Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #781
Wrangler

Adobe's web site says, "NOW AVAILABLE" for the Creative Suite CS2 verisons, and there's a Photoshop CS2 try-out (329.1MB) posted...which I haven't tried out quite yet. No video software updates or announcements, as far as I saw (not that I was expecting any at this point).
Cheers.
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #782
Major Player

PC Specs for Vegas or Premiere 1.5

hi all,

just in the process of buying a new PC to turn into an edit suite. basically once the system is installed & XP updates have been done i'll rarely connect it to the web unless I have to so its just an editing machine. very few other programs will be installed also, want to keep it fast & error/virus free.

its going a be a:

P4-550 Prescott 3.4Ghz with Intel 915 Board

2GB Kingston RAM

2 SATA HDD, probably main drive 80GB & video storage drive 200GB

Dual Laye DVD Burner

XP Pro

my question is what graphics card to use? I dont think i'll need a dual monitor system although i will use an ext monitor for colour correcting, etc through my camera & firewire. i will never play games or anything like that, just need a graphics card which will keep up with the video on the monitor without any stuttering etc.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #783
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Sony Vegas does not take advantage of the graphics card in any way. Premeire pro does tap into the graphics card a bit for previewing.

Get an inexpensive ATI or nVidia dual head PCIe card with 64 megs of RAM. While you don't want dual monitors now, you may in the future. Once you start using dual monitors you'll wonder how you ever got by with only one!!

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #784
Major Player

thanks for that Gary..

is 64MB enough since there are now 256MB cards? or is this only useful for gaming? what dollars roughly for a 64MB dual monitor card?

also with dual monitors & ppro, how can you configure the monitors? ie: full size preview on one & timeline, effects etc on the other? is it changable?
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #785
Regular Crew

Matrox

I would look at a Matrox graphics board. Probably more expensive but worth it for the dual head and compatability with video editing hardware and software.
The P650 PCIe for PCIexpress or the P750 for AGP 8X. Both about CA$300 retail.

TwoBit Digital Inc.
Video and Computer Geek
P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, Matrox RT.x100, dual head display
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #786
Major Player

Noobie to Por. Couple quick easy questions.

1. how do i add text? i have main video in video 1.
2. how do i download to my mini dv camcorder? or make a mpeg for the net?
3. audio. how do i adjust the levels of the music to gradualy have the music come on or go off.

i know i have more. but they should hold me over. :)

thanks in advance!
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #787
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Smith
1. how do i add text? i have main video in video 1.
Click on "File," "New," and then "New Title."

Quote:
2. how do i download to my mini dv camcorder?
File<Export<Export to Tape, I believe.

Quote:
or make a mpeg for the net?
You don't want to make a raw MPEG-1/2 for the net. Go to File<Export<Adobe Media Encoder, and use something like RealMedia or Windows Media.

Quote:
3. audio. how do i adjust the levels of the music to gradualy have the music come on or go off.
Okay, click on your audio track. Then click on "Effects Controls" in the clip window. You'll see control called Volume, along with a keyframe button.

Keyframes are your friend. Click a keyframe on the spot where you want the music to begin descending, and then click a keyframe on the spot where you want the music to become inaudible; for the latter keyframe, move the volume slider all the way to the left.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #788
Inner Circle

With Premiere Pro, I would get a Nvidia-based/GeForce dual monitor video card. NOT ATI/radeon- it does not have the spanning dual monitor mode (where your OS sees both monitors as one big monitor). Without it, you will need the Ultramon program to put Premiere Pro on both monitors.

Example card:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814170067
Albatron Geforce PCX5300 128MB, PCI-Express, DVI+VGA or 2XVGA out (via included DVI-VGA adapter)
$72USD shipped, there may be tax depending where you live in the US.
(EDIT: You live in Australia, so ignore that...)

Check that the video card is AGP or pciE and that it works with your motherboard.

Look at your monitor(s) and figure out what outputs you need. Whatever combination of VGA and DVI you may need.

newegg.com is a good retailer to buy computer stuff from (check their resellerratings.com rating) and have a decent search feature to find the exact video card you want.

If you want better openGL acceleration (gaming cards are typically not very good), look at the workstation-type cards like Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire. I don't use Premiere Pro that much so I don't know how much openGL acceleration is good. Only some of the effects use the video card.

Amount of video card memory does not make a big deal as far as I know.

2- Matrox is ok, but lacking in 3d performance and price. Some of them support three monitors.
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #789
Trustee

Mike,

No, mp4UI can't make an MPEG-4 file. It is for combining/modifying MPEG-4 video tracks with audio and hint tracks. I thought it might be able to combine the MPEG-4 video with the MP3 audio to create the file needed to upload to Google. It won't help you if you don't already have the MPEG-4 video and MP3 audio.
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #790
RED Code Chef

I'm not sure I'm following the question. 1280 x 720 is one of the standard
HD resolutions (in 16:9 widescreen). So it is of use to people who are doing
HD(V).

This is of no use if you have SD footage or are going out to some standard
like DVD. It's only useful if you want a high quality compressed file you can
play on computer systems with software like DVD players.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #791
RED Code Chef

What you indeed need is something called "secondary color corrector", try
to find that. If you can't find it you will need some plugins as Johan said.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #792
New Boot

From AE to Premiere?

Hey guys, its easy to go from premiere to After effects, but what is the best way to go from after effects back to premiere?

Do i just use quicktime and sorenson3?
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #793
Regular Crew

Anyone know anything about Bryce 5.5?

Is it good software? How realistic are the locations you can make?
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #794
Major Player

Any results on the tests?
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #795
Wrangler

I have used Bryce for years, and am currently still at version 5. Poor Bryce has been handed down to a couple of different companies since MetaCreations vanished a few years ago. Recently it was bought by DAZ Productions and they are just now releasing v 5.5 (in fact I think the "official" release isn't until next week).

It's getting a lot of discussion on the forums at their website. Some people are unhappy with the bugs and find it actually renders slower. Others love it.. I'm sure they will address all these issues with future updates, and evidently these are already in the pipeline.

I've brought up the subject of Bryce and other 3d software around here from time to time but have concluded that our membership doesn't do a lot of 3d work. You might want to visit the Brycetalk forums at the publisher's website: http://forum.daz3d.com/index.php?

Getting back to your questions, you can do some very realistic things with Bryce, although its strength is probably more along the lines of fantasy landscapes. But it is a capable 3d modeling program which could actually be used for almost anything. Expect to spend a lot of time learning the software though, some of the advanced concepts (creating textures) are not easily mastered.

Here are a few things I've done with Bryce:

http://www.greenmist.com/pearl/02/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/visions/09/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/project/02/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/visions/04/

I will probably be using Bryce less in the future since I just got Vue 5 Infinite which does almost everything Bryce can but goes way beyond its capabilities. There are a bunch of versions of Vue at different prices (5 infinite is the top of the line pro version). If you want to do realistic landscapes you should check it out as well, you can download a free trial version: https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Products/VueIndex.php
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite