Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Quote:
No, you should do the correcting of brightness/contrast/colour balance IN Premiere, not BEFORE. Do the cropping BEFORE indeed.
OK. Is there a reason for that which I need to know about?

Quote:
Yes, you could crop to your final output size. However, if you would like a DVD or something then I would go with 640 x 480 resolution.
OK. This is purely an online trailer. The DVD will be coming later and we'll be producing it using FCP. The small task I'm doing is a DIY (doe het zelf) exercise.

Al
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #107
RED Code Chef

Speaking Dutch are we? <g>

Reason for which of the two?

The reason to do the cropping BEFORE Premiere is two-fold:

- it significantly reduces the size (in both resolution and filesize) of the frames which will greatly increase processing speed in both editing, correction/effects work and final rendering

- you don't need the resolution to begin with (unless you want to pan across an image which you indicated you didn't want to do)

It all makes it much faster and responsive.

The reason to do the correction in Premiere is that it is designed
to work as a video system instead of a still system like Photoshop.
You already indicated you had problems with Photoshop and
Premiere can easily do the task as well. It has brightness, contrast
and all sort of other filters to process the footage. The advantage
is that it does this natively on your complete file (even if it is
composed of stills), Photoshop might support this as well, but as
you indicated you had problems with that. Why not simply use
a native system that was designed for the task?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #108
Regular Crew

OK on the cropping before importing the files.

As for the image brightening etc, I confess I was still thinking along the lines of batch processing it using IrfanView or something similar, but IrfanView is possibly a bit too heavy-handed for that purpose.

I'll play with this later, when I've caught up with the morning's work.

Tot ziens!

Al
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #109
New Boot

Ugh...I suspected as much :( Thank you Brandon for verifying..
I really found 6.5 much zippier than 1.5. Sluggish beast :)
I guess I'll up my ram and cpu (3gig cpu and 1gig ram) and we'll see how that goes...

Thanks again for the reply :)
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #110
Regular Crew

Draft quality?

Have you tried adjusting the playback quality to either Automatic or Draft? There's much more pixelation but you'll have a better idea of how your transitions and effects work because playback is smoother. You can switch back to Highest quality when you are doing static work such as adjusting filters.
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Following up my earlier post.

Curses! IrfanView doesn't do cropping, so can't use it to batch process.

Got to think again.

Maybe if I don't try to use the .AVI file but import a few .TIFFs I can crop those top and bottom in Premiere before brightening up the image.

Al
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #112
New Boot

Yep, I definitely tried that...it helped a bit..but as soon as there were effects and transistions...ouch. Even on just draft with the monitor window tiny tiny.
So strange why they would allow 1.5 to be more sluggish than 6.5...
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #113
Regular Crew

thanks a lot...i didn't realize having the camera connected would cause such a problem. thanks again.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #114
Tourist

Thanks

Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I will try these out and see if i can narrow it down. When i reinstal Premiere will all the previous videos I have made within it be deleted or what will happen to them. Thanks alot.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #115
Wrangler

Vance,

What sort of setup do you have? Processor, RAM? Do you have a second physical hard drive set up as your scratch disk, or is everything operating off of one HDD?

No question that PPro is demanding. But performance depends both on the your hardware and how your system is set up. If you have an "older" system with a 1GHz processor with 512MB of RAM, your performance isn't going to be the best and that's all there is to it. But even a "fast" system can do poorly if not optimized. For instance, the difference between using a single, mostly filled, highly fragmented "C Drive" and using a second defragged, nearly empty drive as a scratch disk can be night and day.

Also, 24p 2:3:3:2 processing is highly demanding of the CPU.
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #116
Wrangler

PPro 1.5.1 UPDATE soon?

I found this page referencing a PPro 1.5 update to 1.5.1 on the Adobe PPro downloads page, but as of this writing there is no link to the actual update file:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2654

One would like to assume from this that an update is actually imminent. It is a new page...I check for updates for the Adobe Video Collection applications pretty regularly.

All they advertise is HDV support; no mention of bug fixes...of course, some of us will be checking out 24p behavior and other known issues as soon as this update is available.

NOTICE though, they've upped the min system requirement to a P4-3GHz and 1GB RAM...I don't know at all yet whether that represents a real change to the code or just an attempt to reduce complaints about performance, or is aimed specifically at the demands of HDV support.

Just wanted to get the word out quickly so DVinfo users can be the first on the block with the update...whenever it actually is posted!
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #117
Trustee

Well THAT'S a real tease .... (Adobe, that is, not you Pete)!

Would have to conclude that the release is indeed imminent for them to have that webpage up.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Adobe 1.5.1 update came and went

Looks like an Adobe goof. It was an HDV update and was up last night for a few hours but disappeared by midnight or so.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #119
Wrangler

Thats OK,

Sometimes the easiest is not always the obvious...

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #120
New Boot

Well, I am currently using a P3g with 1 gig of Ram...fairly fast machine..
I have 3 physical harddrives...but perhaps I should see how I can optimize my hardrives a bit better, like you are mentioning..

Anyone have any suggestions on the best optimal setup? Like, where Pro should be installed and where the scratch disk should be, the actual source videos etc?

Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite