Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #181
Major Player

Fading Titles in PPro

All,

I am doing video for an employee awards show this weekend... I shot interviews with about 50 employees and cut maybe 75 soundbites in to 6 clips for the show.

All is fine, except the customer now wants their names and years of service on the clips. I did up an example of the first one, and they loved it, but it was time consuming. For each person I had three extra video layers: one for a solid bar to put behind the names, one for the name title, and one for the years of service title (they repeat - 5, 10, 15, etc.). I used the opacity handles on each to manually fade each of the three in and out.

My question is: how can I fade these items in and out for each person with out manually doing the opacity changes?

My second question is: how can I create the 50 titles without manually changing the font and size for each one? ... also very slow in the PPro title system

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #182
Major Player

Barry - I'm not sure I completely understand your process. Can all three graphic layers be combined one one, or do you need to manipulate each one individually?

If they can all be on one layer, you can create the first one and get the size and position of all elements the way you like it, save it, change the employee name and "Save As" with another file name. Repeat until all are done.

Drop a crossfade transition on the each end of each graphic on the timeline to eliminate the need to adjust opacity. If you leave a gap between each graphic, you can use the crossfade transition to completely fade out the clip. After the transition is placed on each adjacent clip, they can then be butted up together if that is the desired effect.

I'm not sure this addresses your particular problem but hope it helps.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #183
Regular Crew

Deinterlace...reinterlace

Please forgive the length of this post...

Okay...I think I may have created a big problem for myself and I am hoping someone can help :).

I shoot with an XL2, edit with premiere pro on a pc, export as avi, and create my dvd using encore.

I have never messed with interlacing/de-interlacing before this project, which is a 20 minute motocross video. However, this time I decided to de-interlace my footage for better web-viewing but now I need to take the footage to dvd for TV viewing and am having trouble. I de-interlaced using the "field options" command for each clip on the timeline. That may be part of my problem.

1. The de-interlaced footage looks bad on TV, with lots of fragments and poor overall picture quality throughout. No surprise I suppose.

2. I went back into the field options for each clip on the timeline and unchecked the "de-interlace always" option and rexported to avi and re-built the dvd in encore. Unfortunately the footage still has the fragments and poor quality.

I am hoping someone can suggest a solution. Perhaps it is possible to re-capture my footage without rebuilding the entire 20 minute timeline?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #184
Wrangler

Josh,

It'll help us to help you figure out the mystery if you can provide us with a little more info on settings for each stage of the process, such as:

1. Camera: 24p, 30p, or 60i? If 24p, did you use 3:2 or 2:3:3:2? Aspect ratio wide or narrow? Shutter speed?
2. Capture: Timeline preset (wide/narrow, 30fps or 24fps)? Device preset? Any pull-down method?
3. Timeline settings and filters, such as frame blending on or off?
4. Export: AVI codec, compression, resolution, aspect ratio, de-interlace setting?
4: Encore: Transcoding presets / custom settings, especially any de-interlace settings?

I'm also not real sure what you mean by fragments. Any possibility you can post some frame grabs or very short clips as examples?

In general, PPro shouldn't be doing anything to the source files that you captured. So unless something really funky is going on, you shouldn't have to re-capture. Can you create a new sequence, drop a source clip into it, and get good results from a short export? If so, it confirms that it is simply a "wrong" setting within the work flow...the trick will be looking at the settings in each stage as above and seeing where the culprit is.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #185
Wrangler

Barry,

If I understand...you're just trying to achieve a fade in / fade out for text that has its own contrast background?

I don't think there's any shortcut to typing out the names, etc. But you can definitely automate the fade in / fade out process. Ed's way works great. The title applet allows you to put customizable geometric shapes behind the text, so unless you do need each portion of the title (eg name, years of service) to behave differently, Ed is definitely correct that there's no need for more than one video track (in other words, one file for each person's info).

A way to automate the fades etc for large numbers of similar title clips on a video track is to select the first clip, then set your opacity handles at the beginning and end of that clip for your fade in and fade out...as well as any other attributes or effects.

Edit>>Copy that first clip, then select all the subsequent title clips in the video track, and finally Edit>>Paste Attributes. They'll all have the same opacity handles, etc.

You can select multiple clips on a video track by using the Track Select Tool (it is just below the selection tool in the Toolbar and looks like a right-facing arrow with a dotted rectangle around it) and clicking on the next clip OR using the Select Tool (the top-most arrow-shaped tool in the Toolbar) and simply dragging along the video track to include all the clips you want to apply the attributes to, OR Shift-clicking to multiple-select.

Once all the title clips have the attributes you want, any of them can be moved or tweaked any way that suits you.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #186
Regular Crew

how do you pan video or still pictures in premiere 1.5...I can't figure

I need to know how to pan, zoom in..zoom out in premiere 1.5. I know how to do it in 6.5 but can't seem to get it in 1.5

thanks for the help
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:46 AM   #187
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete! Here is more info:

1. Camera: 60i

2. Capture: just Premiere defaults, did not adjust pull-down, etc.

3. Frame blend: on

4. AVI codec: Microsoft Windows Media 9; 720x480; 29.97 fps; no compression; aspect ratio 0.9

5. Transcode presets...boy, perhaps I found the problem...it is preset to 16x9 high quality 4 mb VBR 2 pass...but of course my vid is 4x3. It would seem to me that type of error would cause more disastrous results, but I will fix that and try again.

Thanks Pete...I will post an update asap.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:55 AM   #188
Major Player

There is a new "fixed effects" section under the effects control tab (in my setup of 1.5, it's in a window next to the monitor, when in single-monitor mode). here you'll find Motion and Scale controls. It's a little more After Effects-y of a control than that pop-up window in 6.5.

I just upgraded from 6.5 to Pro 1.5, and I definitely like the new Motion and Scale controls.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM   #189
Major Player

Definately drops you into an abyss of keyframes if you're not ready for that kind of control.

Also, at the end of the duration of the clip or still photo, the preview image dissappears when you are working to position the final keyframe. This is an Adobe bug that fell through the cracks.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM   #190
Regular Crew

I am still lost here. I am using the trial 1.5 version...do you think it's missing?
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM   #191
Major Player

Look at the top of your monitor window for a tab called "effect controls".

Or, click on window and look for effect controls there.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM   #192
Regular Crew

gotcha! Okay...I kind of have to de progam myself from 6.5
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM   #193
Regular Crew

Well, as it turns out it is not the transcode settings...although they were certainly wrong.

The avi coming out of premiere has the fragments before I even go to DVD. I will edit down a short clip and get it posted tonight.
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM   #194
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro and XP

Since updating to XP service pack 2, I seem to be having problems transponding footage when I want to write to a DVD. I read somewhere that there was a problem with an earlier windows version and microsoft tried to sort the problem whilst adobe where trying to sort the problem (without taling to each other), they both then updated their progam to create even more problems. Is this true ?.

I can render the file as an avi file and then use sonic DVD to write the DVD, but I`m not happy with that as a permanent solution. Encore won`t transpond either.

I`ve tried reinstalling Premiere, but it didn`t help. Only option left, unless a update is available is to reinstall windows. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

Many Thanks for any help

Andy
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM   #195
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie :
Also, at the end of the duration of the clip or still photo, the preview image dissappears when you are working to position the final keyframe. This is an Adobe bug that fell through the cracks. -->>>

Is that really a bug? So far, I've only had a chance to do a couple quick spots with Pro 1.5, and I thought that was some sort of problem as well. But on closer inspection, when you zoom in to single frames on the timeline, I noticed that the cursor (or sweeper, scroller, indicator, or whatever) has a bar at the top that extends one frame in front of the indicator -- which, I assume, is meant to show you "this is the frame you are editing." If you were to scroll to the very end of your video, the indicator would be on the end tip of that last frame, but the bar extending out would not -- meaning, "there's no video here to edit."

Think of it like this:say you place video in the timeline that starts at the frame 15 designation and ends at the frame 20 designation. Then you drop in another shot next to it, that will start at the frame 20 designation and end at frame 25. The two shots are not really overlapping -- they don't both co-exist at frame 20. And if you drag the timeline cursor out and stop it at the frame 20 designation, you'll see that the overhanging bar at top covers the area in shot 2, which is where you're really at...

I can't explain this very well... I'm working on only 3 hours of sleep... Or maybe I'm wrong... Either way, I apologize if the above makes no sense. Now get me a bed...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite