Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 124 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #1846
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Step
However, I'm editing the footage in 720x480 and I need to export the video to 360x240.
that tells us that you aren't using square pixels, which is what computer monitors use... you should be exporting at 320x240(half of 640x480)... some apps may want you to select square pixels manually.

if your final picture size in flash is 320x240, do some experimenting and see if the flash quality is better when you start off with the full-sized frame of 720x480, because you'll be giving the flash encoder more picture info to work with... if for some bastard reason the flash encoder can't handle deinterlacing and resizing, try exporting a full-frame, square-pixel avi(640x480).

after affects has xlnt quality, but you have to really work hard to learn how to use it.

and of course ALWAYS use two-pass encoding, and vbr if possible.
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #1847
New Boot

It could be the fact that camera head has shifted it's position during day three. (Also, one should unfortunately never use the cleaning tape before tapeclog problems arise since they actually "grind" the heads.)

If you record something again, just as a test, are the results the same in the Jvc deck (bad)? If so, I would make a digital backup copy of the day 3 material (fw from the XL2 to the jvc deck), and send the camera in for a check up. Remember to make the copy BEFORE you send it in, if you're unlucky your "malfunctioning" XL2 could be the only player that can actually play the tape correctly.

We (I'm working parttime as a reseller) have unfortunately seen this problem before with both XL1's and XL2's. And a customer made the misstake in repairing the cam BEFORE making backups, rendering about 20 important tapes useless.

/Max
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #1848
Regular Crew

Mine is model STR-DE525. I believe it's an older model - my dad gave me his when my old JVC amp gave up the ghost. One day I'd like to hook it up to see how it works with my sound blaster, but I use my logitech Z-5500 5.1 system for my initial mix. I like to listen to my mixes on different systems, including a normal stereo and just an ancient mono TV to hear what it sounds like. I notice that Douglas Spotted Eagle recomends doing just that in his "Vegas 5 Editing Workshop" book.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #1849
Tourist

"Assert Failure" message?

When I open Premiere 6.5, I get an Assert Failure message. It says:
Failure: prtSegment->inListPos=>
File: c:\work\rockford\Wind\c\Cutlist.c
Line: 176

Does anyone know what this is about? What do I need to do?
Thanks!
Tricia
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #1850
New Boot

This is a debugging statement put in the program by one of the developers. Do you get this message when you start up Premiere or after you try to open a project file?
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1851
Regular Crew

Best Way to Get a DVD VOB File into an AVI that PPro can edit?

Best Way to Get a DVD VOB File into an AVI that PPro can edit? I have nero recode, but that only goes to .mp4. Then I have QT Pro that goes from mp4 to avi (its running now, very slow). Isn't there a better way? Thanks! is River Past Video Cleaner PRo something better to use? Suggestions needed...thanks!
jigs

update, tried River Past, converted VOB to WMV using a specific profile. Tried to edit in PPRO and export the movie using the same profile in Adobe Encoder, but I don't think they are the same across programs. Frustrating that Endoder. I just need settings to play the result full screen as WMV and look halfway decent. I am not concerned with all of those audiences! I just have one: file played off CD inside powerpoint. Arg....
Friday.
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #1852
Regular Crew

This works for me!!

The VOB file is just an MPEG2 file so try copying one of the the VOB files from the DVD to your hard disk and renaming it with an .MPG extension. Then go to your PPro project an import the MPG file into a bin and drop it onto the timeline. It should play fine- you can then make your cuts and export the timeline as an AVI or other format in the normal way.
This works fine with 6.5, but as MPEG2 doesn't store every frame, it may be difficult to do frame-accurate stuff. You may need to try all the VOB files as I haven't worked out a way of deciphering which VOB file relates to which chapter on the DVD - Anyone?
Hope this helps!
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #1853
Regular Crew

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...videogetb.html

Follow this guide. It makes it so you can edit accurately with mpeg2 footage using avisynth.
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #1854
Regular Crew

Upgrade to Pro?

I currently run Prem 6.5 with a DVStorm2 card on a dedicated editing PC for corporate and show work. It works very well and does most things I use in realtime - essential for workflow. I use After Effects and Photoshop as well, so the video preview plugins for the card are really useful. So my question(!), What extra features will Pro give me that will make upgrading worthwhile?
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #1855
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Llewellyn
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...videogetb.html

Follow this guide. It makes it so you can edit accurately with mpeg2 footage using avisynth.

Follow the guide? Sure, give me a week to get thru the install...(that had to be the most complex one ever)...anyway, this is like following the yellow brick road! Seriously, I appreciate that but I am looking for something that can convert a vob into an editable clip in less than a two-week learning curve. All that to get around lousy directshow? wow. anyway, it's all on my list of things to learn before i die.
:) jigs
Friday.
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #1856
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
The VOB file is just an MPEG2 file so try copying one of the the VOB files from the DVD to your hard disk and renaming it with an .MPG extension. Then go to your PPro project an import the MPG file into a bin and drop it onto the timeline. It should play fine- you can then make your cuts and export the timeline as an AVI or other format in the normal way.
This works fine with 6.5, but as MPEG2 doesn't store every frame, it may be difficult to do frame-accurate stuff. You may need to try all the VOB files as I haven't worked out a way of deciphering which VOB file relates to which chapter on the DVD - Anyone?
Hope this helps!
i know which vob i need (i just play each one in MS player), and its the onlyclip, and this sounds simple...giving it a try now! Thanks!!!!
jigs
Friday.
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #1857
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy Gaton
i know which vob i need (i just play each one in MS player), and its the onlyclip, and this sounds simple...giving it a try now! Thanks!!!!
jigs
well, I just did that and while it's a nifty trick, the audio track is dead. Fortunatly i saved one my previous attempts using River Past (VOB to WMV) and subbed that audio track (this is just a 4 minute music video). While the source is great in PPro, anything that comes out of Adobe Media Encoder is crap. I can't figure out any optimal settings and there are thousands of variations. So I guess learning Avisynth might be faster then trying all of these....
jigs
Friday.
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #1858
Tourist

After

It pops up when I try to open a project file. Also, since it's been popping up, there are times when after I render, the program will just close as I'm watching what I've rendered.
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #1859
Trustee

Graham,

I have been a 6.5 and Matrox RT2500 user for some time now and likewise looked at upgrading to Pro. I downloaded the demo and used it for a couple of days and although I liked it, I determined that 6.5, After Effects and Vixen for color correction does 99% of what I need to do very effectively. So for me the upgrade didn't make sense. At some point I will upgrade when I move up to shooting DVCPRO 50 but thats at least 2 years away. I would suggest trying the PRO demo.

Regards,

Mark
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1860
New Boot

From the file name in the error message it appears to be encountering the error condition when reading the cut list.

What version are you using? Click the About command in Premiere and you should see a release number.

You can try to reset the Premiere Preferences by holding the Ctrl and Shift keys when launching Premiere. Then create a new project and see if this project has any problems. If this works fine, then you can try to export your cutlist from the problem project and import it into your new project. I use Premiere Pro so 'm not sure the way this was done in Premiere (maybe it’s the same way).

Have you posted this problem on the Adobe support website?

Have you tried any of the earlier versions of this project. Premiere saves copies of the project file. Look in the directory of this project and under the Premiere folder, you will see a folder named Premiere Auto-Save. Open that and you should see previous versions. Open some of the earlier files and see if they also had the problem. If not, find the latest version that worked fine and start editing off that one. But first save a new copy of that version.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite