DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Jason Balich April 17th, 2003 12:43 PM

I have a PC running win 2000 professional - Dual 1.8, gig of Ram

I'm thinking of getting a copy of 6.5 update to premeire.

IS there a technique I should apply to capturing video? Like, having the camera turned to Play(VCR) at the time of loading premiere? I think i might of turned the camera on after.

Can this be a problem also? Are there video capture drivers I should consider instaling also? Im new to the capture game on PC's and getting it solid for transfer.

Garret Ambrosio April 17th, 2003 03:36 PM

There is no technique to get the software to recognize your camera. As long as you have the OHCI compliant 1394 Drivers installed and your 1394 card is OHCI compliant. Put the camera on VTR mode and it will be instantly recognized by the system when you you go into capture video in Premiere.

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 17th, 2003 06:12 PM

Adobe tends to be quite faithful to their release date promises, so at least you know that when they name a date, they mean it. The product will ship, bugs and all!

Kenn Jolemore April 18th, 2003 03:09 PM

Adobe has alot of good info at their site. Also there is a good board and knowledge base there to use that will help answer alot of the questions people always have when they are starting out with premiere. Registration is free and easy and well worth doing. Helpped me a bunch and I still find myself there once in awhile.http://studio.adobe.com/learn/tips/index.html?product=premiere&topic=video_editing

KennJ

Macauley Peterson April 18th, 2003 05:36 PM

Premiere 6 Project Trimmer ignores filters

Just an observation from my first foray into the world of the Premiere Project Trimmer:

In the trimmed project, all your audio and video filters are ignored. Strangely, they're still there, as in, they come over from the original project, and appear in the effects window, but Premiere will ignore them when previewing from the timeline.

You have to trash and reapply the filters to get the effects back. Simply disabling and re-enabling isn't enough. Annoying!

Tip: Be careful about filter order in the effects window! E.g. A clip followed by a horizontal flip is different that a horizontal flip followed by a clip.

Alex Taylor April 18th, 2003 05:44 PM

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that.

James Emory April 18th, 2003 07:20 PM

Missing Codec Issue

I have encountered the same issue with Premiere 6.5 displaying "missing codec" or just crashing when I try to export using custom settings. I just got my 6.5 upgrade today and the crap has already started. Check out this link on the Adobe site and once there, check the appropriate search bubble to narrow it down and then enter missing codec in the field. Look for message #17 for a possible patch link. I tried it and it didn't work. The encoder worked fine with their FREE 6.0 limited download tryout but not with their full purchased version. I'm going to call Adobe at the beginning of the week to find out what the hell is going on.

Adobe Forum Link:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...Mtq.1@.ee6b372

Jason Balich April 19th, 2003 10:38 AM

thanks for the adobe site tip

THanks guys! Now it is time to find a partner to film with in Toronto to work on my 2nd Demo reel.

Dale C. Elliott April 20th, 2003 05:34 AM

Hi Jason,

If you can, upgrade to 6.5, it will eliminate some problems you may have.

James Emory April 21st, 2003 12:15 PM

WME Patch

I found out why the patch link in my above post didn't work. Apparently, it was not an .exe file upon download and I had to just click on it activate it. After I did that, encoding now functions properly in Premiere. I just got off of the phone with Adobe tech support and the tech sent me a direct link from the Microsoft site that is the .exe patch. So, this should fix your problem. Apparently it is a fix for Service Pack 1 in XP.

The .exe patch:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/wmfdist2.exe

Clint Comer April 24th, 2003 11:45 PM

System crash using Premiere

Hi all, have a huge problem. I capture footage from mini dv using Premiere both 6 and 6.5, once its all in my bin I double click or drag into my source window my system reboots. It used to freeze and I would have to do a hard reboot, but now it does it it self. I am using a Athlon XP 2000+, 512 DDR 2100, two seperate drives, one that has my OS and one that I am captuering to. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and what I can do to fix it? I have read that alot of people have three drives, the two that I have listed and one for paging? Let me know what is the ideal setup. I have a 15 gig and a 120 gig. I am getting ready to reformat my pc. I have reinstalled Premiere as well so I am assuming its hardware. Help me O' DV masters...

Zac Stein April 25th, 2003 12:02 AM

Now this is strange a hard restart from dragging footage into a timeline, go ADOBE! heh heh

what is sounds like to me, is that premiere is trying to address memory in your system that dosn't exist, cause it to very quickly go into a loop looking for it, windows cracking it and doing a restart hoping that it will find the memory.

What OS are you actually running?
What motherboard?
Have you checked the motherboard rails with a power meter to find out if it is under powering your harddrive, this would be of course extremely unlikely but i have seen it happen in other situations.

If you are running windows ME or 98 you shouldn't be even asking questions because basically it is your own fault if you got problems, should be running XP pro.

I would suggest 2 things.
1. Download a trial of vegas video, try that, 99% sure it will work and you will never want to use premiere again.
2. Total system re-install and partitioning of that 120 gig drive.
Make sure you format the drives as NTFS as well to get over any size barriers of files on your drive.

In relation to the 3 drive thing, well i only run 2 drives and havn't had a problem at all, i did with premiere it liked to crash at the worst of times, but with vegas i have had a flawless run.

Anyways
Zac

Alex Knappenberger April 25th, 2003 12:05 AM

Actually, it would be his powersupply rails that he would want to check -- to see if they are underpowering his harddrive, or anything else.

Also, yeah, I bet if you try Vegas 4, you'll never want to use Premiere again. :D

I have two harddrives in my system. A 40GB and a 13.6GB one, both Western Digital, and both only 5400rpm (yes I know I need to upgrade my computer), and I only use my 13.6GB one for music, and my 40GB HDD for video and OS and programs, and i've never had any problem. It runs quite well too actually, so I don't see any need at all for 3 drives.

Try doing a format, and like already mentioned, hopefully your running atleast Windows 2000 or XP, and a NTFS filesystem. If I were you, i'd just use the 120GB HDD for everything, and just use the other one for other purposes...

Clint Comer April 25th, 2003 12:09 AM

its not when I drag in the timeline it's when I double click the file or drag it into my source window for setting the ins and outs of a clip before I drag it into the timeline. I am running XP Pro with the Soyo Dragon KT333 Ultra Platnium MoBo. I will try Vegas but for the time being I love Premiere and would love to figure this out.

Ed Smith April 25th, 2003 02:32 AM

Try resetting the premiere database and preferences. All you need to do is exit premiere, press shift and ctrl on the keyboard while opening up premiere. This will reset everything in premiere to how it was when it was first installed.

Otherwise are your paging files set to double the amount of RAM?

What about defragging the hard drives?

And what’s it with everyone slagging of Premiere!!!!

Hope these help,

Ed Smith