in HDV on anything but the fastest computer.

Cheers.
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #126
Regular Crew

I'm *hoping* to get this one job done for a client right away here that will let me build a 4 gig of ram quad core Intel monster that I hope will do well at editing HDV. Currently I am using an X2 3800+ with a gig of ram.. gonna throw another gig at it this weekend and I will have to check out aspect now as well.

I've been doing some work with a local producer here and he swears by Edius. He uses a realtime card at the moment (Canopus card I believe) and he wants to switch to HDV (another JVC fan who currently uses 5 DV500's). He was asking me about real time cards and HDV.. I don't know enough about it to comment really. Any suggestions or ideas in that regard?

Julian
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #127
Major Player

The main thing about HDV is that on some systems you may need an intermediate codec to help with the long GOP splicing. In the case of Ppro it is Cineform. Edius has there own Canopus codec as well as Apple (Pro res) and Avid (DNxHD). Avid Liquid is the only true native MPEG 2 edit system that demuxes m2t onto m2v. Dual cores are cheap now and if you get a good graphics card with Open GL, a drive array on Raid 0, then you can edit in realtime. You mentioned Avid Liquid... that uses background rendering a lot. But on most systems it is the intermediate that is doing most of the work...

As for realtime cards like the Matrox RX2 and Axio, I think they help with output and downconversion of HDV timelines along with multiple streams of HD editing.

I edit on Avid Xpress Media Composer and Liquid. So my knowledge of other editing systems is what I've gleaned from these boards. You might spend some time on the editing forums to get a good view of everything.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #128
Major Player

FCP is perfectly capable of editing HDV natively. You can choose to use ProRes or uncompressed (or many other codecs) as the render codec in an open timeline but you can actually cut native if you wish and if the machine is fast enough. Edius captures mpeg but all renders are to the HQ codec. Liquid works well natively and with an uncompressed render codec. Avid Xpress Pro, MC and Symph only support HDV1 at 30fps and that support is very weak indeed with far less efficient use of processor power compared to a similar spec machine running Edius, Liquid or FCP. The same is true for Avid's HDV2 support on the traditional machines, so most user prefer to transcode to the appropriate DNx flavour for ease of use. Many Avid editors are quick to dismiss mpeg for native acquisition and editing because they haven't seen what the competition can do.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #129
Regular Crew

I use Premiere Pro CS2 and edit HDV natively. I have used cineform, which is good and I reccommend it, for it is a great codec with many uses even beyond premiere pro. I have used FCP, and Avid. I think premiere is better than them all. I love the ability of the production studio to move around photoshop, after effects, audition, etc, quickly and seamlessly and I hear it's even better in CS3.

I just finished a 20 minute piece for a large coffee company, and the only issue I had with HDV was that when the project would load it would take a long time, like 10 minutes to complete loading. After that it worked great. When I first edited HDV, with a friend's JVC I had sync issues, but I think that was a camera problem as he started getting issues in FCP with it. But after I bought my own HD100, I have been able to capture and edit with no issues.

Canopus and Matrox both make good systems, but I have found that with the effects I use, money is better spent on hardware--storage, ram, processor and video card.
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #130
Regular Crew

Boy, looking at the adobe user forums and other places, it looks like CS3 doesn't even support 24p out of the box. That is insane. So do I want to buy that (upgrade for me at least) and then cineform.. not at all. Makes no sense to me that it isn't supported.

Time to look at other options I think.

My goodness, what NLE's support JVC's 24p out of the box?

Julian
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #131
Major Player

FCP definitely. I believe Liquid and Edius also now support it officially. Can anyone confirm?
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson View Post
FCP definitely. I believe Liquid and Edius also now support it officially. Can anyone confirm?
Yes Liquid and GV Edius have 720/24p presets.
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #133
Trustee

Stopped using premier after more than 10 years. Using Edius on our facility's 5 edit suites. Editing is stable. Presets for 24P are available. I have HD100 and have edited a theatre projected material at 720P using WMV via procoder.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #134
Regular Crew

I shot and edited a music video in HDV24p native on premiere pro cs2. No problems. Download the presets:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

tup
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #135
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post
I shot and edited a music video in HDV24p native on premiere pro cs2. No problems. Download the presets:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

tup
Can you use these presets in CS3 I wonder?

I called Adobe today and what a nightmare that was. The guy told me that 24P is old and no longer supported. After I explained to him that he didn't know what he was talking about, he agreed it probably would be supported in an update "later on" but told me there was no-one there that I could talk to who would know anything about it. Mind boggling. I want to get into After Effects later on and thought it would be nice to stick with a product I already know (Premiere) but what's the point really?

A local producer I work with at times extols the virtues of Edius 4 and told me I should go with that. I think I am going to have to check it all out a bit more and maybe I will go that route.

Crazy isn't it?

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite