Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #841
Major Player

Restoring Project Through Timecode

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5

I deleted a video file out of my project because I needed the harddrive space earlier today. I just recaptured the file and linked the 'offline' file to the new one I just captured.

The first part is right, but right after the point where I had done cuts and other things, the video is incredibly off. Premiere is just going by the file length and not the timecode.

The video had a clean timecode ect.
I know that this is supposed to be easy to do - what am I missing?

I need premiere to replace the file correctly based on the original timecode. The video file is exactly the same as the original video file except for I started capturing at a slightly different place, however should it not base the placement of the file based on the timecode readings and not the length of the file?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #842
Trustee

Just curious, did you try to batch recapture the file from within Premiere Pro? I don't have access to Premiere Pro now, but I think you should be able to right click on the off lined file and choose to recapture it. I've done this before.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #843
Major Player

Your right.

I just pulled out my PPro Studio Techniques book and it mentions this. However now I must wait another hour to capture via this method.
Thanks for the reply though.

However, there must be a way for premiere pro to do this without batch capture, but based purely on the timecode of the captured material. Its almost like batch capturing from the camera, except its just pulling the material straight from your harddrive by reading the timecode...?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #844
Trustee

Quote:
However, there must be a way for premiere pro to do this without batch capture, but based purely on the timecode of the captured material.
I thought I remembered reading about doing this, perhaps over on the Adobe forums, but I couldn't find the thread.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #845
Regular Crew

OMG! Yeah I'm using footage given to me by a friend who has a Sony camcorder that only captures in MPEG. Jeez. Could I speed it up if I converted all the files to uncompressed .AVI?
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #846
Regular Crew

Awesome! Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #847
Regular Crew

Anyone?

I have to go over there today and continue to work, and I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't figure out this problem.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #848
Trustee

It's worth a shot, try it with a small section of video first, that way you don't waste time if it doesn't work, the audio may not come out in sync. I think I remember just suffering with it until I started capturing differently. I had a capture card that only had S-Video and RCA. My capture software sucked at the time too, so it captured only in MPEG1 no choice for .AVI . I think I also tried to increase the bitrate, I don't remember if that helped or not.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #849
Major Player

I would export each sequence as DV avi and create several Encore projects. The transcoding process is time consuming once you begin to build your img file from within Encore.
If you have 14 hours of source material plus the flattened work from PPro along with all the assorted conformed audio files, perhaps your drive is full?
If you have gigs 'o plenty on the system, try exporting a shorter avi from premiere. Maybe 1 hour and test that in Encore to see if you are successful. Then you can increase the load on Encore and patiently wait to see how the VBR compression works out. The compression in Encore is quite good, but it does take time.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #850
Regular Crew

Hard drive space isn't the issue. I'm using a 400gb external drive, and even with all the uncompressed footage on there, it's only half full. I will try what you're recommending and see if I have any better results. Although I did try using Encore before and it froze just like Premiere. I wish this process was much easier.

Any idea why Premiere was telling me that my <2 hours of footage would take up more space that was available on the DVD? That was really boggling my mind for a while on Tuesday.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #851
Major Player

You original post indicated that your OS and Premiere were not freezing. But you think Encore is freezing up? Sounds like hardware.

I don't want to send you on a diagnostic wild goose chase because I have no experience with external drives. But this could be i/o related. If you have a secondary slave ide available, you might try using that as your video drive location with a 120 gig drive. This way your throughput will be faster and less prone to bottlenecks. Granted your source files won't all fit there, but you could use that ide drive as the drive location for the flattened avi_s as well as the export location for your img files from encore.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #852
Trustee

Have you tried just making a single .avi and burning it (transcoding) with 3rd party burning software? I usually use Nero to make DVDs that don't require a menu and chapters.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #853
Major Player

In my experience, the Screen and Multiply keyers haven't worked in PPro v1 or 1.5...I don't have 1.5.1 on anything yet, but I suspect the blurs have nothing to do with it...

As far as reporting the bug...I've been reporting it for two years. I can tell you that it made it onto the hot list and chances are 1.5.1 will be the last version that bug will exist...
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #854
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner
Have you tried just making a single .avi and burning it (transcoding) with 3rd party burning software? I usually use Nero to make DVDs that don't require a menu and chapters.

I thought about doing that, and even tried it, but I think Nero needs to have the files already converted to MPEG2 with video and audio separated. Because when I open a DVD video project in nero, it has the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders there to drop files into.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #855
Trustee

you could fit 4 hours of footage onto a dvd if you wanted to... all that you have to do is to set the bitrate correctly... there are numerous bitrate calculators on the 'net that will help you do this... try www.videohelp.com (?)

the freezing problem shouldn't be related to that at all... but you might try exporting an avi and encoding it directly with the mainconcept mpeg encoder that comes with premiere... or is that not accessible as a stand-alone app in the latest version of premiere? 6.5 had it.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite