Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #976
Trustee

Quote:
mpeg isn't on the list of formats supported for import and editing in PPro.
Page 65 of the Premiere Pro manual lists MPEG/MPE/MPG as a supported video format for importing.
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #977
Regular Crew

adobe premiere 1.5 and after effects 6.5

thanks alot for your help

i'm actually using magic bullet suite which will also give the 24fps look.

what the directions in magic bullet suite instructs is to import the adobe premiere 1.5 footage into after effects and then hit (command+f) which will pull up the Interpret Footage Window. One can also get into the Interpret Footage Window by File---->Interpret Footage. Once in the interpret footage submenu, one is to set the Separate Fields to OFF.

However, once i have a Composition with the whole footage, i can't get the Interpret Footage Menu.

I can only get the Interpret Footage menu by being in an .avi file.

any help?
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #978
Wrangler

I stand corrected: Adobe does have mpeg on the list Christopher cited.

Also, the PPro readme.html file has this to say:

MPEG import is supported only for transcoding. Playback of MPEG material will drop frames, but will render correctly. If you need to edit MPEG regularly, consider using an Adobe Premiere Pro certified hardware card that supports MPEG editing. All supported hardware capture cards are listed at the Adobe Premiere Pro partner certification web page located at: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/6cards.html

Nevertheless, "that dog don't hunt." Maybe some folks have had good luck with mpeg sources. Many, if not most, haven't. For "The Many," PPro just doesn't work properly with imported mpeg clips. The end result is that we have two choices: use a separate application to transcode to AVI before import, or buy a plug-in (or hardware) to give PPro an honest capability to use mpeg sources.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #979
Major Player

Correction for clip shot with backlight on

New alittle help
I shot a clip with the camera backlight correction on. I thought when I shot it it would be ok. However when I got it home I saw that it was too bright. Backlight was flooding everything out. I've tried most of the plugins but nothing I do seems too help. Obviously I'm overlooking something. Any ideas on how to bring this clip back to normal would be appreciated. I don't want to reshoot the clip but may have too. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5

Harry
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #980
Regular Crew

Rendering in Realtime

I've been reading this forum and have heard all these lucky people being able to render in realtime with Adobe Premiere Pro...

Here's my setup...

Intel 3.4ghz cpu w/1mb cache (not overclocked)
abit ag8 motherboard fsb800
2 gigs of pc3200 ram
60 gig 7200rpm wdig harddrive as my boot & application drive
240gig raid0 drive for my capture drive (2 drive raid)
240gig raid0 drive for my rendering-to drive (2 drive raid)

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 and rendering with the mainconcept encoder.
The settings I usually use are 4:3 aspect ratio, VBR 2 pass, 5 quality....

Does anyone have any ideas? I think this setup is enough horsepower to render in realtime...

As an example, I have a 2 minute segment I've been using for testing... The video consists of about 8 disolves.. It takes about 3:30 to render it... I'm sure if it was an hour long, it would take much longer than an hour to render.

I would appreciate any help you guru's can give me!

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #981
Major Player

Wthout moving to a dual processor machine, you are at the edge of speed for the buck with your wintel machine.

If you mean real time export you should be well below the length of the timeline.

Since you are relatively blazing fast for previews, I think you would be setting out on a witch hunt to try and get higher performance from your current setup. I suppose you might get 5% improvement with an overclock or a M/b with a higher fsb speed ... better to wait until your next complete upgrade.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #982
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Holloway

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 and rendering with the mainconcept encoder.
The settings I usually use are 4:3 aspect ratio, VBR 2 pass, 5 quality....
The one piece of crucial information missing here is the what codec you are exporting to. Sounds like WMV? Don't know of any consumer system that is capable of rendering and compressing to WMV in real time.

Now if you just export->movie as a DV AVI, you can export RT or near Rt with just the few dissolves you have added. With hardware support like the Matrox RTX100 you can export MPEG2 realtime (provided the timeline is rendered). But whenever you change the compression of the codec you are exporting to, you are going to add time.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #983
Regular Crew

I'm exporting to mpeg2 for dvd.

File > export > adobe media encoder >MPEG2-DVD...

There is no way to get a realtime mpeg2 export with the current machine setup?

Eric
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #984
Regular Crew

WTF: DVX clip - I want QT export in PP1.5 - proj is 24pA and widescreen

I guess I am basically looking for a DVX user that uses PPro and has gotten a 24pA widescreen export to work properly.

For some reason I am just having a hell of a time getting a good export from Premiere's Adobe Media Encoder in Pro 1.5 for QuickTime format.

I shot with a DVX100A and the project is 24pA and widescreen. I prefer QT to WMP, I can get all the WM presets to work just fine, QT just doesn't seem to be so user friendly to me. It doesn't like me, I think!

Could someone give me a list on the settings for a QT export they use for their work with these project properties? It always seems to come out at the wrong framerate or wrong aspect ratio for me. I don't think I'm this stupid, well maybe, it was a long weekend...

BIG THANKS ahead of time!
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:45 AM   #985
Major Player

can the details in the blown out areas be recovered? depending on how blown out yout video is, details may be irrevocably lost.

first, i would try using premiere's gamma correction filter, it's in the image control section of the effects pallette.

if the degree of control isn't adequate and things start looking a little washed out, i would open after effects and use levels to bring your whites and midtones down a bit.

if you're not familiar with levels in after effects, it's the same as in photoshop. you have three sliders up top, black for shadows, gray for midtones, and white for highlights. drag the white slider until you've sufficiently adjusted the level of the whites in your clip (don't worry about the mids right now). once you're happy with that, drag the gray slider and adjust your midtones so you achieve a more natural contrast in your clip.

good luck...
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:35 AM   #986
Major Player

Henry is right to go after a levels adjustment. Trouble is that if your scene is so riddled with contrast, any adjustment in post will be very destructive.
Best to get the photons in order and re-shoot.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:36 PM   #987
Regular Crew

Different Extensions for Mpegs

After finishing a project I render out my timeline unsing the adobe media encoder and choose mpeg2. I chose the 720p preset and changed the size to 720x480. One project comes out as a mpg recognized as by windows media player. Another comes out as a m2v. Why the different extentions? One did have audio and the other did not, did that have anything to do with it? What detemines the extension? Has anyone else seen this happen?
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM   #988
Trustee

My first guess would be that you rendered out once using one of the presets from the "MPEG-2" category, which probably have the video/audio muxed together, and the second time you chose a preset from the "MPEG-2 DVD" category, which produces separate video and audio files for authoring a DVD.

M2V is just another extension for MPEG-2 video.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #989
Regular Crew

Negative, both were mpeg2. I am familiar withthe mpeg2-dvd presets and the files they produce. Like I siad before, both were rendered with the same preset. Just different projects.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM   #990
Trustee

M2V is a video only MPEG-2 file (no audio).

I assume that you did have some sort of audio in the project that rendered out the M2V file? It wasn't clear from your first post.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; June 3rd, 2005 at 06:58 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite