Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #586
Major Player

The answer is once again, No.
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:03 AM   #587
New Boot

Phone Effect

is there any way to use the audio effects to make a voice sound like it is coming through a phone?
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:33 AM   #588
Trustee

You should cut the top frequencies as well as the bass and try pushing around 1Khz to 1.5 Khz (basicly, you're trying to make the sound really thin...)

Robin
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:45 AM   #589
Major Player

This is easily done in Audition. Select the range you need and find your fft filter. Select the telephone bandpass preset and you will have a frequency range of about 140 to 3400hz active with the rest of the audio spectrum steeply ramped out.
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:36 AM   #590
Major Player

I have gone he filter route and had it be OK...

I have to say that the most satisfying result I got was litterally by having my actors phone in their lines. They called, I put them on speakerphone, and I pointed my mic at the phone. I got a lot of positive comments about the sound of it.

The problem is that it is tough to have the actors really work off of each other that way... in my case when I did the shoot with the on-camera actor I just read him the phone lines myself. Then I recorded the actor on the phone separately and cut it together. Works for some conversations, not as well for others.

Good luck.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:50 AM   #591
Regular Crew

but is suggest that you get another camera. Don't use your XL2 for that purpose. I use the RTX.100 and yes, i am dissappointed that matrx won't support 24p.

ps
I also own an XL2
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM   #592
Major Player

Most new DVD releases are true anamorphic widescreen. These will require the DVD player to be setup correctly otherwise you can get a letterboxed and vertically compressed image on a 16:9 tv or a full screen vertically stretched image on a 4:3 tv.

Some older releases (and some minor new releases) are a 4:3 dvd which is letterboxed. This will look pretty much the same on a 4:3 tv (but less resolution than true widescreen), but will be horizontally AND vertically letterboxed on a 16:9 tv. To fill the screen most 16:9 tv's have a zoom mode, but this will give noticably poorer quality than a true widescreen source.

(all the above refers to movies with a 16:9 aspect ratio (or 1.85:1 which is usually just transferred as 16:9), 2.35:1 and similar will be letterboxed anyway for a 16:9 dvd.

But I digress.

Anyway, with the dvd player set wrong, a widescreen movie will not be shown correctly, sometimes it can look kinda ok (to the untrained eye). Depending on the combination of Player and TV, 4:3-letterboxed-to-16:9 movies will be shown correctly (kinda two wrongs make a right).
That said some tv's can 'guess' aspect ratios also, which may help.

Conclusion:
1. For 16:9 tv's, set the player to 16:9
2. For normal 4:3 tv's, set the DVD player to 4:3 LB
3. For large/high res 4:3 tv's (with a 16:9 mode) sometimes better results can had by setting the player to 16:9 and set the tv to it's squeeze/16:9 mode

For options 1 and 3 above, depending on the tv and connection method, sometimes extras or movies that are encoded in 4:3 may be shown vertically compressed/horizontally stretched. You have to watch out for this and change the tv to 4:3 mode if this happens.

Hope that clears it all up...
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #593
Major Player

APEX!!!

The biggest culprit in anti-widescreen default settings has got to be APEX. Their cheapo DVD players default to 4:3 Pan and Scan, for goodness sakes! Every time I bring a DVD of my work to a friends house, I inevitably run for the remote as soon as the opening credits come up and I can see the widescreen is getting chopped. It's easy enough to change to 4:3 LB, but I can't believe these people hadn't noticed this before. They are watching rented movies all the time and missing the widescreen.
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:13 PM   #594
Major Player

APEX? never seen one over here in Oz.

Also never seen a dvd player default to 4:3 PS always LB (the way it should be!) the ones I've seen.

I have been to many peoples places and seen them watching movies vertically stretched and being none the wiser (I also do the dive-for-the-remote thing..)

BTW I watch digital tv (widescreen for most things I watch) and looking at the framing I don't know how they are P&S'd to get a decent image for 4:3. They must be always cutting people in half and things. (Almost) gone are the days when they would frame for 4:3 and the sides of the 16:9 frame would be dead space.

One of these days I'll set up an analogue tv next to the widescreen to check it out.
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM   #595
Regular Crew

Previewing 16:9 in Premier

I use a small JVC television to preview my footage both while capturing and editing to get a better idea of what it will look like when broadcast. No I don't have a monitor, and after what I've spent so far, it may be a while before I get one.

Here is my set-up and my problem. I use a Sony GV-D1000 to capture to the HD via firewire. I also have the television connected to the Sony via S-Video and audio. I just got my XL-2 and am shooting 16:9. My problem is, when I preview the footage on the Premiere monitors, it is letterboxed. But on the television, it is squashed. My question is, is there a way (besides resizing in motion effects) to get my television to show the footage letterboxed?

Dan
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM   #596
Regular Crew

anyone?
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:25 PM   #597
Regular Crew

Online education help

Can anyoe recomend the best online site for video tutorials in Adobe premiere pro/ photoshop/afte effects etc

Thank you

Steve
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #598
Regular Crew

Wrigley Video for Premiere Pro

Wrigley Video Productions has a bunch of free video tutorials for Premiere Pro plus a host of user contributed and hosted tutorials on After Effects, Photoshop and Encore.

Adobe Studio also has a bunch of short freebies.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM   #599
Wrangler

I don't really use that feature, I tend to make sure I have enough disk space when I start...

Maybe you could try a small test and post back the results?

What version of Premiere are you using?

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM   #600
Wrangler

Is your TV widescreen?

Some 4:3 TVs have a 16x9 button. What it will do is squish the picture to the correct aspect ratio, so you see the black bars top and bottom when viewed on your 4:3 TV.

The other way to do it with out a 4:3 tv with a 16x9 button or using a widescreen TV, is as you mention to resize the clips with motion effects.

What version of Premiere are you using?

This sort of topic has appeared many times before. Try our forum search ^

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite