Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old January 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #91
Major Player

First premiere 1.5 is supposed to be completely based around the realtime concept.

I too have wondered how the 'ram preview' in 6.5 was so much faster than the realtime now in 1.5.

I believe it was because the original ram preview in 6.5 was not full quality/ resolution and because the new 1.5 is much more processor intensive.

There is no option to select realtime in premiere 1.5, because technichally everything already is. However if your computer isn't up to premium specs it cuts down on the quality to almost an unwatchable level.

Currently on my system (1.7ghz 768rdram) I just have to go ahead and render every change I make (enter) to preview it at an acceptable level. My whole editing process is probably now much slower using 1.5, but the other features definately make up for it. Plus, when I acquire a new computer this shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #92
Wrangler

Hi Desi,

I don't really have experience with 24pa or 24p, but Premiere Pro 1.5 does supports them. Only people who have experience with this can tell you how well it is handled :)

As for using the RTX 100, I can certainly recommened it, But you need to make sure that your system meets the recommended system requirements by Matrox (http://www.matrox.com/video/support/...o/rec/home.cfm), including buying the right branded motherboards etc. It'll certainly be an improvement over your Pro One.

In the end only you will be able to decide if this will be right for you. Where posible try and get a demo with an adobe/ matrox approved dealer.

Please refrain from using capital letters. It makes it look like you are shouting your words. As this is a friendly, relaxed discussion board, nobody really needs to raise their voices.

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Audio Capture Problems

I recently recorded a live event using my XL2. I had two sources of audio. One of them was the on-camera microphone and the other was a set of microphones run through a mixer and into the XLR input on the back of the camera. I set the camera mic to record on the right stereo channel and the mics from the mixer through the left. I was then planning on taking each of these tracks, separating them, and copying them over to make two simulated stereo tracks.

However, when I try to capture the video in premiere, the audio is only capturing from the right channel. When I listen to the playback from the camera through my headphones, I hear both, so I don't believe it's a camera issue. Is there some setting I need to have in Premiere to capture all the audio channels? I've even tried only playing back the left channel through the camera while capturing and that doesn't work. What am I missing? This is really very frustrating.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #94
RED Code Chef

Also see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=37509

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #95
Tourist

GS400 and Premier pro 7.0

i have to start by saying that i am extremely new to this game...

alright. going a little insane. has anyone run into trouble using Adobe Premier Pro 7.0 and capturing from a GS400?

I noticed in the settings product list does not include the GS400, which i didn't think would be a big deal. but for the past 3 day's i've been trying to get my video captured with little success.

the camera feeds into the program fine, i can, seemingly, set my in and out points fine, and logging offline clips into the project window works perfectly.

but then the manual tells me i have to 'batch capture' and when this begins, it:

a) doesn't work and produces a log that says it was aborted.
or
b) tells me that i can't capture and have to increase my preroll (which i do and still no deal)

i also noticed, that the offline files in my project window state there is no in/out points set. the only info that is present is media start and media end. even though i carefully set the in/out points in the capture window.

i follow the manual's instructions, it seems, to a t. but still no deal. so i'm wondering if this has been a problem for anyone/if that problem has a solution. i realize i'm probably overlooking something, but the manual offers no insight as to what i could be doing wrong because, according to that, im doing it right.

any help/advice would be appreciated. i really don't want to have to pick up another program if it isn't necessary. thank you for reading this long winded post.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #96
Wrangler

Jono, I moved your post to the Premiere forum in hopes that it will gain more answers for you. I have a left a re-direct in the Panasonic DV/MX forum.

Thanks,
Tommy
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #97
Tourist

changing the question

...so...as far as i can tell, the reason that i cant capture is because i have a discontinuous timecode on my tape. it is set to zero at least 3 times on the tape (thanks to my beginner's 'luck') so. i guess what i should ask now is: can i reset/override the timecode on the tape?
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Several problems at the same time

I have Premiere v6.5 but I am still somewhere low down on the learning curve.

I need to make a short clip, possibly Quicktime or whatever suits, for viewing on the web.

The raw material, as it were, is available in one of two forms:

1. approximately 4,096 .TIF files of about 3MB each;

2. an .AVI file of about 190MB (Indeo 5.5, from memory)

Just to be different, the format is square, 1024 x 1024. I'm going to need to crop the image top and bottom, not necessarily by equal amounts, to arrive at 4:3. As the camera was locked off during the shot and the subject doesn't move up and down too much, the cropping can be the same on all frames throughout the clip.

Because of a combination of slight underexposure and the presence of a spectral highlight at the edge of frame, the images are dark overall but can be brightened up to an acceptable standard using normal image manipulation software.

I have tried importing the .AVI into Premiere, taking a small slice of it, just a few seconds long, and applying treatment to it. I forget what the technical term is, but what it amounts to is brightening and clipping top and bottom. I have tried these processes singly, and the results are the same.

This is where it all goes pear-shaped. I can see the original in the preview screen but although the program sits there working away producing an .AVI file, which appears to be the right size in MB, the frame is black throughout.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find Adobe's Help files to be spectacularly unhelpful.

Can anyone set me off along the right path, so perhaps I can provide the right information leading to a solution.

Al

PS: the original material is high-speed video from one of Vision Research Inc's Phantom cameras.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #99
Tourist

vx2000 WONT CAPTURE

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro and am not able to capture with my VX2000. Other cameras i use, once pluged in, automatically start up Premiere. On the other hand my Vx does not activate and will not activate in Premiere either. Is this a camera problem or is there some setting that needs to be changed. I have a project to be completed soon so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #100
Regular Crew

probably an easy 6.5 question

i just got 6.5 and i was tinkering around with it. i captured some short clips (no problem there) and placed them in order in the timeline. easy enough. but when i go to the monitor and play it, it just plays as a series of short stills w/ no sound. what gives? like i said, probably an easy/stupid question.

thanks
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #101
Wrangler

It could be outputting back to your camera, you woiuld get a sort of Jerky effect on your monitors in Premiere if you are? To check:

1) Is your camcorder switched one while you are playing around in the timeline?

2) Have you got DV Playback set in settings?

3) If you have got your DV camera connected, check the viewfinder to see if its playing through. If so simply hook up a TV/ External monitor to the anaolgue outputs on your camera and you should hear sound and full motion video on the TV screen.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #102
RED Code Chef

I would first process the picture files to the desired resolution
(which is 640 x 480 for NTSC video) etc. I ASSUME that Premiere
can load an image sequence (find out which format).

Get a program like Irfanview which can batch process frames to
do the cropping and output to your desired format (if Premiere
can't read TIFF for example).

Then load this image sequence into Premiere (make sure it knows
that 1 frame is 1 frame etc.) and do your brightness corrections
etc. there. Then render (output) to your final format.

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #103
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Ted! I've moved your thread to our
dedicated Premiere forum.

First two questions:

1. I assume you are indeed on Windows XP since you are running PPro?

2. Which version of PPro are you using?

Usually either of the following is wrong:

1. NLE is corrupt, reinstall Premiere in this case

2. drivers are corrupt, reinstall Windows

3. firewire port on either your camera or computer might be broken / blown (blown can happen quite easily if you plug equipment in or out that is ON), usually testing with different equipment can help you sort that out

4. firewire cable is broken or not good enough

The best way to get all of this figured out is to dance around with
equipment. Try your camera on another (friends?) computer and
see what it does there. Try a different cable. Try a different camera
on your computer (it may have worked in the past, but that is no
garantuee that nothing is corrupt now).

This should help you to identify where the problem lies. Also
previous versions of Premiere required you to set which camera
you had attached (in the preferences somewhere).

What have you done in Premiere to identify you have a capture issue?

Old January 10th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Hi, Rob.

So you'd recommend cropping and resizing the TIFFs first as a batch, then presumably correcting the brightness/contrast/colour balance, all before importing the sequence into Premiere.

So I'd be handling a smaller number of smaller files -- ideally just enough for the scene.

I can see that if Premiere is for some reason choking on the .AVI because it can't understand the codec, working with the raw still frames will overcome this.

I'll try playing with a very short clip, and see if I can import the frames and render the clip from there.

Regarding the image size, can you see any advantage in resizing to the eventual output size, which is likely to be smaller than 640px as it will only ever be appearing as a QT online?

I'll report back.

Al
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #105
RED Code Chef

No, you should do the correcting of brightness/contrast/colour
balance IN Premiere, not BEFORE. Do the cropping BEFORE
indeed.

Yes, you could crop to your final output size. However, if you
would like a DVD or something then I would go with 640 x 480
resolution.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite