DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Charley Gallagher August 13th, 2004 07:39 PM

I used Premiere 6.5 for awhile and it did the job. I loved the look and feel of Premiere Pro but had similar problems to yours, Brian. I would spend a lot of time with Task Manager running and watch where the memory was going. I ended up putting in 1.5 meg of memory and most of the lag problems went away.

However I feel there is a memory leak in Windows or in Premiere Pro, at least on my machine. Memory is used, then when it is no longer needed, it isn't given back. It is likened to an Inn where people sign in and are supposed to sign out. On a busy day it would appear that all 100 or so rooms are taken, according to the REGISTRY because 30 of the people who left never signed out.

I know Windows XP leaks memory and I somewhere found a fix for that (don't ask, I can no longer find the source and I just reinstalled Windows tonite but might not need it as Vegas does behave poorly) but my take on the situation is that Premiere must do it also, OR something on my machine, and your machine, is doing it.

Just a suggestion but watch your performance in Task Manager when it gets slow. Then save the project and reboot. Try the very same task and see if it doesnt run better. I would reboot Premiere Pro after long periods of use and it always came back running better.

Tyler Smith August 14th, 2004 02:47 AM

online premiere 6.0 help

Hi,

well i've just got into this editing game and am popping my cherry with premiere 6.0. I'm kinda struggling with basic concepts and need some help (like how to get those transtions to work!)

I am a recent ex-student and am low on cash (thats kind of why I ended up with this old version of premiere), as such i was wondering if anyone new where i could access an online resource where i could score some free info.

thanks

tyler

Rob Lohman August 14th, 2004 05:58 AM

I don't think Premiere Pro supports that yet, but I could be wrong on that.

Carl Walters August 14th, 2004 09:08 AM

I'ver now got my ppro 1.5, installed and running. After sorting out the set up (i use it with Matrox) I must say I am more than over the moon with it. SO far so good. At last I can sit down and edit without bugs and freezes.
(I'll bet now the next time I use it I get a problem!!)

Richard Maloney August 14th, 2004 03:04 PM

I think its great also.
The stability is improved, but I would recommend that you change the default auto-save to 5 minutes and make backups as you go file>save as copy. Also, the things we ask it to do once you get speedy are really intensive for the computer so give it a bit of breathing time eg. when its conforming an audio file wait till its done- not long!

Steven Gotz August 14th, 2004 03:48 PM

You might want to start by watching some free tutorials at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com

Drop by my site for links to other tutorials sites (and lots of other links). You might even want to spend $25 and take the VTC tutorials online.

Mark Williams August 14th, 2004 05:40 PM

Tyler,

Try the following:

http://www.adobe.com/education/dvtraining/premiere6/main.html

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b372

Both are good sources to get the basics. Also, if 6.0 is stable on your system you will find it quite capable of doing all kinds of special effects type stuff. I have used it for years and have yet to outgrow it even though it is tempting to go with the newest software with all the latest bells and whistles. But, just look at any good production and they use mostly basic disolves and cuts. Thats where I believe you need to be starting out. I use the 6.5 version and expect it to meet my needs for many years to come.

Regards,

Mark

Christopher Reynolds August 15th, 2004 02:39 PM

Transfer 6.5 files to Pro 1.5

I recently bought Premiere Pro 1.5, didn't upgrade due to...well, legal reasons that I will omit from here. BUT, I'm glad I didn't upgrade because when I installed Premiere Pro 1.5, I tried loading my Premiere 6.5 files with it, and of course, it had to conform the file to a Premiere Pro 1.5 file. When I loaded the file finally, all seemed fine, but when I played it (It was a music video without fancy effects and strobing, so the sound synch had to be perfect) the sound was horribly out of synch, and many of my effects were gone! Since then, I stuck with Premiere 6.5 to finish out the editing, then exported it to an AVI file to add titles in Premiere Pro 1.5 (6.5 had a horrible flaw in titles where if you changed the shadow color form anything but black, it would turn into a blotchy mess). It isn't an issue anymomre, but just curious if other people had this problem before. I keep hearing people praise Vegas and bash Premiere, but my girlfriend and I just spent $1,600 on the Video collection Pro set, and I'm very happy with it, and don't plan on changing NLE platforms due to the price of doing such. Anywho, what was your experience in transferring 6.5 files to 1.5?

Steven Gotz August 15th, 2004 08:37 PM

As you discovered, the import of the older product's files into the newer product was not flawless. A new set of effects, and a new codec, really made the changes significant, and most people just finish up in the old program and then move on.

I would like to have seen a more seamless import, but it just didn't happen.

Jeremy Bond August 16th, 2004 01:25 PM

Bad Picture Quality on 6.0

Hi, Using Premiere 6.0 and just starting out. Shot some footage, captured using firewire and edited with Premiere. But when I look at the edited footage it's a really bad quality - quite "line"y in parts. When you then look at it on full screen (as an AVI in Media Player) it looks even worse, like it's video shot on a poor mega pixelled digital stills camera that deos a few seconds of video! What's up? Help MUCH appreciated!! Thanks ,,,,,,

Glenn Chan August 16th, 2004 01:38 PM

Does it look fine on a TV? Hook up a TV to your camcorder/deck.

Ken Wagner August 16th, 2004 03:44 PM

Why use Premiere to do time laps when you can use Scenalyzer? Check it out. .. awesome little application. I think the link would be www.scenalyzer.com. Much better than Premeires DV capture interface.

. . .and no, I'm not associated with Scenalyzer.

Richard Lewis August 16th, 2004 04:48 PM

Hi Carl, glad to see that its all working.

It's really nice to finally edit without glitches and freezes.

Are u using the Matrox rtx 100 extreme?

Jeremy Bond August 16th, 2004 05:03 PM

Well I don't have the cables required to go to TV from my computer. It's fine on the camera itself, but it's when the image is captured on the computer...Any clues?.... Thanks

Carl Walters August 16th, 2004 05:43 PM

......Are u using the Matrox rtx 100 extreme?...

Yes I am Richard. I purchased the extreme pro kit earlier this year, i missed out on the free upgrade to 1.5 by just 8 days. At least it's working okay now.