Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 84 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #1246
Major Player

Exporting Frames in 16:9

Im most likley retarded, but whenever i export a 16:9 frame, and try placing it back into a timline, its in 4:3 format. I make sure all the exporting settings are correct, and the summary concurs with the export settings; its just premiere pro (1.5) is picking the frames to be 4:3 not 16:9. I double check by importing into photoshop, and the frames are in 16:9, like their appose to be. Anyone suggestions???
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #1247
Regular Crew

Dan -

Have you tried just making a menu in Photoshop and opening it in Encore after you've finished it?

It's kind of a way around it, and saves you from uninstalling/reinstalling, unless you need to do something more with it.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #1248
Regular Crew

I made the menu in PS and imported to Encore as a menu. However, to make a modification, while saving the original Encore file, I need to "edit in Photoshop," otherwise I have to create a new file. (Encore will send PS a copy of the file and after making the changes, they are updated in the original.) I'm just going to reinstall Encore and PPro, so they will see Photoshop. The thing is, I think I knew this because when I first got the Collection, someone told me to install After Effects first for the same reason. (It's funny what you remember when it's too late!)

Dan
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #1249
Regular Crew

Just in case someone else does a search for the same problem, here is the solution. After doing a reinstall of Encore without success, I called Adobe. After some discussion, he told me to uninstall Photoshop. I did the unistall and checked the C:\program files\adobe\... for Photoshop to make sure it was gone. I did an install and guess what? It works!

Dan
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #1250
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro1.5 question

I recently boought a Sony Z1 HDV. I start to think about the editing process by using PC.

I always use Vegas 5.0 to edit the footage shot by JVC HD camcoder. Vegas is able to edit and then export mpeg2.ts file which could be exported to D-VHS by other software as long as the data rate closed to 18.3 MB.

Basically, I could do the same to the footage shot by Z1 and I am able to export to D-VHS.

But I want to try Premiere Pro1.5. Importing the footage to the timeline seems to be fine. Then I check the functon of Premiere encoder which is a Mainconcept encoder, I find out that the max data rate is 15 MB. I think the video quality may be worse than that of Vegas. And I don't know whether Premiere can export ts file which is a must if I need to put it back to D-VHS.

If I need to buy other plug-in software to Premiere to achieve what Vegas could do for me, then I will stick to Vegas.

Do you have any suggestions?
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1251
Major Player

Image freezing when exporting to tape (PPro)

I could use some help right about now. I have this 2h concert that I edited for a client in Premiere Pro 1.5. He wanted it mastered back to MiniDV. So I said to myself, piece of cake right? I'll have this done by noon. Meh... 5 hours later I'm that close to jumping out the window.

Here's the problem. When I choose the export to tape option in PPro, it takes control of my DV camera (XL2) and starts transfering footage on it. The sound is fine, the image looks good, but at random places it freezes for a few secs (I'm seeing this in my camera's viewfinder), only to continue recording like if nothing happened. The weird thing is I have Premiere set to stop the recording if frames are dropped. Well it never stopped recording, meaning to Premiere, everything is working fine.

Where do I go from there? Could it be my firewire cable? I've captured tons of footage on this cable without ever having one single glitch. Why now that I go the other way, to tape, would the cable become a problem? Is it the camera? Again, never had problems with that camera. Is it that I need to set the timecode on the XL2 to something else than rec-run? A setting in Premiere? I'm lost.

I don't know if this is normal, but the timecode that shows up on the timeline when exporting is about 1 sec. in advance of what is recording to tape. I don't see this as being a big deal, but maybe it is. I've tried to export to tape 10 times. Every time the freezing happens at different places. It's completely random.

In case it matters, I have an AMD 1.8Mhz system with 512MB DDR*.

Any pointers or troubleshooting steps, even if fairly obvious, will be appreciated. I'm just about to dump this piece of garbage that is Premiere to try Vegas or Avid, so if I learn the problem comes from PPro, it's in the trash.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1252
Trustee

Have you tried playing the tape back to see if it is actuall dropping? Check your capture settings, I am just guessing.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1253
Major Player

Yes I did. The freezing is recorded to tape. As soon as it does this I have to start all over again (and I can't record 2 min. of clean footage, so I'm pretty much at a dead end).

I'll try rendering one big DV file and re-importing it to Premiere, then exporting this directly to tape. Hope that works, although my pinky says it won't.
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #1254
Trustee

There is no lower limit for exporting back to tape. It is the same 25Mbps that is originally recorded to tape. I have no idea how you would export to D-VHS though.
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1255
Inner Circle

Premeire Pro has made a serious error!

Last night, while trying to finish my movie for the DV challenge #2, I ran into several major problems with Premiere Pro 1.5.1.

I’ll start with the most serious error first:

While attempting to change effects settings, and playing same on some audio files in the timeline, the files sounded very weird, almost like electrical noise, and the program would quit. Seven times the program, Premiere Pro, put up an error message saying that, “Premiere Pro has committed a serious error and has to close, we will attempt to save your file.” When I would click this error message off, there would be two or three more about dealing with where it was going to try and save it to and other warnings that it may not work.

Each time I was able to open the project again. I couldn’t see any obvious errors in the saved program, but it is really hard to tell with all the tracks. I finally got the effects control window opened for the files, (Premiere Pro did not want to select the files), and I found that these four little audio files had multiple applications of the same audio effects applied to them. For example, they might have four or five pitch changers added to them and multiples of another effect also. I carefully removed them all, while saving many times and quickly finished my “unfinished movie.” But, at the end the audio was not right, I had given up changing it, so that I would not mess it up any further.

Other problems:

In addition to the problem above, I had a lot of trouble trying to select files. I would click on them in every way possible, and they would not select. I managed to drag over some and got them selected, but often could not do anything with them when they were selected.

Another problem was with the titler. I copied one title, renamed it and dropped in to the time line. But each time I edited or modified it, Premiere would modify both of the titles. A real problem when have all your credits etc., made up already and you loose it all. I thought that I was making some kind of error, so I tried starting with a new title. But, when I would try to bring up a new title through the menu or by hitting F9, it would open up with the info from my previous title already in it! And of course when I modified it, it changed the other two on the time line also! Lost all again! I finally figured out that if I closed and restarted Premiere Pro, I could then open a new title and create it without changing the ones in the timeline. Had to do this twice, after spending about two hour trying to figure it out!

Many times when I made editing cuts etc., the audio files would move, but the key frames in them would remain in their original position. At the end, I had key frames sitting all by themselves in blank parts of the audio track, past the end of my movie! This may be the way they are supposed to perform, staying with the timeline when added there and not in the individual clip, but, I could not even select and delete them! At times I would save and close the project, and then reopen it and find I could select files that I could not before!

All in all, it was a nightmare trying to do pretty basic editing on a movie that was only three minutes long!

If you are wondering about the computer, it was not the problem. It had no trouble keeping up with anything. It is a P4, 3.4GHz, two 250GB hard drives, hyperthreading, multiple processing, with one meg of ram, dual monitors, etc… Anytime I needed to render or encode, it was fast and no problems.

Has anyone else encountered these types of problems? I am going to call Adobe and attempt to find an answer to this, so will post their reply.

Thanks---Mike
Old July 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #1256
Built the VanceCam

While you clearly have tons of processing power, most of the symptoms you describe are consistent with an overloaded CPU. Whether that is being caused by something in Premiere Pro, I don't know. But next time you're running it, as soon as you have trouble selecting an item, immediately go into Windows Task Manager (Cntl-Alt-Del if using XP) and look at Processes and Performance and see if something is using excessive memory or CPU percentage.
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1257
Inner Circle

That's not the case. And if fact I can open other applications like Audition ect., on the other monitor and run all at once. Does not change anything.

It is not the computer, and if it was, it would totally freek when rendering and encoding, and it does not.

Thank--Mike
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #1258
Built the VanceCam

The point was, to check CPU and memory usage, which I guess you had already done. By the way, the fact that you can run a bunch of programs and render with no problem would not necessarily rule out a memory usage problem caused by Premiere.
Just trying to help.
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #1259
Inner Circle

Thanks!

I have been checking the computer, as it's a differant one and I running some tests on it right now. I'm thinking part or all of it may have been those bad audio files, at least on the error message part. I hate to do it but I'm thinking I will load one of the copies where they are still messed up and see what they do. I'll let you know. Just rendered a movie, and it was at 52% useage.

Thanks
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #1260
Trustee

Mike,

You might want to check the FAQ over on the Adobe forums called "Audio Tracks Play with Static and Low Quality in Premiere": http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...59.2@.2cd0628f. It may have some information that could help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite