DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Jeff Klein March 5th, 2004 12:32 PM

Steve,
I think Ed hit the nail on the head with the 'activate recording deck' idea. So far, export to tape is the only method I've used with Premiere 6.0 (don't have a DVD burner at home yet). I go to a GL-1 and it works fine, but my first attempts failed because I hadn't checked 'activate recording deck'.

Jeff K.

Ed Smith March 5th, 2004 12:53 PM

Hi Jeff,

I have driver version 4.5 just to confirm.

Have you checked to see whether your hardware is compatible with the DV500 card.

If I come across something i'll let you know.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed Smith March 5th, 2004 12:55 PM

Talk about bringing back an old thread - thats over 2 years old!!!

I do hope Steve has solved his problem by now :)

Jeff Klein March 5th, 2004 03:24 PM

The only questionable piece seems to be the motherboard, which isn't on the compatibility list but I'm waiting on response from Pinnacle for confirmation. The motherboard's a whole separate battle in itself; I ordered the computer from ABS with a Gigabit motherboard with Intel chipset and during this video problem troubleshooting I discovered they'd put in an MSI SiS chipset based motherboard, which has some similar problems to VIA based motherboards. I'm hoping to get ABS to replace it since we're still under our 2 year service contract (crossing my fingers).

Jeff Klein March 5th, 2004 03:26 PM

Haha! Wow, I should check the dates more often. I found this thread on a search for Premiere related problems....

Jeff

Adrian Douglas March 5th, 2004 04:55 PM

Jeff,

I'm also running a DV500/Prem 6.5 and am having no problems at all. You've hit the nail on the head with your motherboard suspicion. The DV500 is the pickiest piece of hardware on the planet and doesn't play well with others. I had a similar problem when I first bought the DV500 4 years ago. The guys who originally built the machine didn't pay attention to the motherboard and I could never get the machine to work properly. I totally rebuilt it with a compatable motherboard, second HDD, and a Matrox G400 graphics card over the GEForce card they put in and it has been rock solid since the V2.0 drivers came out. I'm currently using V4.5/Prem 6.5 but have had no problems, other than the dodgy DVTools capture app, since V2.0. I had Prem 6.0 and also had no problems.

The Audigy could also be causing a problem as some people have reported problems with firewire conflicts. If you get the new motherboard you will need to set the DV500 up one either PCI slot 1 or 2 with it's own IRQ. This is very important in getting everythign stable. IRQ sharing and the DV500 are two words you shouldn't use in the same sentence.

If the church gives you the go-ahead on the second hard drive you will also notice a big improvement in stability and performance but that goes for pretty much any NLE system and not just the DV500.

Adrian Douglas March 5th, 2004 05:39 PM

This is a common problem with Premiere and hardware supported NLE systems like the DV500. One thing to alwys do to ensure that Premiere picks up the camera is to make sure that the camera is connected and switched on before booting up your computer. This allows the coputer to recognise the firewire device during the driver/device sequence of the boot. I do this every time I edit and have never had a problem with Premiere not exporting to the camera.

Heath McKnight March 5th, 2004 08:01 PM

That's right, Darren. I would do all my upconverts that way, too. I like that I can do upconverts even just to various HDTVs for playback purposes. I crashed my 1.6 ghz G5 trying to do an output to 1080i. But I hear the AJA Kona card can help out with upconverts--Darren can confirm or deny that, since he actually has one! ;-)

heath

Darren Kelly March 5th, 2004 10:35 PM

I've both upconverted, and down converted the signal and played it out the KONA card.

It works fine. The key is hard drive speed.

DBK

Jeff Klein March 9th, 2004 08:51 AM

Well, I called ABS this morning and they claim that I ordered the MSI motherboard, even though I told them that the only motherboard offered with the system at the time was the Gigabit model with the 845 chipset....but I have no proof so I guess I eat this one. God, give me strength!!

Hopefully moving the PCI slots around will help, I've read elsewhere that SiS chipsets have a chance of working (50/50) but I'm not getting my hopes up. Can I get some suggestions of moderately priced motherboards that have worked well with the DV500 in case I have to go that route?

Thanks,
Jeff K.

Adrian Douglas March 9th, 2004 08:57 AM

Jeff check out this page for a full list of compatable motherboards.

Ed Smith March 9th, 2004 12:39 PM

Oh dear Jeff, Its a shame that some companies do that. There is nothing worse than finding what you ordered is not exactly what you get. I guess you should have rasied the question when you first brought it.

As Adrian said check out the compatable motherboard list from Pinnacle and then do more research into the mobo when you have picked one.

Obviously there is no guarantee that a new mobo will fix the problem. It might be worth holding out a little bit longer to see if anyone else can come up with anything.

All the best,

Ed

Tim Frank March 9th, 2004 10:54 PM

Can't Find Timecode Error - EVERY TIME on Premiere Pro! Captures 54 Frames then STOPS

Okay, here's my problem. I just got a BRAND NEW GL2, I go into Premiere Pro to capture the video like I always do, nothing has changed, I haven't changed anything. I click on Record, I click on Play...it will capture 54 Frames then say cannot find timecode...it does this NOMATTER where I am on the tape. There are not timecode breaks. I can capture properly in Vegas however it drops frames like crazy, 118 frames for 10 min of video which is absolutely unacceptable to me.

I've tried Premiere 6.0 and 6.5 and they both do the same thing, cpature 54 frames then freeze. I even went so far as to load the Premiere Pro trial on another computer of mine and it does the exact same thing. I have NO idea what the problem could be and it is REALLY stressing me out as you can see by the caps!!!

I would use Vegas but i fear the problem is deeper in something else as it drops frames when I capture in that.

Also, when I do capture in 6.0, 6.5 or Pro, I can turn off device control and hit record and hit play on the camera and it will SOMETIMES record okay, however it turns our very choppy in parts and is still unusable video. Windows Movie Maker seems to be the only thing that captures properly and the quality is horrible on that, even with DVI capture turned on.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have a project that I'll be filming on the weekend and I need this to work!!! My friend with a GL2 used the same copy of 6.0 as I just did and he doesn't have these problems!!

BTW I did a search and found nothing on this.

Tim Frank March 9th, 2004 10:59 PM

Okay, I just did a test with an old tape and it will capture using both device control and no device control enabled when I'm using footage filmed on my old TRV38, however not new footage I filmed on my GL2. It is still somewhat choppy but it does not show dropped frames even though there is no doubt you can see where its dropping them.

Ed Smith March 10th, 2004 05:02 AM

Tim,

Where are you viewing the footage when you capture, via a TV or on the PC monitor?

How about loading the same clip that is choppy into windows media player and see whther it is still choppy there?

Did you record in frame mode?

What are you using as your tape deck? Have you tried playing the GL2 footage in your sony camera, and then capture via your sony camera?

PC spec etc might be useful.

Thanks,

Ed