Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 139 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2071
Trustee

Carl,

I have owned the GL2 and use the Pany GS400 at work. Both are really good cams. However, my personal cam now is the Pany DVC30. There is a lot of imformation on all three cams on this forum as well as at camcorderinfo.com. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. It might just come down to which one feels right in your hands.

Regards,

Mark
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM   #2072
Regular Crew

Gl2 & Gs400....

No, I don't want to start a "war" of which one is better. What is going to be difficult for me is of the camcorders I was initially interested in NONE of them are available where I live. This is really irritating with the GL2 and GS400 (my two top choices). I'm hoping I can work out something with a mail order/internet supplier to grant me a right to exchange my 1st pick (whichever that is) for my 2nd choice without incurring a re-stocking fee. At least it's comforting to know either should work with my Adobe Premiere which I have grown reasonably comfortable with.

Thanks again for the help.

Carl
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2073
Regular Crew

Premiere should be abble to work with footage shot wiith any mini-DV camcorder, BUT, there are a few known issues with capturing for example. For one, Canon XL-1 users like me used to have their audio go out of sync with the video when capturing with Pemiere 6.5, (not sure about Pro). In any case I used Scenalyzer Live when I had this problem two yeras ago to capture mini-DV footage, and also to make capturing two seperate audio channels simultaneously possible which Premiere Pro 1.5 still cannot do. At this point I would never capture without Scenalyzer Live for myriad reasons.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM   #2074
Regular Crew

Interesting...I hadn't run into that when capturing from my now defunct Sony TRV340. Guess time will tell with my new camcorder. Thanks for the tip - I will definitely keep it in mind.

Carl
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:54 PM   #2075
Major Player

avid

Avid also works with dvcproHD on the pc platform, as well as I believe Canopus. Good luck, let us know if you find anything out.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:56 PM   #2076
Major Player

it uses the cineform intermediate codec. But it does not allow as good acceleration as Aspect HD. But it does work.
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #2077
Regular Crew

Audio hardware controllers use MIDI to control the audio program. AFAIK *only* Vegas allows MIDI control.

However, recently I found a free program that can convert incoming MIDI signals into keystrokes (incl. Ctrl, alt, etc.). AFAIK it's for windows only. I downloaded it the other day, but have not yet installed it, though I should since I have a Roland SI-24 control surface, and using it's transport controls for controlling Premiere, etc. would definitely com in handy.

Well, actually it is nag-ware. IOW it's free, but there is a registration reminder upon startup, very much like WinZip. If you like it and want to get rid of the nag screen, then it's 29 Euros to register.

Here is the link (take a look at the examples page and you'll notice that controlling Premiere is in the examples)

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

I'd love to know how it works out for you as I have not yet installed it and tried it out...

Alex F
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #2078
Regular Crew

Capture File Size Control?

Is there a way to set up Premiere Pro such that when I capture video it automatically breaks down the file into smaller segments? For example, when I capture an hour long DV video with Avid Xpress Pro it will automatically break that capture down into ~6 2Gig files. Within Avid it all looks like one large file. The reason for this is the file size limit for archiving, and DVD size.

If I want to backup my captures with Avid to DVD, I can burn the clips to about 3 DVDs with each one having 2 of the 2Gig files. I don't have to burn the DVD to UDF format, since the file size is just under the limit (if files are just over I think 2.1 or 2.2 gigs, you cannot burn them to a *data* DVD for archiving unless you format the disk w/ the UDF file system).

As it is right now, I have a 12+Gig video capture file. I think that currently the only way that I can burn it to DVD for backup purposes is to rar up the file into multiple rar files, each with segment sizes 2Gig or less.

I'd like to avoid that from the get-go if possible.

Thanks,

Alex F
Old December 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #2079
Trustee

If you turn on scene detection in Premiere Pro during capture, a new video clip will be created for each scene. Other than that, there is no way to split clips in Premiere Pro.

If you have Premiere Pro 1.5, there is the Project Trimmer that can reduce a project's size to just the portions of the clips that were used. It can also create an off lined project file, which you could use to recapture the footage from the original tapes should you ever need to access the project again.
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #2080
Regular Crew

OK. I guess I will have to rar up the files in order to archive them to disk. I will also make an offlined project file as well and save that too.

Thanks.

Alex F
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #2081
Regular Crew

Weird little dots!!

I am currently working in post in Premiere Pro 1.5 with a project, and first I noticed small orange dots occuring all over an image, in random places, differently placed in every frame. I thought the program had gone bonkers over some filters or whatever so I turned them all off to see, and the dots werer gone... or so I thought... I stepped a few frames and there they were again!

I recently updated my Geforce 7800 gtx to the latest official Nvidia drivers, could that be it? Anyone else had similar problems?
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #2082
Trustee

Sure, you're welcome!
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #2083
Major Player

i foudn a work around...your search should have found it: here it is:

in premiere 1.5 u can capture both, but wichever timeline u capture through, be it 60i or 24 one, the other footage will be poo pooed up.

example(premiere 1.5)
24timeline: capturing 24 footage is fine, but when captureing 60i footage on the 24 timeline it wants to render the footage after u captured it(wich is normal). But after u render the footage its very choppy and just not watchable. The same thing goes if u do it the other way.

Now, the reason you put CC(color correction is so when u render the footage it comes out fine). I"ve tested this to death, if u dont add slight CC or adjusting brightness, etc the footage will be choppy. I know its wierd but thats what it does. So the only way that i know how to get the footage proper is to add CC.

I'm sure the next verision of Premiere will have support for both on sametimeline, at this point this works for me and i'm sharing :D

i hope that helps
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #2084
Regular Crew

HAha, never mind =) I fixed it... apparently I needed a restart for some reason... don't really know what on Earth went on :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Rylander
I am currently working in post in Premiere Pro 1.5 with a project, and first I noticed small orange dots occuring all over an image, in random places, differently placed in every frame. I thought the program had gone bonkers over some filters or whatever so I turned them all off to see, and the dots werer gone... or so I thought... I stepped a few frames and there they were again!

I recently updated my Geforce 7800 gtx to the latest official Nvidia drivers, could that be it? Anyone else had similar problems?
Old December 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2085
New Boot

Premiere 6.0 editing question: quarter screen

I'm trying to put 4 clips on a screen. I've got each clip set to 50% and in the four corners of the screen but they overlap slightly.

This is not a problem when all four are up there at the same time but I'm flashing the four clips on at different times and before all 4 are up, you can see that they don't line up exactly.

I've tried to move the clips further to the corners by "1" in the motion editing window, but then it leaves a gap between clips. I need an exact alignment of all corners of each clip in the middle of the screen.

Can anybody help?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite