Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 82 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #1216
Regular Crew

I noticed an option in Photoshop that would allow me to adjust the pixel aspect ratio of the pictures.

Should I convert them to .9 before importing them into Premiere? Would that help?
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #1217
Major Player

Slow mouse in PPro?

This is weird, but PPro slows my mouse movement way, way down. I'm using a Logitech Trackman Marble, with Logitech's driver under XP Pro, and it zips all over the place just the way I like it to. But inside PPro, it's spin, spin, spin that ball to get the pointer where it needs to go. This is especially annoying with dual displays. Any ideas?
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #1218
Major Player

Capture window and dual monitors...

I discovered that having the capture window in the second monitor will not display the video from the source VTR, just a blank window. Dragging it to the left monitor and hey, presto! there's the live video from the tape. I suspect this has something to do with the video card? It's a Matrox G550 dual head. Odd thing is that the monitor windows do work in the second, right-hand display.
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1219
Major Player

many consumer dualhead video cards do NOT support video overlay to 2 monitors. the only fix i'm aware of is to put all your video windows on monitor 1 (the monitor connected to port 1 of your video card, not your windows-defined primary monitor -- in your case, monitor 2).
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #1220
Major Player

that is odd. did you check your mouse control panel and see if anything changes when you launch premiere pro?
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #1221
Major Player

yes, the .9 pixel aspect ratio is a new feature of photoshop cs.

personally, i find working in the .9 pixel aspect ratio in photoshop a little wierd. i guess when working with images only, it' cool... it just does a lot of funny things to type -- jagged edges, etc.

you can work with either or... the way i suggested above is a comfortable way for me.
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #1222
Major Player

I haven't checked that, since the mouse behaved normally in all other apps and the system outside of PPro. Then a while ago I made an even more bizarre discovery: I had set the system to power down the monitors after 15 minutes of inactivity, which it did. Upon moving the trackball to get them on again, I noticed that the speed of the mouse is as I had intended within PPro! Really, this is weird. On another machine, after playing a game that uses DirectX, the same method of powering down the monitor is disabled, softly. I say softly, because the settings are not changed. They are exactly correct. It just ceases to work until such time as I look at the settings and it works again as planned. What in the world is Premiere (and BTW, earlier versions did the same) doing vis-a-vis the mouse to screw it up? And why does power saving restore it?
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #1223
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro 1.5 Rendering problem – green screen preview

On the PPro timeline I have about 30 still photos (each 26MB PSDs) that are linked by simple dissolve transitions. Each 15 second clip has some changing motion and scaling applied via the Effect Control Window. The problem is that a few of the clips have, or cause, bad rendering. Symptoms are that the rendering may quit early; the resultant preview is a green screen; and some of the video preview files are created with a size of 0 bytes.

The system has 20+ GB of free defragmented space on each drive. The project uses the default DV NTSC D1 settings.

I have recreated the clips using the same photo and applied new motion & scale key frames [only start and end key frames]. This didn’t give any improvement. Sometimes deleting the most recent few video preview files and re-rendering gives a good rendering of the clip. I’m looking for a consistent workaround or fix.

Does anyone have a solution or idea about this problem?

Thanks,

Ken W.
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #1224
Major Player

Ken,

Try deleting the Preview File directory from disk, and launching the project again. Sometimes those files get corrupted. Also, try an actual render out, Export > Movie to a good format and see if the results are what you want. I've never fully trusted Premiere's preview feature.
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1225
Trustee

The best workflow:

1. Make a copy of images to a seperate folder for your project.
2. Make a an action in Photoshop to down convert your images to the NTSC spec and do a batch on the folder.
3. Important and edit in premiere. Even if you plan to pan and zoom, use the low rez files as proxies to keep things moving along in realtime.
4. Note which images require high-rez, and then replace them in you image folder prior to final render.
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #1226
New Boot

I have experienced the same thing. What DPI are your stills? I have seen this happen when I have had stills with a 600 DPI setting. When I reduced these to either 150 or 300 DPI the symptom went away.
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #1227
Regular Crew

Thank you both for your fast and helpful replies. It's great to have some ideas to try tonight.

Joshua:
I'll delete the Preview directory and try an actual render out (Export > Movie)

Rob:
That's interesting. These are big picture files. I'll reduce the photo's dpi. Perhaps that is why only some pictures have rendering problems. Similarly, I'll check if the problem pictures have been sharpened.

Thanks!

Ken W.
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1228
New Boot

I had previously tried deleting the pre-rendered files and also exporting to AVI but I still had the green screens. I doubt that any photo enhancing you have done will cause this (it never mattered on mine). I also found that while the project would render fine at first (with high DPI images), it would eventually start this symptom as the project size grew (in numbers of photos). I also tried importing the assets as JPG instead of PSD files and no change. But if I lowered the DPI (in either JPG or PSD) formats, everything worked.

I can't explain why this happens I only know if I lower the DPI of the stills, the problem never comes back.
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #1229
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob.

>I also found that while the project would render fine at first (with high DPI images), it would eventually start this symptom as the project size grew (in numbers of photos).

Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing!

It's great to see that someone else has seen these strange symptoms and already has a fix. Excellent!
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #1230
Major Player

Dell Power Edge 1800 Servers for Premier Pro

Has anyone (or is anyone) used one of the Dell Power Edge Servers for Premier? I'm seeing where these boxes are on sale this week for about 1k with 2 XEON 3.0 processors and a ton of other upgrades.

I spoke with Dell and they advised me that the PE1800 is a hot box but they don't support things like an AGP slot eventhough it has one. Not sure if I can add a video card in via PCIe or what other limitations I may have by running a box like this.

Would appreciate any advice, I'm looking to upgrade from my single processor 2.8gHT chipset box to something a little more extreme to save render times etc, but need to make sure from someone with experience on these units that it will do what I need rather than having to get up-sold by Dell to a 2000+ dollar workstation.

THanks in advance,

MIGUEL

Last edited by Miguel Lombana; July 8th, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite