DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Matt Blair January 9th, 2004 09:53 AM

Is there a way to adjust pitch of the audio in Premiere 6.5?

For some background information. . . .I film and edit rollerblading videos. I like to slow down footage, but I've always cut the audio out because it was way too low of a pitch, and seemed way out of place. I am trying to figure out a way to increase the pitch of the audio, so that it SOUNDS like there has been no adjustments in speed of the audio.

The speed adjustment is noticeable in the video. . . .but, I want the audio to sound more like all the other 100% speed audios.

For some of you that don't know what kind of "pitch" I'm talking about. . . . pitch would be the difference between the low, deep voice of a man. . .compared to the high, sometimes screechy voice of a woman.

Ed Smith January 9th, 2004 11:01 AM

I'm not to sure on a dedicated pitch filter, but I suggest playing around with all the others to see whether you can get the same effect.

Ed

Tony Pham January 11th, 2004 09:14 PM

Adding Same Transition on all Cuts in Premiere 6.5?

Hi everyone,

I searched the forum about this topic and found one post with no reply in PPRO forum. I just wonder if there's a way to do this. I want to add the same transition on all of my cuts on the timeline. Is there a way to do that instead of adding transition one by one? Thanks.

Paul Tauger January 12th, 2004 10:25 PM

Adobe Plug-in for Gamma Adjustments?

I've gotten spoiled by the "levels" control in Photoshop that let me easily adjust gamma. Is there any kind of plug-in for Premiere that will let me do this for clips (and, hopefully, won't take 5 days to render 10 seconds?).

Thanks.

Ed Smith January 13th, 2004 06:42 AM

What version of premiere are you using?

If you are exporting out as a movie avi/ mov/ mpg etc then in settings under special processing you can adjust the gamma. If you then want to export to your tape you will need to import the avi file and export to dv as normal.

Cheers,

Adrian Douglas January 13th, 2004 06:45 AM

Paul,

If you have After Effects, or know some one that does you will find just what you are looking for.

Glenn Chan January 13th, 2004 06:49 AM

Premiere Pro has curves, which will let you adjust gamma.

You can also export an image sequence for Photoshop to batch process with actions or batch actions.

Paul Tauger January 13th, 2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

What version of premiere are you using?
I'm using Premiere 6.5.
Quote:

Premiere Pro has curves, which will let you adjust gamma.
I'm holding off upgrading to Pro until I get a new computer (mine is only 1.4Ghz) and can also afford to replace my real-time card (a Pinnacle ProOne, now orphaned and abandoned by Pinnacle).
Quote:

If you are exporting out as a movie avi/ mov/ mpg etc then in settings under special processing you can adjust the gamma. If you then want to export to your tape you will need to import the avi file and export to dv as normal.
Adjusting gamma on export won't do it, since I need to set levels for each clip.

Quote:

If you have After Effects, or know some one that does you will find just what you are looking for.
I do have a copy of AfterEffects 5.5. Is there anyway to use it within Premiere? It would be kind of a pain to have work on each clip individually, export it, then bring it back into Premiere.

Adrian Douglas January 13th, 2004 10:24 AM

Paul, you can import your Premiere project file into AE and work on it that way but you can't work with AE from inside Premiere.

It's not really a good idea to limit yourself to one app as this basically limits you to what you can do, nothing can do it all. Man, I often use Premiere, AE, Photoshop and even Vegas to get the job done. It is a pain in the butt but that's just the way things go unless you have big-dollar gear.

Mark Jefferson January 13th, 2004 10:45 AM

Paul, Premiere 6.5 has a built-in gamma adjustment filter. It is unnder Video->Adjust. That being said, the tools in Premiere are somewhat limited. The gamma adjustment is kind of a brut-force type thing. If you want fine control over the image, you will need something like AfterEffects. There are other tools out there that will accomplish what you want, but I'm only familiar with AE and Premiere. One you edit your project with Premiere, save it and then import it into AE. You can adjust color or add effects to your heart's content, then save the project and bring it back into Premiere. This is the work-flow I use. Once in Premiere, you can output the file to whatever codec, or make other fine adjustments. From what I've heard, Vegas Video and Avid DV allow you to color correct the video from within the app. Also, there are plug-ins for Premiere you can buy that will do what you want. Hope this helps

Patrick Falls January 13th, 2004 10:58 AM

generic capture cards and premiere??

ok, i have a generic dv capture card that came with my hp. will i have a noticeable difference in picture quality if i purchased a name brand capture card from a place like best buy, sears, circuit city? does each program ( premiere, vegas, fcp, msp ) add any processing to the footage when capturing?

Amir Shehata January 13th, 2004 06:54 PM

Primeire Pro and 16:9 aspect ratio

Hi,

I shoot all my footage in 16:9 aspect ratio using a Sony PDX10. Afterwards I import this footage in a widescreen premiere project. The frame aspect ratio is always set to 720x480. Therefore when I export my footage to avi everything seems stretched horizontally.

Now, at the end of the day I want to put my footage on DVD and have it played on a TV in 16:9 aspect ratio. I have never done this before.

My question is when I burn my footage on DVD will it still appear horizontally stretched? or will the DVD burning software some how encode it on the DVD that it is 16:9 and thus when the DVD player plays it, it will stretch the video appropriately.

I'm still new to this domain, so I hope I made some sense.

Thanks

Jonathan Stanley January 13th, 2004 07:32 PM

What DVD burning program are you using?

Ed Smith January 14th, 2004 06:24 AM

There is no loss in quality with differnt non-branded generic capture cards. You can get hardware accerelated capture cards that have an on board codec which will give better quality - i.e. the Matrox LE capture board.

Quality is determined by 2 things:

1) Your camera, i.e. your orginal footage you captured while recording.

2) The codec used when capturing into your computer.

There is not much difference between the generic codecs used in the programs you have mentioned.

Hope this helps a little.

Ed

Rob Lohman January 14th, 2004 06:33 AM

If you have a firewire card that "captures" DV then it will make
no difference AT ALL which card you are using (quality wise that
is!). Even if the cards ships with the ultra-deluxe-very-best-codec
then it will not improve your quality WHILE capturing. Why?
Because a DV capture is just a simple "file" transfer over your
firewire link. The camera has already compressed the footage
into DV with its own internal codec. So the card in your PC does
nothing other then to transfer the footage.

Now if you are capturing from an analog source the story gets
different. You can use an external device (sometimes your
camera) like the Canopus ADVC which has a builtin codec to
convert the footage realtime to DV which you can then just
capture in the same manner (and thus the same points as above
apply. Quality is determined in the ADVC in this example).

If you are using an analog capture board (with composite / SVHS
in for example) then it's a different animal. Most boards will use
an MJPEG codec which you will get on CD with the board. The
quality is highly dependend on this codec since the boards
basically operate in raw YUV. So you could capture to another
codec as well if you want (and have the processing speed). Most
analog capture utilities don't support realtime encoding to DV
with these boards I think (at least not a year ago or so).

So only in this last example will the codec you choose have any
influence on the quality of the capture (along with the quality of
the components on the capture board etc. ofcourse).