Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #496
Regular Crew

Free tutorials at Wrigley Video

Check out the free tutorial downloads at Wrigley Video.
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #497
Major Player

If you were using just Premiere I would go with dual route.. I have two RTX.100 systems with single P4's and they work great for what I am doing..

If I did a lot of AE stuff, I would opt for dual. However since the Matrox takes some load a single p4 works slick..

P4 3.6
2GB RAM
(2) 250GB SATA Drives
(1) 80GB IDE System Drive
Asus P4C800-E Mobo
Matrox P650 Video

I haven't had one issue..
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #498
Regular Crew

Smooth QuickTime Output

I have been using PPro 1.5 for about a year now and I have not been satisfied with my quicktime export. Can someone give me some pointers on this?

I can get very smooth looking WMV files that are small in file size, but with quicktime, I haven't been able to produce something that I am happy with. The file size is much bigger in comaprison and there are many artifacts in the movie.

What codecs should I look at?

Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #499
Trustee

The Apple QuickTime codec isn't very good, as you discovered. You will need to purchase a third-party QuickTime codec like Sorenson 3 Pro (http://www.sorenson.com/solutions/prod/sv3_win.php) to get similiar quality to Windows Media/RealMedia video. The Sorenson 3 basic codec is included with Premiere Pro, but it just isn't as good as the Sorenson Pro version.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #500
Trustee

If you would like to see the output of the Sorenson 3 Pro codec for QuickTime files, you can download a trial of Sorenson's Squeeze 4 Compression Suite at http://www.sorenson.com/misc/free_trial.php.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #501
Regular Crew

Thanks Christopher. I have tried the Sorenson codec before. I will review my settings before purchasing the pro version. Too bad an upgrade is needed...
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #502
Regular Crew

...the sorenson codec that came with PPro still didn't look as good as my WMV files.
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #503
Contributor

Did you try MPEG4?
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #504
Regular Crew

I have no troubles with MPEG 4, but for web viewing and regular Quicktime viewing, the comression artifacts in my Quicktime was not very good and the file was 3 times the size. I thought maybe it was my settings as the WMV versions always look right and the size stay small.
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #505
Regular Crew

I agree, only use a system that can be confirmed by users that it works. The RTX is VERY picky, and it will not work properly if you just make up a system. You basically need to build something around the RTX instead of the other way around.

I had to purchase a completely new system around around the RTX card as my other machine (also new) was deemed incompatible.
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #506
Trustee

the only version of sorenson that is useable costs top $$$... you almost certainly didn't get that with premiere pro... mpeg4 is marginal at best, but there is great hope for h.264, if someone ever creates a software player that will actually play the files.

if you search the recent archives, you'll find the link for the codec zip file test i posted... you'll see that real media and wmv have the best quality, but you could also look at divx or even xvid, if you can deal with the player issues on the distribution end of things.

that said, you should be able to get smooth playback in qt even if the picture quality sucks... make sure that you are manipulating the frame rate correctly.
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #507
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Eanton : I agree, only use a system that can be confirmed by users that it works. The RTX is VERY picky, and it will not work properly if you just make up a system. You basically need to build something around the RTX instead of the other way around.

I had to purchase a completely new system around around the RTX card as my other machine (also new) was deemed incompatible. -->>>

I so second that.. My first RTX.100 system is a pieced together system and doesn't conform to Matrox standards.. A few hangs here and there.. for very small projects it works.

My new system we bought through a certified Matrox Builder for the RTX.100 and it's a class above the other system in reliability and stability..
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #508
Regular Crew

Thanks for you input. At least now I know that's it's not completely a result of my settings. I might invest in the Sorenson Pro sometime. My playback is smooth, it's just the compression that didn't look right.

Dan, I'll look into your Codec tests. That sounds interesting.

Thanks again.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #509
Tourist

XL1s capture problems in premiere

When using Premiere Pro 1.5 and my XL1s through a firewire connection, I cannot use Premiere's capture window, and I get a message saying "Can't Activate Recorder. Try Restting Recorder". I know that my camera is connected to my computer (Windows gives me a message saying that a Canon XL1s camcorder is connected to my system), and Premiere tells me that my camera is "online" when I set up the device control. (Which, according to Premiere, means that Premiere can see and control my camera). Any suggestions?
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #510
Regular Crew

Adobe Plugin Suggestions

Im running adobe premiere but dont have any plugins. Right now Im using it for cutting live concert footage together but am also shooting a fairly intensive documentary which will require alot of color correction to match cameras together when needed. I will also be using it for short films shot on the xl2 where the end effect is the "film look." Just wanted to know if you all had any suggestions on what to start with, what are the "must have" pluggins for premiere? Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite