Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #541
Major Player

I believe all DVD-Video are encoded in MPEG2.

I think what happened to Jay is that his DVD player is able to play video files encoded with WM9 burned on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. It should also be able to play MP3 files and photos.
Maybe Jay could have a look to his DVD player user's manual and tell us ?
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #542
Regular Crew

I'm not sure where the manual is. It just played the format though... that is, unless I confused myself as to the format recorded in. I know that when encoded mpeg2 it looks great. I am pretty sure the first time setting was windows media.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #543
New Boot

Rip Video

Yeah, I know with a title like that some of you will think illegal, but no! Hah! Acutally I just want to ask a simple questions. I have a project that a former employer did that is now dumped on me :( It is a slideshow with music and what not put onto a DVD, but he doenst have the source files and I need to edit it. What would be the best software to pull that into Premier and edit it? Cool, thanks
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #544
Regular Crew

Mixing clips and pic in PP 1.5

I'm having a problem mixing video clips and still photos in Premiere 1.5. The problem is easier to see than to describe, so I put the pictures and problem up on a web page here: http://www.sierratel.com/iisaw/temp/problem.htm

I'd appreciate any advice!
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #545
Wrangler

Hi Eric,

Gotta go to work soon, so the tests I just did are very quick and incomplete...may not be quite right. But it looks like it depends on how you export.

Export>>Movie... using standard narrow or widescreen setting will preserve the aspect ratio of the actual moving image that you want to export and automatically letterbox or pillarbox.

Export>>Movie... to other aspect ratios such as square (or) Export>>Adobe Media Encoder... to WMV (didn't have time to try *.mpg) will pre-squish or pre-stretch your pixels so they don't fit into a different aspect ratio nicely. IMHO, Adobe Media Encoder is incredibly NOT intuitive to use. Buried within the PRE-ENCODING area are options for scaling and cropping, and in the AUDIENCES area are options for setting aspect ratio and pixel dimensions. In the time I had, I could not make those work to get the result you want; doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done, though. Don't know yet.

I'm also very curious about this and will fiddle with it more over the weekend. Aspect ratios are a common source of questions, and I for one didn't realize that staying with AVI export (Export>>Movie...) would automatically letterbox or pillarbox for you...if that actually is true. Seemed to work this morning.

The short answer if you are on a deadline is to do all your work in a 16:9 project, then import the project into a 4:3 project and it will be automatically letterboxed. That'll definitely work, but if you have the time to mess with this over the weekend, let us know what your export settings were and we'll pick this up when the Beer Light is lit for the weekend! ;-)
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #546
Major Player

Hi Eric,

I don't understand why you want to letterbox for your DVD. You can burn a 16:9 DVD and the DVD players can letterbox by themselves to fit in 4:3. Furthermore, for those who have a 16:9 TV, they will have a real 16:9 with good resolution.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #547
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys,

Pete,

I will try importing the 16:9 project into a 4:3 project. I'm not on a tight deadline right now, so I'd eventually like to find a way to do this in one pass.

Ben,

I'm trying to letterbox it because when I export it as a widescreen AVI it plays back squashed into 4:3. It may be a problem with both Realplayer and my DVD burner... but the only solution I found was to force it to letterbox myself. I have not yet tried to burn a DVD directly from Premiere but that's my next step.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #548
Regular Crew

Update

Burning a DVD directly from Premiere works fine but I still can't export the movie as a DV AVI and get the proper aspect ratio... or maybe it <I>is</I> the proper aspect ratio and Realplayer squeezes it to 4:3... but I used Realplayer to play back the DVD and that was fine.

Is there any way to set up a menu system when burning a DVD? Or is it one clip, one disc?

Thanks.
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #549
Major Player

No, you can not put a menu if you create the DVD from Premiere. You would have to use a soft like Encore.

If you export your movie as an AVI, chances are that the aspect ratio will not be guessed right by Realplayer or even Windows Media Player.
But you don't care because for a DVD you export to MPEG2 and there the DVD player will guess right.
I guess you'll see it when you burn a DVD from Premiere.
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #550
RED Code Chef

For your information Sony Vegas 5 does support external control
surfaces, however I don't recall from memory if it supports your
exact device (or standard), but that shouldn't be too hard to find
out at http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #551
Wrangler

Hi Chase,

We by no means condone illegal copying. If you can get hold of the source files you will get much better picture and sound.

You can do it 3 ways:

1. Buy the Main Concept VOB file importer plugin. This means that you can directly edit the VOB file in the timeline

2. Get a DVD ripper (Many of these around the internet)

3. Hook your DVD player to a camcorder that has analogue in. Or if you are running Premiere with an analogue capture card, you can capture it in that way.

This topic has appeared many times before, please try our search^

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #552
RED Code Chef

Chase: if you had searched on "DVD Rip" you would have found
the following threads on the FIRST page of results:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14592
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=37422
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38090
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=37463
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35225
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=33767

You can also limit the search to just the Premiere forum to get
the threads specifically asked in regards to Premiere.

Old March 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #553
RED Code Chef

You can't put Windows Media on a DVD in the sense that a regular
DVD player would know what to do with it. If you feed that into
a DVD authoring application it will just re-encode it into MPEG-2.

All video on DVD is MPEG-2 (it can also be MPEG-1, but I've never
seen that).

However, you can also add additional files to your DVD (if your
applications support that), like a DVD-ROM track. So you could
include your movie as a Windows Media or QuickTime movie for
example.

Of course you would need a computer with DVD drive and the
correct playback software to play those files from the disc.

But you can have it together with a DVD-Video track that any
regular DVD player can use. This is what they had done with one
of the Terminator 2 DVD versions. The movie was in general
MPEG-2 DVD-Video format available and in HD in the Windows
Media HD format (with DRM protection).

Old March 19th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #554
Regular Crew

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...ech/index.html

Great tutorials for getting source video off of a DVD. Pretty basic. I just read these over before doing a similar project myself. Worked great.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #555
Tourist

Unable to download 3rd audio channel from XL1 into Premiere

Howdy. After years of using Matrox I recently got a new Windows (XP) system and got rid of it. I have been using the Capture function in Premiere 6.5 without problems until now... I just recorded a seminar using the XLR attachment on my Canon XL1 to record the speaker on a wireless mic. The tape contains all the audio elements from the camera mic on channels one and two as well as the wireless on channel three.

The problem is...I cannot seem to capture channel three. All the menue settings are correct for this output. Matrox captured an extra wav file for this set up as well as the avi file (linked video and audio) when I used it in the past.

Is it even possible to capture all four audio channels in Premiere 6.5 through the firewire?

If it isn't, does anyone have a solution to capture the third channel?

Thanks,
Jim
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite