Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #1006
New Boot

What widescreen format are you using? (letter box or squeeze)

Nate
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1007
Wrangler

Hi Nate,

A feature of text within the PPro Title applet called "Outer Stroke" might be what you're asking for. To use it, highlight some text in the Title applet, expand the "Strokes" option, and pick your settings (many to choose from).

Let us know if that isn't what you're looking for.
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #1008
Regular Crew

cross dissolve - video transition

just wondering if anyone has had this issue:

on my timeline, when I drag and drop the cross dissolve video transition, sometimes it allows me to place it betweed two clips, and other times I can only place it on the front or back of the clip. any reason for this?
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1009
Regular Crew

Not enough footage

When the transition does not drop evenly onto both of the clips, it means that one of the clips is not supplying enough footage and needs to be trimmed. That is, the footage at the end can either be used for the transition or for viewing but not both. Premiere makes up for the deficiency by repeating frames.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #1010
New Boot

Here is what I am trying to get:
http://zionfilmworks.com/Pictures/DOTH.jpg

Here is the closest I seem to be able to get in Premiere Pro:
http://zionfilmworks.com/Pictures/DOTH%20PP.jpg
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #1011
Inner Circle

A stupid way is to superimpose your title onto itself. Apply gaussian blur (or a faster one) to the bottom.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1012
Wrangler

Nate,

I tried similar to what Glenn mentioned, except using the Shadow feature, and it does work, as would his technique. But it is even simpler than that.

It is just a matter of playing around with the settings in the Titler and getting familiar with them. I did that for a little while this evening and got what I think are pretty decent results using nothing more than the Shadow feature:

http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

As I note on the web page, the effect is so subtle it doesn't really even show up in IE; you have to view it enlarged in Photoshop or a similar application. Of course, if you wanted it to be less subtle, you could do that. But I wanted to be sure that the smooth, subtle effect you wanted could really be done.

Also, if you want to get fancy, there are plug-ins available that will do moving back-glow, etc. But they cost about $100 each for the various effects.
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #1013
Regular Crew

Of course if you have Photoshop and create your title there you can just apply the "outer glow" blending effect and tweak it to your hearts desire.
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #1014
Regular Crew

Which is "Better"?

I've burnt my sequence onto a DVD by using the Encoding Preset: NTSC 4x3 High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass

(i really don't know what the 7Mb CBR 1 Pass really means)

what exactly is CBR or VBR and 1 Pass vs 2 Pass?

also

when I watch the DVD on the TV, it looks good, however on the LCD laptop I can see some of the pixellation shadows during when there is some action or movement - for instance when someone moves there hand or head somewhat rapidly, I can see a faint sort of "trail" left.

any recommendation as to which setting I should put as my custom preset. the 7Mb VBR 2 Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1 doesn't allow me to record on mine.

What about Progressive 4x3 High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass?
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1015
Regular Crew

Frame Hold

for the life of me i cant figure out how to get one frame to lengthen to where it holds that one frame for mutiple seconds. ive tried to right click the fram and select frame hold and then select hold on...but when i lengthen the frame it hold the frame at the first of the clip where i lengthened it to....does that make sense??....im sure its really easy, but im just getting frustrated. any help would deffinitley be appreciated. thanks so much.
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1016
Major Player

I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but I usually export the frame (File/Export/Frame) as a BMP and insert the still for whatever duration I need. Just cut the main video clip at that point, push out the end, insert your still and put it all back together.
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #1017
Wrangler

I'm with Joshua,

Simply export a frame from the point in your movie, then import it and put it in the position you want on your timeline. Remember to deinterlace or use flicker removal. Otherwise you'll get 2 fields flashing on your screen at the same time - and that don't look to good.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1018
Major Player

I've run into the same problem and it's a major pain in the butt. I believe I have solved most of that problem by allowing more "preroll" and "postroll" for each shot I capture. If needed, go back and recapture the clips with a little added footage on each end, if that makes sense.
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1019
Wrangler

Hi Joe,

VBR: Variable Bit Rate. i.e. that bit rate will vary depending on what the picture is made off. Setting this value to say 7Mb, that will be the highest bitrate but can vary to any value below this. i.e. if there is a lot of black or dark areas then the bit rate will drop. Ideal for saving space on your DVD.

CBR: Constant Bit Rate. This is where the Bit Rate stays at a constant value. i.e. if this is set to 7Mb then the video will always be 7Mb no matter if there is a lot of black or dark areas. This can take up more space on the disk.

7Mb basically refers to quality. The lower this value is, then the lower the picture quality will be, but you'll be able to fit a lot more on a disk. setting this value higher inreases picture quality but will take up more space on a disk.

Pass (1+2): I think this refers to the number of times the encoder will analyze the clips before encoding.

Your TV and LCD screens view pictures in completely different ways. So I would not be to concerned. If you intend for it to be viewed on your PC screen then you might want to play around with the field settings.

I hope this helps a little,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #1020
Major Player

Unfortunately the same thing happened to me on assignment in Africa last month. I can't reshoot the footage! I did learn a way to prevent it from happening again. Simply run the camera with the Manual Adjustment switch set at the Hold position while having at least two manual settings set to your liking. (I set Gain and Shutter Speed.) The Backlight and Spotlight buttons can not be accidentally turned on using this setting.

If that confuses the heck out of you, I'm sorry. Not very good at explaining.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite