DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Rob Talley April 30th, 2003 05:29 AM

Ron,
I haven't found a way to correct the still durations en-masse once they are on the timeline. I did pick up what I thought was a nice technique from one of the third party books on Premier.

You can set the default still duration under Edit-Prefs->General and Still Image. Set this to how long you want, Open the storyboard and right-click and import file adding all of your still shots to the storyboard. Arrange as necessary, then click Automate-to-Timeline button on the bottom of the Storyboard window. It opens a dialog allowing you to spec the position on the timeline and to turn on or off the use of the default transition.
Setting the default transition can be found quickly under the help file.

I found it to be a quick shortcut for setting up still slideshows.

I've not used the MPEG-1 output from Premier so I can't comment there. I typically Export to MPEG-2 with the DVD NTSC profile and then let the authoring/burning program re-encode to VCD MPEG-1.

Perhaps someone else can answer that question for you.

Clint Comer April 30th, 2003 10:04 PM

Hey buddy I had the same problem. Go to your playback settings and uncheck the box that says playback in camera. That's what solved it for me.

Ed Smith May 1st, 2003 05:41 AM

You should always turn the camera on before loading up premiere. This way premiere and windows knows that there is a new device. Have you selected your camera from the device control list in premiere (Or nearest one)?

Cheers,

Ed Smith

Rob Lohman May 1st, 2003 12:21 PM

Any chance Premiere is de-interlacing your picture? In what format
and resolution is Premiere loading the image?

David Hurdon May 2nd, 2003 06:13 AM

Premiere Capture Problem

There's nothing wrong with upgrading but before you do, if you haven't installed the free upgrade to 6.02 it's worth a try:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

David Hurdon

Ron Johnson May 3rd, 2003 11:07 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.

The stills are from a digital camera and there are more pixels in the stills than in mini DV. I am using Premiere to import the files with defaut settings except for the odd shot that was framed vertically and then I use "Maintain Aspect Ratio" to keep the right perspective.

How would I know whether Premiere were de-interlacing the images?

RJ

Alex Taylor May 4th, 2003 12:24 PM

Premiere not recognizing 1394 card

A few days ago I took out my firewire card and put it in my new computer. It turns out the IDE controller on my new computer was faulty (due to bad shipping) so I'm waiting on the insurance claim for it. In the meantime, I needed to put my firewire card back in my old computer. I put it back in and booted it up, and Windows XP detected it just like it should.

I plugged in my camera and turned it on, and loaded Premiere. Premiere would not recognize that I had a 1394 card or a camera hooked up to it.

I thought it might be because XP was using the Texas Instruments drivers for the card, so I ran UnTI and now it's listed in the Device Manager as OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. I thought that would do the trick so I loaded Premiere again. Still the same thing; I go into Device Control and it just says that the device is offline, when it's really plugged in, turned on and ready to go.

What would this posisbly be? My card worked fine before I took it out, no problems. It's a Pyro BasicDV.

Windows XP Home
Pyro BasicDV firewire card
Adobe Premiere 6.5
Canon ZR20 camcorder

The card is sharing IRQ 5 with the USB controller and my sound card. Both my network cards are on IRQ 11.

Stuart Kupinsky May 4th, 2003 02:48 PM

Alex did you try re-installing Premiere *after* re-installing the drivers. I have found that Premiere is VERY picky about this. Just a shot in the dark.

Rob Lohman May 4th, 2003 03:07 PM

Premiere only de-interlaces it when you tell it to. When you are
exporting you can also select de-interlacing (this might be on
by default perhaps?)

Alex Taylor May 4th, 2003 03:14 PM

I thought about that, so first I tried going into Windows Movie Maker and seeing if it worked there. It didn't. But do you think re-installing Premiere would help regardless?

Stuart Kupinsky May 4th, 2003 05:00 PM

If you're out of choices it's worth a shot. After trying all obvious permutations I usually uninstall everything, restart the PC, and then reinstall.

Also, Premiere used to randomly unrecognize my DV500 card. I would restart the PC and voila. [Vegas works everytime in comparison]

Sorry you're having the problem.

Alex Taylor May 4th, 2003 05:57 PM

I guess I'll give that a shot then, thanks for your help! :)

All these firewire incompatibilities seem like the thing we'll look back on in 5 years and say, "Wow, I can't believe had to do that!"

Shane Duff May 5th, 2003 10:42 PM

Sound tweaking in Premiere 6.0

I've found that in the final stages of sound editing when I want to do really small changes in volume or other things, that using the rubber bands on the timeline are very cumbersome and really unusable for small tweaks.

I've attempted using the sound editing window, but for some reason I can't get the audio sliders to write properly to the timeline. (i.e. set the audio slider to a dB that I want that audio track set at, click the write button, and it simply follows the rubber band settings)

Anything stupid I'm doing here?
Shane

K. Forman May 6th, 2003 05:17 AM

Try right clicking on the clip you want to adjust, then select "adjust audio properties", and "adjust gain". It works better than the rubber bands for adjusting the volume. The rubber bands are for fades, and dropping the volume for a voice over to be inserted.

Shane Duff May 6th, 2003 06:21 PM

That's a good trick, any others up anyones sleeve?