Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2005, 05:04 AM   #451
New Boot

25p PAL video acquisition

Sorry for the stupid question,
but never worked before with progressive video.
Also XL2 manual is not very clear and detailed.

Working in After Effects and Premiere Pro what I have to check in the interpret footage window? Lower/upper field or no fields?
The same for rendering.

TIA
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:52 AM   #452
Wrangler

Peter,

Thanks for the quick heads up. I just did a VERY quick read of the READ ME and installed to get a quick glance at it before going off to work. At first blush, it does look to be strictly an HDV update without other bug fixes...there's still not even an XL2 preset in the Capture Options dialog and the 24p help doesn't seem to be updated.

I hope that it turns out there are some fixes under the hood, but for now it appears that most of the chatter on this update will end up being over in the HDV Editing Solutions message board, where they're already getting fired up:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=1.5.1

I'll check the Adobe forums over the next couple of days and see what tidbits other than purely HDV issues show up.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Interesting. I'll give it a try.

I'm working in 24p because I was curious about the differences in the way the image is percieved at 24p vs. 30i, since I've never done any work in progressive before. It's a short project that doesn't contribute much to the class grade, so I figured I'd experiment.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM   #454
Regular Crew

If the source video is non-interlaced (progressive) than you have to select "no fields." Not a stupid question at all, it took me a while to get all this stuff down. :]

KiN
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM   #455
Wrangler

There are plug-ins available for this, try a google search and a few should appear.

You can create it your self by creating static titles with 1 letter at a time, placing them into the timeline at about 5 frames each in duration, then adding the audio effect - I've done it that way before.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM   #456
New Boot

Thanks Ed,

I found some sounds for this at findsounds.com and until I get a plug in for this, I will do what you have suggested. Do you know of a font that would look like an authentic old manual typewriter.

I love this forum. What a great resource.

Richard
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM   #457
Major Player

Ed's right ... to do this inexpensively, the manual method can be used.
The definitive answer to your question falls into the after effects zone. Many cool text in and out effects are part of the latest version.
As for the old typewriter font, select a serif font the has the lower case g below the baseline. "typist" is one ttf font that comes to mind. If you can find the latest "ART PROJECTS" magazine, the last issue comes with a cd containing over 2000 free fonts.
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM   #458
Wrangler

Hi Richard,

Probably Courier (I think I spelt that right??) But I guess its down to personal preferences....

One thing I forgot to mention is that it can be quite long winded going the manual way, if you have a lot of text! Anyway give it a try.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM   #459
New Boot

The problem actually for me is to understand correctly what instruction manual says because it's specified "records in 25fps progressive mode and outputs signals converted into 50 fps interlace".
According to manual it seems in AE and Premiere I have to acquire on interlaced mode also when recording in progressive. Am I correct?

Thanks
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #460
Major Player

Why does Adobe Premiere pro footage looks worse than Media 100 footage?

The thing is, I've worked on a media 100 mac based workstation back in Film school, and there where options like 20 kb offline for draft, 100 and even 300 kb for online- The picture of my capture dv footage looked incredibly better on 300 kb - Adobe premiere doesn't have that option, and the truth is thesame footage is noticeably inferior in Premiere compared to media 100's capture. Anyone know how to achieve similar results on Premiere?

One thing I really don't understand is: If firewire capture is lossless, how can this happen?
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #461
Regular Crew

I'm not a 100% sure about this, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can clear this up.

As far as I know, progressive frames are captured as a full frame split into 2 fields at the same time, unlike interlaced where there's a time difference between the fields. I think that's what your manual is trying to explain.

If you load up After Effects and select "Off" in the "Separate Fields" box for your progressive footage, then it automatically displays both fields that forms a progressive frame. If you're still seeing interlaced lines, then we're both going to have to wait for someone who knows more about this to clarify. :/

Hope I'm making sense.

KiN
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM   #462
Inner Circle

Sergio, you need to view the footage on a television or NTSC monitor. Editing programs may be displaying the video at a lower quality on your computer monitor.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM   #463
New Boot

Pete, thanks for the reply! I looked at the source files and I dont think that I double linked them. Here is a list of what I have done, and the bad things that are happening from it :D

1. Imported old video
2. Split audio/video
3. Imported new pictures that havent been used before and put them over the old ones that are not wanted

Bad Things:
1. When I export the movie it skips on some frames, like when it is zooming in on a picture that I havent edited, it is not smooth, it kind of "catches" or skips a few frames

Well, that is the big thing, I just dont know how to fix it! Thanks so much for your patience and help!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM   #464
Major Player

If you want to avoid problems.. Get the Matrox RTX.100 card and a system by a certified builder.. That's what I did for my second RT.X100 system and it's a world of difference..

http://www.matrox.com/video/buy/rtx100xtremepro/pc_manufact_us.cfm
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:45 PM   #465
Wrangler

Hmmmmm. Not sure. Is it possible for you to take screen shots that show your project window, the settings viewer, and the sequence in question, plus a couple of seconds of exported video showing the "catch?" That might help us understand what's happening.

If you don't have a web site, you're welcome to email the screenshot and clip to me and I'll post 'em on my site for folks to analyze. I think my server will handle up to 3 or 4MB total file size attachments.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite