Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 131 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #1951
Trustee

It seem like Josh don't understand why NLE softwares makers dont't integrate this feature directly in their software. I don't understand either.
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #1952
Major Player

getting film look on premiere

i know that it is possible to get kind of film look on final cut pro by creating two tracks and then set ones opacity to 50% and then put deinterlace filters on both of them. But how can i do that in premiere? I cant find any filter where u can select either lower or upper field first?
Old November 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1953
Major Player

XL2 Premier Pro 1.5 "Fields" Setting at 30p

Someone please clarify this for me, when importing 30p footage shot on a Canon XL2 does the Fields setting in Premier Pro setup as No Fields (Progressive) or does it remain at Lower Fields First (Default).

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1954
Major Player

Softening a hard cut

Sometimes a hard cut works and sometimes, when you want a hard cut it just too abrupt.
What technique(s) do you use to correct this so it flows better from scene to scene?

Thanks,
Bill
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1955
Regular Crew

In my experience, during the times that hard cuts seem to be much too jarring, it's less of an issue with respect to the two individual shots than it is to the rhythm of the edit, the expectations of the viewer/editor while watching, the audio underneath it all and the emotional tones of the two scenes. Another, albeit slightly less important, aspect (at least to me) could be moving from a darker scene to a more brightly lit scene -- something that is a little bit jarring physically on the eyes.

Some things you could try would be to bring up a little bit of the audio from the second scene, perhaps the background noise if it's set in a restaurant for example, over the tail end of the first scene so when the visual changes, the aural setting is already in place. Another trick is to let the last shot of the first scene hold just that tiny moment longer before the hard cut so the viewer has fully taken in the shot and is ready for the hard cut to the second scene.

Just a couple of suggestions. Worse comes to worse, you can always fade between scenes which doesn't usually look out of place unless you do it a lot.

mg
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1956
Major Player

Matthew,

Thank you for some great advice.
Being a DP I do not edit much, this is a group of jib shots strung together for a demonstration clip. I am not using the audio from the clips; I am using music in place of it. I did notice that the music helped most of the cuts, now I know why. I will try your other suggestions on the remaining clips. One advantage I do have is there is no particular order I have to show them in so I could mix and match as well.

Thank again,
Bill
Old November 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1957
Regular Crew

When you registered Premiere Pro 1.5 with Adobe, you should have had the option to download the Magic Bullet plugins. If you did not register, I would reccomend doing so ASAP
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1958
Major Player

I ended up reloading premiere, and the auto-save files worked, im glad they did.
Old November 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #1959
Regular Crew

ripple Delete

Does anyone know if it's possible to ripple delete all the dead space on a timeline?

And for that matter, does anyone know if you can universally apply a transition to all clips? Like if I wanted to put a cross fade on every clip in the timeline?

Thanks again,

Rick
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #1960
Regular Crew

i received and captured footage from a sony camera, and oddly enough, the footage exhibited the same glitches. so now i'm even more confused. again, the glitches are seen during playback of the captured file and not during capturing, which i find odd because the signal i monitor is from the capture card, and not the deck, so i assume that the signal i see should be what the capture card is capturing. one guy in the canopus forum talked about firmware update- can you do this with dv decks? thanks.
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #1961
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams

If you have to go back and adjust clips your screwed if there is not enough video left either side of the clip.
(At least as of Pro 1.5...) There is an option to automatically add handles of xxx frames to clips. Nonetheless I always leave lil handles anyway until I know what I'm doing with a clip :)
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1962
Major Player

Project Trimming

In Project Manager, there is an 'Exclude Unused Clips' option. If checked it will dump clips that were "unused". However the online help doesn't mention what classifies as a clip that is (not) in use. Does anyone have a better definition? For ex, if it's not on a timeline it gets junked?

Also, has anyone opened a trimmed project and discovered that the sound for some random clip has been rerendered into a continuous half-second loop? It's not hard to recapture the clip and I don't complain when it just handled 300+ avi files with no other problem, but it is a curiousity.
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1963
Major Player

Erg. I don't like replying when I don't really know the answer but I think there is a 'snap' feature in the timeline that can pull everything to the left. Check out the little magnet icon in the upper left of a Timeline window, I've never used it.

For the "apply an all-clip effect"... the first thing that comes to mind is to assemble all your clips in a sequence. Load that sequence into an empty sequence, and apply your effect to the prior sequence.
**Edit, I misunderstood the question, sorry, I don't know how to do what you are trying.
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1964
Major Player

Ripple delete does just what you know it to do: Tightens the content to the right of the edit bar to occupy the spot where the deletin' is going on.

Dead space? Depends on what is in the tracks above. Lock those tracks to have them unaffected by the ripple delete, and everything to the right of the edit will jump left.

As for a default transition for every clip, you can do this with stills when you "automate to timeline".

Same for clips if they pre-exist in a bin perfectly trimmed. But that's rare. As you assemble edit and get the clips in the timeline nicely edited, go back to the start and assign a simple F10 or F9 key in keyboard shortcuts for "default transition"

Then when you start from home, alternate between the "page down" key and your new shortcut key and you can add about 1,421 transitions in approx. a minute using this technique. Be sure your target track is selected...
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1965
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help guys, that saved me about 8 hours of work.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite