DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Llewellyn Thomas February 15th, 2003 12:07 PM

Thank you

Regarding your question, no I do not have the camera plugged in.

Now that I think about it while I was logging and capturing the pc never crashed, but now that I have lots of footage in the timeline it seems to crash.

Maybe it is a memory problem. I will upgrade soon.

This is a silly question, but where do you set the amount of ram that premiere uses. I just cannot find it.

Thanks alot.

Llewellyn

PS I have set the second hard drive to the scratch drive

Robert Poulton February 15th, 2003 03:09 PM

I cant remember specificly. Just go through the preferences slowly and see if it is in there. It is in the same spot as in Photoshop. It lets you enter a % I think. It might only in Photoshop that they have that option. If so sorry about getting your hopes up.

What speed are you HD's, 5200rpm or lower?

Rob

Llewellyn Thomas February 16th, 2003 01:52 AM

Hard drives are 7200RPM for editing and my operating sysem runs on a 5200RPM hard drive.

Thanks

Llewellyn

Zac Stein February 16th, 2003 02:13 AM

Unfortunatly, premiere will never run 100% stable. It is not the fault of your computer, it is just prone to crashes on a lot of systems, plain and simple.

Your biggest problems are your low amount of ram and running win98. Windows Xp Pro is much better investment, it is leaps and bounds above win98 in memory management, stability, you name it, it is better.

If you were to put 1gb of ram and winxp you would think you have an entirely new system. By the ram, pc133 ram is EXTREMELY cheap at the moment if you hunt and grab it asap. Give it 6 months and it will be scarce and very expensive.

BUT that also depends on your chipset and board, what exact chip and board do you have. Some boards only allow up to 512mb ram.

Zac

Kenn Jolemore February 16th, 2003 06:01 AM

You mention that you have alot of clips loaded into the computer at this point. I am wondering how much space is left on the hard drive for premiere to work with?
Double the amount of RAM for starters and if you can afford to get another hard drive your system should be much more stable.
Premiere has been very stable for me and I am constantly supprised at how many people seem to have problems with getting there systems stable with premiere. 2000 Pro is the most stable OS of the bunch for the purposes of editing though XP Pro is getting better.

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 16th, 2003 11:48 AM

It seems to me the latter fade method would have the effect of making an image go mostly gray before going black.

Llewellyn Thomas February 19th, 2003 11:53 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I just bought a new amd 2000+ processor and motherboard, with 512 DDR ram and the editing is now a dream.

I'm still using win98 2nd edition and no problems, but I'm still going to upgrade to win 2000.

Thank you again

Llewellyn

Adam Brennan February 21st, 2003 11:30 PM

Audio on 6.5 premiere is bad...or..??

I am using 6.5 premiere and when I import an MP3 clip that is rated at 128 Kps to the time line and play it back, the sound is kind of tinty or has a metallic sound to it. Now when I play it on windows media player, it sounds fine like it's suppose to.

Am I missing something here? I've used the Studio 7 and 8 with no change in sound quality when I import MP3's, but when I import them to Adobe 6.5, I get a tinty metal sound to them. Any cure for this? I would like to keep the original sound of the MP3, but don't want to have to put filters on it to adjust the sound which I've tried already with no luck.

Why am I getting this tinty sound??

Thanks in advance.

Keith Loh February 22nd, 2003 10:39 AM

Just a suggestion but try converting the MP3 first to a different format like a .wav or .avi. If there is no change in the audio quality when you change formats, then import it into Premiere. Then see if there is the audio quality change.

Using a lossy format like MP3 these kinds of audio quality changes should be expected.

Alex Taylor February 22nd, 2003 08:01 PM

Make sure the sample rate matches the settings in Premiere. Typically premiere will be 16-bit stereo at 4800kHz. Make sure your MP3 matches this. This doesn't have anything to do with the bitrate the mp3 is encoded at.

Premiere also doesn't handle MP3s very well. I usually convert them to WAV files beforehand, it avoids a lot of hassle you might come across.

Rob Lohman February 23rd, 2003 06:40 AM

MP3's can be prone to the "metallic" sound you describe, I've
noticed that a few times as well, especially with lower bitrates
(MP3's I encode are either 256 kbit or 320).

Best to convert to WAV indeed, this makes sure your problem
is not with Premiere. Most MP3 players can output to WAV instead
of your audio card (make sure any signal processing like equalizers
and what not is turned OFF!) and most serious audio applications
can as well.

I would not trust an NLE like Premiere with this task, especially
since it is so poorly with MPEG (which MP3 is) in general.

Walter McElroy, Jr. February 25th, 2003 11:42 AM

Quality AVI Files using Premiere 6.0

I exported my timeline to movie in Premiere 6.0 without any compression, yet the quality of my picture is terrible. It looks decent if I make the Quicktime or Windows Media Picture really small but if I blow it up to full screen it looks horrible. Do I need to change my "export settings" to a certain parameter just to get a decent pic....please help............thanx

Rob Lohman February 25th, 2003 05:04 PM

There is no simple answer to your question. It depends on a lot
of things, but primarely where you want to output to. Do you want
to go back to tape? Or do you want to produce DVD, VCD or
SVCD?

Premiere (and any other NLE) has a lot of export settings and
you need (a lot) of time to get to know them well and understand
what it all does.

Here is a small rundown. I assume your project is in DV.

1. Output to another application
This is usually done in either DV itself or uncompressed (to not
loose any more information). This might be handy for a special
effects program or MPEG encoder.

2. Output back to DV tape
Use the print-to-tape feature to directly export it back to tape

3. Output to the internet
There are a lot of choices to go with here. You can output to
AVI, ASF, QuickTime (which are all CONTAINER formats. They only
contain data and don't compress it themselves. You need to select
an appropriate codec for this which largely determines how it looks).
Then there is MPEG1 & 2 which is a compression and file format
in itself. One thing left is Realmedia/video.

That more or less should cover the basic outputs you can have.
Things I haven't talked about are audio, resolution, framerate,
compression levels & codecs.

As you can see there is a lot to discuss and learn. And that is the
thing I can advise you most: tinker and learn. That is the best
way.

There are only a few golden rules (like export to your camere
must be done in DV at full resolution, DVD uses MPEG2 at full
resolution and VCD uses MPEG1 at half resolution). The other
formats basically leave you free.

John Warren February 25th, 2003 10:53 PM

Newbie question re: Premiere Flicker

Hi all ~ I've recently made the plunge into DV! For reference: here are the principal components of my rig - Sony VX2000/Sony VAIO 2.66 Ghz w/1Gig of RAM, 160 Gig hard drive & graphics accelerator card/Premiere 6.5 & AE 5.5. The subject of my first project was boardsports stuff, with fast cuts & cross-dissolves, so I didn't really notice the aforementioned flicker. I'm now working on a 'nature film" with a lot of slow (3-5 second) cross-dissolves in Premiere.

After rendering, when I view my film, there is a noticable slight flicker at the head and the tail of the cross-dissolve transition. At the beginning, it abruptly gets slightly darker as the transition begins, and gets suddenly lighter at the end of it. I searched and found at least one other user asking this question, but couldn't find a solid answer as to how to remedy it. Do I need a third-party transition plugin to get the best results? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Ed Frazier February 26th, 2003 06:53 AM

John, a couple of things you might check are:

Make sure the transition is transitioning from the first video clip to the second. It is possible to have this reversed which would result in something similar to what you describe.

Another thing to check is the length of the transition. Make sure the clips do not extend beyone the beginning or end of the transition. You might have to stretch the timeline out using the "+" key to notice any overlap.