Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #1141
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Yuen
No. Unfortuntately, that feature was "lost" when Premiere Pro came out and it has yet to return.
What's really wierd, is that the silence in response to zillions of requests for this feature's return has been deafening.
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #1142
Regular Crew

<Good things come to those who wait>

Unless, of course, you're waiting for Godot!
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #1143
Regular Crew

Big Thanks

Thanks guys. With my system not being quite beefy, I think I'll take the safe route and not do anything while the video is capturing. Appreciate all of your guy's time and thoughts. Take care,

Josh
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #1144
Regular Crew

Go here and download "The Font Thing"
http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thi...4-1519711.html

Then insert the CD with the fonts. Have TFT browse for new fonts and install from the CD.

The Font Thing is free and a great little app.

Dan
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #1145
Regular Crew

Hi Bob and company.
Didn't have time to replied. Busy in church, now I'm back. If the 18 month cycle is fairly acurated, then they will have a new buyer. Have tried Vegas and Premier and I like premier better. Will be looking to upgraded after August.
Thank all for your replied.
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #1146
Major Player

Batch Render would be very nice, I don't understand why a feature like that would ever be taken out.

Also I will try to move my in points a little later and out's a little sooner. But it would be nice if it wouldn't go back from my in to create my transition, if it would only go forward from my in point it would be very helpful.

I guess it just doesn't make much sense to my why when I create an in point that premiere would ever use footage before my in point. Thanks for the tip Adam I will just have to get used to doing this, it will just slow me down a little. Some days I have 10-15 real estate videos to edit, each with 15-25 cuts, so that's 150-375 times I have to check the cut, kind of a pain, and time consuming, it would be nice if there was a way to change this, hopefully in new versions to come.

Thanks everyone
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1147
Regular Crew

Sorry it took so long to respond, I didn't get a notification of your response.

The problem is hard to describe. If you look at the timeline, you'll see the the current time indicator. (the clamshell looking thing with the verticle red line)
Now go to the bottom left and zoom all the way in (zoom slider all the way to the right) Now, look at the current time indicator, and you will see a blue line protruding out to the right. Put a clip on the timeline, then in the program monitor click the "go to in point" (Q) icon, and then click the "go to out point" (W) icon. You will see the red line is actually one frame from the end of the clip while the blue line is at the end. If you insert another clip from the source monitor, it will insert at the red line, pushing one frame of the original clip to the end of the new clip.

Now, if you hit the "go to next edit point" (page down) icon, the red line will go to the end of the last frame. When you insert a new clip, it will begin at the end of the original clip.

Since my first post, I figured out I have to hit the "go to next edit point" icon to place the current time indicator at the end of the clip, but, hitting "go to out point" should do the same thing. I don't see a reason for this blue line. After inserting a clip, I often pull the current time indicator bac to the previous clip and play it through the transition to see how it looks. If I play it to the end, there is still that one frame indent that I have to correct by hitting the "go to next edit point."

I think if I play the clip in the timeline, when it gets done, I should be able to insert another clip without doing anything.

I know this is a long and complicated description and you may not be able to follow what I'm trying to say. I would like some help though, and if you are so inclined, please e-mail me and I'll give you my phone number. It would be easier if we were both sitting at the computer to figure this out.

Thanks,
Dan
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #1148
Wrangler

Dan,

I don't edit in Premiere but part of what you are describing sounds like you are zoomed all the way in where your editor is showing you the duration of one video frame (red line to end of blue line). You said that you inserted a clip that pushed one frame of the original to the end of the inserted clip. This makes sense because your red line is at the beginning of the current frame position and you said it was not all the way to the end of the clip. Make sure the red line is at the very end of the clip. The blue line should extend beyond the end of the clip by the duration of one frame of video. In FCP, it shows as a darkened area in the timeline to the right of my current position line.

Re-reading your post, the edit point and the out point are NOT the same thing. Think of the edit points as where your available media starts and ends. Your in and out points are the the markers within that media that you actually want to use. If you place the out point at the same place as the end of the clip then yes, the two commands would take you to the same place. However, you need to have extra media for transitions. For example, you want a simple dissolve between two clips. You would want to start the transition on the out point and have it finish at the in point of the following clip. But, you must have available media(overlap) between the out and in for the transition to take place on. The 28 frames you mentioned maybe a program default for the needed media to use at the default setting for transistions (often times set for 1 sec).

Hope this helps you.

-gb-
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1149
Regular Crew

I understand that the edit point and out point aren't the same thing. When I click on the next edit point repeatedly, it stops at each edit point untill it gets to the end, at which point the red line is to the right of the last frame. If I hit the go to out point, it skips the all edit points, (transitions, chapter markers, etc.) and goes to the end, but not all the way. If I hit go to out point, I have to hit go to previous edit point, then hit go to next edit point, to get the marker to be at the very end. Otherwise I'll have that danged last frame cut and added to the end of the newly inserted clip. BTW: The 28 frames referred to in the first post doesn't always happen. Last night I I kept getting cut at the very last frame.

Say I've got 20 clips on the timeline. If I want to check some of the clips at the beginning of the timeline, then go back to the end to resume inserting clips, I have to hit "go to next edit point" repeatedly until I get to the end. Otherwise, I hit "go to out point", "go to previous edit point", then "go to next edit point", because I can't get from "go to out point" to "go to next edit point." ( I understand what I just wrote only because I wrote it.)

You brought up another pet peave I have about PPro. That "extra 30 frames for transitions." I used to use Ulead's Media Studio Pro, and wherever I cut it, that's where the transition started. I know what I want overlapped. With PPro, if I want the transition to start at a particular frame, I have to go to the right one second (if I want a one-second transition) to start at the correct frame. Otherwise it will add 30 frames prior to the in point for overlapping. This not only takes up my time stepping off 30 frames, but I can't use the very beginning of the clip, nor the very end of the clip and overlap it.

I paid a lot for the Adobe Collection, but I might just go back to Media Studio Pro. It has a better layout, better transitions, and accepts my Cool 3D Suite files without having to render them as .avi first. What I do like about it is the Source, program, and thumbnails monitors play through to the TV I use as my test monitor.

Enough ranting for a while. No matter what program I use, I'll have to put up with their quirks.

Thanks guys,

Dan
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1150
Tourist

Premiere Pro Render

I capture from a XL1s, 16x9, frame movie mode, shutter at 1/60 audio at 32k using two mics, import footage Premiere Pro, project set at 29 dfps, pixel 1.2,
Microsoft DV avi, etc, when I render any color correction the footage gets
fade lines across. Was wondering if this is due to too many changes at one time should say adjust gamma, export then import again also question on exporting: Each time I export footage as Microsoft DV am I losing quality?
I've tried different codecs and none seem to come close to Microsofts DV.
I can zoom in 150% with that codec and get a pretty clear shot, not much pixelation.
By the way, thank you to everyone for a great site.

Rod
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1151
Regular Crew

Could anyone answer my above questions? Thanks
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #1152
Contributor

Compatibility of Canon GL-1 with Premiere Pro 1.5

I'm thinking of upgrading to Premiere Pro 1.5 and using it stand-alone, with firewire port only and no capture card. Although it's not listed on Adobe's compatibility list, I'd like to use my Canon GL-1 for DV input and output. Has anybody tried doing this and had success?

Thanks.

Jim
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1153
Regular Crew

XL2 16:9 export in Premiere Pro

I have tried just about everything. Nothing I can do seems to export the 16:9. It squishes to 4:3 and drives me crazy.

I have tried soo many codecs and nothing seems to work.

Within Premiere there is a Pixel Aspect Ratio which I set at DV/NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2) and I decided to change it back to Square Pixels and manually type in the resolution of the video. It made the video widescreen but with 2 little bars on the top and bottom. Also, I had some animated picture's within my project and because I manually changed the resolution it offset the animation. (It's a car on the ground driving, and it turned into a car flying in the air).

I have searched and searched and most of the topics that are based on this subject are for DVD only. I'm looking for EVERYTHING. Web Video (Quicktime, WMV, DivX, Xvid), DVD Video, Etc. Right now I am mainly trying to get the video on my website.

This is very aggrivating...

Thanks for your time.
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #1154
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Weitz
You're saying that if my original pictures were ~ 72 ppi I should resize them, but if they are around 150 or 300 ppi I shouldn't? Why is that?

No.

What I am saying, is that if you resize an image down to exact NTSC dimensions and resolution: 72ppi, 720x480, then Premiere will not need to render those images. The original images will then be the same exact size as a frame of video.

You have to decide whether that is worth the effort.

You do not want to do this if you have any plans to zoom or pan on your images in Premiere, since you would then want them to be larger than the standard NTSC size.

If you are doing a lot of pictures, and you don't want to wait hours for a timeline of high-res stills to render, then some sort of down-sizing in Photoshop might be worth it. Of course I would never do it one at a time. I'd have to run an automated PS action for that.

Resized or not, pictures are not guarranteed to fill in all the "black" on the frame. As you know, some pictures are taken vertically, and therefore will have more black space on the sides. The "scale clips to project dimensions" option is the best you can do. If you want no black at all in any crcumstance, then you need to zoom in on some of the pictures (like the vertical ones), and therefore want larger pics than 72ppi 720x480.
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #1155
Regular Crew

Playback Issue

I am trying to preview footage from my XL2 (shot in 24 p). I have done this many times on my computer which has the following specs:

Athlon 64 3000
1 gig ram

My brothers computer has:

Athlon XP 2800
512 ram

I am not trying to capture, just playback. It will start the playback then freeze for about 10 seconds, and then catch up, freeze again. Anyone had to trouble shoot something like this before?

Rick
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite