Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM   #931
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kampia
Does the problem persist when you render/export? Can you view playback on an external monitor?

When you say you tried all field options, have you tried just "deinterlace"?

What is the resolution of the hand still image, and has it been scaled at all in Premiere?

If all else fails, try dropping a gaussian blur filter on the hand still, leave it set to zero, and see if thee is a difference.
Thanks for the quick reply!

The problem remains when I render the sequence, no change. I have not done an export test.

I've tried all the field options, and all combinations of those options.

I've tried a few resolutions--(A)1000X750@72dpi and (B) 2000X1500@72dpi. Plus one at 150dpi. Yes, I have to scale the image--(A) at about 65% and (B) at about 33%. I wonder--if I scale the hand image in Photoshop to the size that I need in Premiere, would that solve it? That would make some sense...I'll try that one when I get home.

I did try a blur on it, but it didn't really help in any usable way. I tried the blur (actually, I worked through a number of types of blurs) at numerous settings, but never at zero, I don't think...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:33 AM   #932
Major Player

Export a short segment. I had the same problem with jerky movement with animated pics and once I put it out to DVD, it was smooth as butter. Premiere has to compensate to keep playback at a decent frame rate, so quality takes a hit while previewing.

Kevin
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM   #933
Regular Crew

Thanks, Kevin. In the past I've had the same problem you refer to--but not this time. This time it's actually a jagged edge to the image, not a jerky motion when playing back. I've learned to trust that the preview might be jerky and that the final output will be smooth....

But this is a separate problem from that....
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #934
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Chris Long]I wonder--if I scale the hand image in Photoshop to the size that I need in Premiere, would that solve it? That would make some sense...I'll try that one when I get home.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd open up a new Photoshop NTSC (or PAL) preset if you have CS, and scale the hand image in there. Source images scaled to DV size and resolution have much fewer problems in Premiere. Might work.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #935
Regular Crew

Well, I got it. I rescaled the tiff and tried it, with no visible difference. Then I decided to do the one thing I had not--export a test. Bingo! Once again, I am forced to ignore what my eyes are seeing in the Monitor view during editing, and trust that it will look like a million bucks when I'm done. It looks fine after export--so thanks all! On to other things...

Oh Yes! I want to mention this: I got more useful help--and I got it quicker--here in this forum than I did over at the official Adobe Premiere Pro User-to-User forum. Way to go DV Info!

Last edited by Chris Long; May 24th, 2005 at 06:30 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:08 PM   #936
Major Player

Capture Issues

I'm in the process of getting a Canon XL2 and I own Adobe Premiere 6.5/Mac Version. I plan to get Final Cut Pro down the road at some point and was hoping I would be able to capture footage from the XL2. I've asked Canon tech support and they said I should be able to altho' they don't list AP as compatible software. I use a Canon ZR40 and download/capture clips by using the ZR25 setting, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the XL2 with Premiere? does it work? I will have my cam at the end of this week and will see for myself, but I just wondered if any of you might know. Thanks for any help!
Lucinda
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #937
New Boot

Since you already have a cheap canon cam, dont worry about the XL2 - use that cam for capture and save the wear and tear on your XL2. I use a sharp $300 miniDV cam to dump all of my DVX100 footage and havent experienced a problem yet, and all of the 24p and 24pa flags remain intact on premiere pro.
"Aficionado" - www.aficionadomovie.com
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #938
Regular Crew

Yes, Premier Pro will capture from an XL2.

Dan
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #939
New Boot

he has 6.5.

it is possible that device control may not work properly without the right profile...i've seen it happen before, and actually that was with 6.5...

anyone have hands on experience with an XL2 and 6.5?
"Aficionado" - www.aficionadomovie.com
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #940
Regular Crew

eradicating light spot

thanks for the advice

i'll try the suggestions, but alot of what is stated above is technical and i'm very green at photoshop and premiere 1.5 and after effects, but i'll try it and post questions as I go along. If you don't mind giving me maybe a bit more of (handholding) detailed instructions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Bye the way, the light spot is still.....the camera was on a Tripod and the two actors were sitting on chairs at a table talking to each other. behind the actors was the glossy white chalkboard with the stationary light spot between and above the two actors.

bye the way I have after effects 6.0 - I believe this should be adequate for premiere 1.5 - no?

again thanks alot
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #941
Regular Crew

Exporting to DVD or miniDV

I wanted to burn 3 short clips with a total length of 50 seconds to a DVD and miniDV tape.

I put the Indicator to the very beginning of the 1st clip and exported to DVD

I'm wondering, after 4 hrs it was still processing. Thats really long. On top of that, exporting to miniDV took a while to render, but it did finish rendering after 20 minutes, but it didn't record to the miniDV on my GL2.

Is burning to the DVD a very long process? My project may be 15minutes long which I'd want burnt to a DVD
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #942
RED Code Chef

Yes, DVD export can be a long process. It all depends on which encoder you
are using, which profile/settings you are using, what the source material is
(DV or HD for example), how fast your computer is, how much memory you
have, how many programs are running in the background (anti-virus and
spyware detection tools for example) and how fragmented or slow your
harddisk is etc. etc.

You will have to supply us with much more details. However, if you just have
50 seconds of footage it really should not take that long.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #943
Regular Crew

DVD burning

I only have an antivirus program in the background

the processor speed is 3 GHZ and the memory is 512mb

I am using the Adobe Premiere encoder (I believe) and the drive is large (120Gigs) and has been recently defraged

The source material is miniDV

I started at approx 6pm yesterday and 18hrs later its under 50% done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #944
Major Player

I conjecture that Premiere has frozen. 18 hours for 50 seconds is proposterous on that configuration. I rendered out a 10 minute clip with Magic Bullet filters (notorious for long renders) and it was a 7-8 hour output to DVD on my 3Ghz P4, 1GB Ram, HP Laptop. I would reboot, check your preferences as far as where your temp files are going and be sure you have plenty of space. In my case, 50 seconds would take well under an hour to render out. Good luck.

Kevin
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #945
Major Player

Thanks for your responses, but my question was about 6.5 not Pro, I have a Mac.... I was wondering if anyone knew if the 24pA and 24P would be recognized, or if I could use Premiere for this?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite