DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Hans Henrik Bang July 31st, 2004 09:43 AM

Gradually slowing down video/music

I have a scene that is supposed to look stressful, and then it calms down. I would therefore like to slow it down gradually, going from speed 400% to 100%. That should include the music track with "maintain original pitch".

My problem is that I cannot keyframe the speed attribute, so it remains constant for the entire scene.

Any ideas on how to achieve that?

Marc Sacco July 31st, 2004 10:02 AM

thanks guys! i will run them together (as long as it doesnt mess with my matrox configuration!) and get the time lapse i need!

yes, i did use the interval recording but had to speed it up somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000X to get it to look decent (it still didnt look as nice as the old time lapse capture though!)

thanks for all the help...
marc

Ed Smith July 31st, 2004 10:42 AM

Oh, you are using Matrox hardware. That might complicate issues, in terms of running both versions on the same machine.

The reason for this is that the Matrox driver is only meant for Premiere Pro, so trying to install it with 6.5 ain't going to help matters. Even if you try to install the 6.5 matrox driver aswell, the software probably won't know when to use the hardware.

I don't think it will matter if you run 1 with hardware, and then the other in software only. However I think that Matrox had a little app for 6.5 that done more timelapse stuff than the in-built timelapse capture done by Adobe.

It might be worth to contact Matrox, via phone, e-mail or forum, to see what they can advise.

Things might get hairy otherwise...

Ed

Leo Zheng July 31st, 2004 06:13 PM

Q. on frame loss while capturing

What causes loss of frames (sometimes it's such a pain in the a)? Is it a problem with system resources or the camcorder?
thx

Glenn Chan July 31st, 2004 06:22 PM

You mean dropped frames?

1- Hard drive not in DMA mode. (winXP) Go to control panel --> system --> hardware --> device manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
look under each controller's properties.
Go to advanced tab, check to see what DMA mode the hard drive is in. Higher is better (i.e. DMA mode 5 is good), but but the maximum depends on your hard drive.

2- Hard drive is over 85% full.

3- Bad interaction between your deck/camcorder and firewire drives. Get another firewire card or capture to internal drive.

4- Capturing to USB and firewire drives may cause problems.

5- Other programs that are running are competing for the hard drive. Check for viruses, adware, spyware, etc. Also try rebooting.

6- I've noticed Premiere will drop frames when you feed it bad signals (i.e. inconsistent timecode/video/audio). Try capturing from another mini-DV tape.

7- Your motherboard uses a VIA chipset (athlon XP processor).

You should give us more detail on your problem.
A- What device are you capturing from?
B- What device are you capturing to?
C- What version of Premiere?
D- How many dropped frames?
E- Are the dropped frames spread throrough?
F- When did this problem start occuring?
G- Does it always happen?

---
Maybe we should have a troubleshooting sticky somewhere for dropped frames. It would save some typing and would have more possible causes and solutions.

Billy Dalrymple July 31st, 2004 07:20 PM

Have you tried chopping the scene into multiple segments each with a different speed value? Will be sort of stair step depending on how many segments you cut the scene into, but should work.

Jimmy McKenzie July 31st, 2004 07:36 PM

Once you have your assets ready to go, you will then bring a copy of your waveform into your sound editing program. Select the area that you wish to transform and find the gliding stretch filter. This will slow the tempo down by adding time to accomplish the pitch stretch.
Kind of like in the old analogue days when you were playing a vinyl record and turned off the power to the turntable.

Nick Medrano July 31st, 2004 09:48 PM

Thanks, but I am sending this POS back on Monday....no other piece of equipment has frustrated me more than this one.

Hans Henrik Bang August 1st, 2004 03:12 AM

I guess the chopping up would work, but the sound editor sounds good too. I just don't have much experience with sound editors, but Ill look around.

Thanks.

Mark Williams August 1st, 2004 05:42 AM

Is the problem it won't recognize it or you don't have device control? I have a similar unit and it works ok. Try pressing the channel control on the JVC until it reads "F-1" this might help.

Nick Medrano August 1st, 2004 09:05 AM

Been there done that. I can not get Premiere to recognize the VCR...meaning that I can not import/export or even control the device control. I did a search and saw that many other people in other forums have had the same problems.

You get what you pay for.

It's okay, it's already packed up and ready to ship back to B&H.

Richard Maloney August 1st, 2004 12:02 PM

Doesn't load the video effect presets- help

I had premere 1.0 and it wasn't showing the 2 video effects, motion and opacity; however the volume was there.
Now I uninstalled ver.1.0 and installed 1.5 and the motion and opacity still aren't there!
So my question is: what do you think is going on here? (I'm guessing its a conflict somewhere) or if that fails can u recommend a 3rd party plug in that would replace the motion and opacity filters?

Matthew de Jongh August 1st, 2004 03:15 PM

i really wish somebody would write a plug-in to give us this feature...

it would be great to have this sort of flexibility on footage that we have already shot, withing having to thought ahead of time that we might want to do this with it.

matthew

Bankim Jain August 2nd, 2004 11:44 AM

Thats a million dollar question ! How the damn do we slow down the video speed & gradually speed it up ! I look forward to sugestion !!!

Ed Smith August 2nd, 2004 01:14 PM

Adobe have not yet included that feature into Prmiere. It is possible via after effects.

If you want to do it via premiere you will need to cut the clip into segments and then assign each one a different speed.

If you want something a bit smoother, then this plugin might help you out:

http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm

Cheers,