Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old January 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #76
Wrangler

Hi Mike,

Yes, knowing a bit about your computer hardware and software setup will help. Also which Adobe software and version are you using?

For starters, though:
Although PPro 1.5 is more forgiving than earlier versions, it still doesn't tolerate breaks in the timecode more than a couple seconds long. If you've resumed taping past the end of the last shot on the tape, you'll have timecode hassles. If that is the case and you have another DV camera available to you, one thing you can do is dub your whole tape to the other camera. Done all in one go, the new tape will have its own timecode.

Hopefully that's a start.

EDIT: BTW, unless there has been a very recent update that I've missed, PPro 1.5 doesn't have a capture profile specifically for the XL2 since the camera came out after the software.
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #77
Regular Crew

im useing premiere Pro 7

and i dont have another Camera to transfer it to

is there a way with 7 to just take everyting off the tape cuz i can just sift through all the work and cut out what i need ?

cheers Mike

XPS P4 3.4, 1 gig ram, 100gig HDD,
Ati Radeon 9800 256MB ram
Premiere Pro & After Effects

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #78
Regular Crew

thanks for what help you guys have provided

but i solved my time code issue buy capturing with Pinnacle and importing to Premiere.

well i didnt really solve anything i just went around the mountine instead of going through it.

thanks again

Cheers

Mike

XPS P4 3.4, 1 gig ram, 100gig HDD,
Ati Radeon 9800 256MB ram
Premiere Pro & After Effects

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Exporting to Tape Jittering need help!

Hi, guys. I have question.

I'm trying to export a mpeg2 file in Premiere to a mini DV tape with the stock settings DV NTSC Standard 48khz and I'm getting really bad jittering effects on the dv tape like one image is overlapping the other.

The reason I'm not capturing right from my original premiere file is because I wanted to add one minute of color bars at the beginning of the film without having to go back and move my original premiere file down the timeline and re-adjust the keyframes just so I could add an extra minute of color bars.

So, I started a new project and just exported the mpeg2 file I encoded and inserted the color bars before it. But, I'm getting this jittering effect.

I heard it could be my fields aren't set right. Right now it's on "lower field" and I've tryed setting it to "upper field", but I haven't had any luck. I'm trying to export to a GL2. Does anybody know how to solve this?
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #80
Tourist

Would this be good for an editing PC with Premiere 6.5?

Hi friends,

I'm finally going to get a new PC that will actually allow me to edit footage at home (I currently mooch free 4 A.M. AVID time when I need to cut). I was going to put a system together from scratch, but then I came across an amazing clearance deal for the Gateway 505GR desktop. For basicallt 1K Canadian, I can get a PC with:

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹

Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 supporting Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology4
Operates at 3.0GHz

1MB L2 Cache and 800MHz FSB

Chipset
Intel® 915G

Memory
1024MB DDR (400Mhz), Dual-Channel Memory
Expandable to 4GB

Hard Drive
200GB (7200 rpm, Serial ATA, 8MB Cache)5

Video
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 up to 224MB DDR Shared Video Memory

Audio
Intel® High Definition 6-Channel Audio (5.1)

Optical Drives
DVD±RW, Double-Layer Multiformat

Write max: 8x DVD±R, 4x DVD±RW
32x CD-R and 16x CD-RW Disks
Reads 12x max. DVD-ROM Disks
Reads 40x max. CD-ROM disks
CD-ROM Drive: 48x max. Read

Etc. Now, I know I'll still need a Matrox card if I want multi-screen options, but outside if this, would I be covered in the video / audio department with the Intel cards? Hard drive, processor and memory seem to be above spec as far as editing goes, so I'm just wondering about the rest.Any tips? Also, has anyone here had any *bad* experiences with Gateway PCs? They seem to use quality components (Seagate 7200 Hard drive, Intel everything...). Any and all input would be graciously appreciated!

MD
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #81
Trustee

That system would be great for DV editing and very workable for non-RT HDV.

You don't mention firewire ports, but I assume that's on the motherboard?

Premiere supports ASIO drivers which allow you to route audio tracks to the separate channels of a multichannel soundcard. If you are interested in authoring 5.1 sound for DVD, it would pay to check the specs on the Intel sound chip versus a prosumer audio card from somewhere like M-Audio.

Also, I'd be inclined to add a 2nd cheap 7200rpm drive, so that you can have your OS and apps on one drive and leave the second free for your video and audio files.

If you just want dual CRT or LCD monitors, an el cheapo NVida dual-head card may be all you need. If you also want fullscreen output to an interlaced monitor a Matrox Parhelia would indeed be nice.

Enjoy!
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #82
New Boot

Pro 1.5 real-time issues

Hello all,

Just a quick question; I am wondering why, in 6.5, you could choose between Ntsc and Ntsc *real-time*. It allowed me to just press Enter and the video would play no problems..even with multiple effects.
But in Pro 1.5, I don't have a "real-time" option when creating a new project.
Why in 6.5 you get a "real-time" option, but in 1.5, you do not? And 1.5 is substancially choppier.

Do you have to have a specific card installed for a real-time option to appear in pro 1.5?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, that would be very, very, very helpful!
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #83
Inner Circle

1- At Ncix.com, you can get a very similar for about the same price. With that online store it's out in BC so you only have to pay 7% GST instead of ???15.025%??? tax. For $1,150 plus shipping plus 7% GST, you can get them to put together something like the following:
Antec 2700AMB case
Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor
Abit AS8 motherboard with firewire (socket = LGA775)
1GB RAM (choose the cheapest, because they'll test it anyways)
seagate 200gb hard drive
eVGA Geforce FX5200 VGA DVI out (may need VGA-DVI adapter; Nvidia drivers; may be cheaper dual head Nvidia card)
benQ 16X DVD+-RW burner (other burners like the Nec 3500a or Pioneer 16X one are better)
microsoft keyboard, optical mouse. no speakers.
winXP home.
Full assembly and testing.

Differences from the gateway:
You get firewire and the dual monitor video card installed.
Support: NCIX = none, Gateway provides some support. *You can get free online support from places like protonic.com
No proprietary parts (one or more of case, motherboard, power supply).
The Windows installation with the custom build won't have bloatware on it that the manufacturer installs.
Different chipset (older, cheaper 865PE chipset). Should be same performance. Uses AGP video cards instead of PCI-E, and uses DDR RAM (not DDR2).

If you can build your own computer, you can save like $100 by buying the parts at sale prices from NCIX and by assembling the system yourself. Some of the NCIX prices are a little high- a friend of mine has a special account with them and gets special pricing on all their items, so he can see a sizeable difference between normal and special pricing. You can price match other vendors apparently, although I haven't tried it. Ordering from NCIX might take some time if they don't have stuff in stock... you may run into this.

You can check out the reputation of various computer sellers through resellerratings.com. Major vendors like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. have very low ratings (around or under 5 out of 10), although the sample size may be skewed and for Gateway there aren't that many reviews (although many Gateway computers being sold). The main thing you should be concerned about is the support you get from these companies.
A- They generally don't cover spyware, the most common problem people have with their PCs.
B- All the companies farm out tech support to India, where they may not understand your thick North American accent. Gateway/Emachines might be half NA half India (not sure if home users get NA or India).
C- Some of the tech support reps just read off scripts and have little or no computer knowledge. If you have a problem you may be told (multiple times) to re-install Windows via the manufacturer's recovery CD.
D- If you have to get hardware replaced, you may have to go through C.

NCIX has a fairly high rating, but they mainly sell computer parts so the rating may not reflect their computers.

2- If you plan on using hardware acceleration cards for Premiere Pro then get an Intel (not Abit) motherboard or whatever's compatible.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #84
Trustee

Excellent comments from Glenn. I support his suggestions about avoiding bloatware, DDR2, and PCI-E video.

And when I said "Nvidia card" I was actually meaning an Nvidia chipset on a cheap card (such a eVGA).
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #85
Wrangler

Hi Jake,

Can you please provide some more info.

- What are your computer specs
- What version of premiere are you using
- What settings did you choose
- What sort of Mpeg file is it
- Is there a reason why you are using an MPEG file

I've had problems with Premiere 6.5 when trying to export an Mpeg file into an AVI, where it would jitter and not look right. I resolved it by using an external program to convert to an AVI file. This then played back OK.

I think that your best option might be to:

export the MPEG file into an AVI file, then export the AVI file to tape.

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #86
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : Hi Jake,

Can you please provide some more info.

- What are your computer specs
- What version of premiere are you using
- What settings did you choose
- What sort of Mpeg file is it
- Is there a reason why you are using an MPEG file

I've had problems with Premiere 6.5 when trying to export an Mpeg file into an AVI, where it would jitter and not look right. I resolved it by using an external program to convert to an AVI file. This then played back OK.

I think that your best option might be to:

export the MPEG file into an AVI file, then export the AVI file to tape.

Thanks, -->>>

Hi, Ed -

Thanks for the feedback. I actually solved the problem by first opening up a new premiere project and just adding the color bars and tone to it and then recording that on the miniDV tape.

Then I closed that and opened back up my original premiere film with my documentary and then recorded that onto the same tape. Problem solved. It's always the simple things isn't it!

But, I have another movie I have to do the same thing to, but I only have it as a VOB file, so should I convert that to a mpeg2 file or AVI? Will I lose any image quality recording on a miniDV from avi instead of a mpeg2 file? Thanks again!
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #87
New Boot

Experienced User's

Thinking about TRADE UP TO MATROX RT.100 XTREME PRO BUNDLE from
PINNACLE PRO ONE. ADOBE PREMIERE 6.5. REASON BEING?

Shooting full feature with DVX 100 and can't decide wather or not to do it in 24pA or 24p as I know the programs I have now very well, ( Problems / glichs) and can deal with them.
I do not want to spend the money for somthing I'm going to have more problems with. seeing how that is that last thing I need while making a movie.( more Problems)
So my question is ?
is anyone having problems with the matrox/ premiere 1.5 shot in 24PA?
or should I just keep what I have and shoot it straight to DVD and not worry about blowing it up to film?

Their you go ED...
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #88
Regular Crew

As stated, a second video only hard drive is a wise move. Also, a deicated video card replacing whats built into the motherboard will also help performance a bit.

Eddie
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #89
Wrangler

I would stick to DV AVI when exporting to DV tape. My experiencing using MPEG2 IBP in the timeline and exporting has not really turned out too good. MPEG2 IBP was not really made to be exported back to MiniDV nor to be used as an editing format, The main reason being that an MPEG file is made up of a GOP (Group of pictures), Which makes it hard to get frame accurate editing.

If it were me, I would stick to DV AVI when editing and exporting to MiniDV. Only use MPEG2 when exporting to DVD.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #90
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : I would stick to DV AVI when exporting to DV tape. My experiencing using MPEG2 IBP in the timeline and exporting has not really turned out too good. MPEG2 IBP was not really made to be exported back to MiniDV nor to be used as an editing format, The main reason being that an MPEG file is made up of a GOP (Group of pictures), Which makes it hard to get frame accurate editing.

If it were me, I would stick to DV AVI when editing and exporting to MiniDV. Only use MPEG2 when exporting to DVD.

Cheers, -->>>

Ed -

Do you have any recommendations on any programes that I could use to export my VOB file into an AVI file? Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite